PDA

View Full Version : Starter gone bad¿

mag_pbg
11-18-2004, 09:04 PM
I got to work, worked came out to my car and went to star it, only..... it just cranks for a few seconds then slows way down like it is bogging, then just quite alltogether, after 2 or 3 attempts I looked under the hood, and there was some nice smoke coming from that area, and a really bad smell like something had burnt up. Could this be the starter¿ Here for awhile now it would crank and then bog down real bad and the last day or so it has taken several minutes to acually start the car. I just want to make sure that it is the stater since I have limited funds right now and im a bit in debt, also would it be just the same to buy new bushings or a new selinoid (sp) for it and make it work¿

Neuspeed87lx
11-18-2004, 09:05 PM
sure sounds like the starter too me...prob cheapest to check ebay... or a junkyard ...but you may get screwed there

AZmike
11-18-2004, 09:42 PM
My starter did the same thing intermittently until I took it apart and cleaned it up. Now it works every time. You just need to scrape out the grooves in the part that spins under the brushes (the communicator). If it doesn't fix it at least you know you're not replacing a useable part.

frankie89
11-18-2004, 09:43 PM
yup its might be da starter but its weird that it smokes from dat area, mine just cliked over and wouldnt start so i went and bought a brand new starter for about 50 bucks but thats wit connections. well see if anybody else has had a clue good luck!!! :beer:

BlueBead
11-18-2004, 11:54 PM
I'd either do what mike said or go rip one out at the junkyard;
Cheap= Good Enough For Now.
My starter used to grab and I'd have to hit it with my lugwrench to knock it loose inside. It'd go then, but it sounds like your starter isn't getting enough torque. Hope you get it figured out. G'luck

mag_pbg
11-19-2004, 06:08 AM
So you think it is is the starter¿ Well it looks like Im off to Autozone to buy a new one.

POS carb
11-19-2004, 08:31 AM
I think it's the starter but it is so bad that it smoked I wouldn't try to fix it you probably cooked all the windings