PDA

View Full Version : quick ? PLEASE HELP!!

1987HondaAccord
11-19-2004, 12:03 AM
ok, i'm preparing to do a 5 speed swap, so i thought i'd lay out all the parts to see that they fit and make sure everything works first. i connected the shifter linkage to the tranny, but i can't get it to shift from side to side (like 1 to 3). which part is supposed to accomplish this? is 14 supposed to twist and that's how it works, or is 18 supposed to move that other part in and out? 18 doesn't seem to budge at all!!

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SE00_J22.gif

thanks in advance!

Dutchboy
11-19-2004, 01:07 AM
18 wont move !!!!! 14 is supposed to move side to side
Can you move it up and down (1st - 2nd????) if so undo the linkage at the tranny..just #14 and see if lets you move the shifter side to side then! if it doest still its got to be something wrong in the shifter itself... if it does then try to pull and wiggle the piece sticking out the tranny to see that it moves in out.. side to side!! sure hope that you figure it out.. hate to see ya have to pull the tranny again!!!

1987HondaAccord
11-19-2004, 01:11 AM
how is it supposed to shift side to side? by twisting? i forgot to pick up the bushings, so i have to go back to the junk yard and pick those up (16 and 17) but can i check by putting the handle of a wrench in there and twisting?

maka_RTH
11-19-2004, 01:12 AM
yes, 14 is the one that moves, and on the tranny itself, the dealy that sticks out actually twists, it doesn't move side to side. you twist it counter-clockwise for first and second(out for first, in for second), and twist it clockwise for fifth and reverse(out for fifth, in for reverse).

Dutchboy
11-19-2004, 01:15 AM
yes just take something that fits and twist it and pull it or push.... if its not moving it side to side make sure it aint in gear!!!!!! youll feel it click in and out of gears ..... the shifter should always be able to move side to side when in nuetral but to get it in some gears when its not running might not always mesh proper ..make sure that the bars are intall the right way and not binding or hitting against anything

1987HondaAccord
11-19-2004, 01:23 AM
ok, i think i figured it out. i think the main problem is that i don't have those bushings. but i got it into 5th, so i think the others should be ok. the reason i don't have the bushings is that i go the tranny from adam, and the shift linkage from ebay. neither gave me the bushings. but i got the pedals at the 'pick a part' for $23 :rockon:

1987HondaAccord
11-19-2004, 01:25 AM
yes, 14 is the one that moves, and on the tranny itself, the dealy that sticks out actually twists, it doesn't move side to side. you twist it counter-clockwise for first and second(out for first, in for second), and twist it clockwise for fifth and reverse(out for fifth, in for reverse).

isn't first in? and second out? you push the shifter forward, so it pushes the thing in towards the tranny.

and thanks for the really quick replies, even though it is the middle of the night!

Dutchboy
11-19-2004, 01:30 AM
no problem !! i dont work till 10am anyway...now i wish i could figure out my shifting prob...hahaha the never ending projects !!
i see your in Riverside Ca .. just reminds me of my 3000mile trip in january to Indio !! i passed through your city!! just some useless info for you....sorry im getting tired going to catch some zzzsss now ...GOOD LUCK!!

maka_RTH
11-19-2004, 02:24 AM
isn't first in? and second out? you push the shifter forward, so it pushes the thing in towards the tranny.

and thanks for the really quick replies, even though it is the middle of the night!

actually, if you think about it, the shifter has a pivot point(the ball part of it), so when you're in the car and push the shifter forward, it's actually pulling the shift linkage(#14) back, therefore out, of the tranny. it's like a see-saw, one side is up, the other is down. one side is forward, the other is back.

1987HondaAccord
11-19-2004, 06:39 AM
oh yeah! i forgot about that. oops.