PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket oil seals

Dutchboy
11-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Has anyone else on the board here replaced there transmision oil seals with other than honda seals and had problems???

I redid my clutch 1 month ago... i replaced all oil seals - rear main and all tranny seals. right away i get a oil leak (this is after i already ruined one seal on the drivers tranny output seal IF you do do them This seal doesnt bottom on anything!!!!!!!!! just to warn.. )
Anyway i replace it for the third time and still have this leak!! frustrated i am... I have been using a Chicago - Rawhide seal .
So if theres anyone who has had a similar problem what fixxed it??

i dont know if the stupid reman cv shaft i also put in has anything to do with it!! never buy reman shafts!!! first one lasted 4 months!

AccordEpicenter
11-19-2004, 06:56 AM
it is common for non honda seals to leak, especially rear main. also are you sure that you are installing the seal correctly

carotman
11-19-2004, 06:57 AM
I don't know if the aftermarket seals are good. I'm always using Genuine honda seals so Idon't have to mess with fitment problems or leaks. The Honda parts aren't that more expensive.

Make sure the seal is installed properly and not crooked or anything.

nswst8
11-19-2004, 07:32 AM
On the seals, I used a Felpro Rear main seal and I beleive that it is leaking. What I found out with Majestic that they list to separate rear main seals so I had then confirm with the VIN to ship me the correct on I'm hoping that the Felpro will last until spring.

But as a general rule I usually go with genuine Honda seals I've just had to many other seals not set properly.

Good luck

Dutchboy
11-19-2004, 09:03 PM
I know how to install oil seals...... i do it almost daily on big mutha trucks...im a apprentice mechanic..I did however get my boss to install the rear main just so i wouldnt fry that one .. any seal but that one!!!!
i got to steam clean my engine when it is warm sometime and see excactly were its leaking now...
i dont care if the rear main leaks one bit.. my old one leaked for the last 2 years and it never got on the clutch so im not worried about that happening ....
Thanks for the replies.... im going to see what honda has....youd be surprised...dealer oem these days dont mean anything. Im just glad i get a huge discount on parts other wise i would be one upset person...
Thanks again