PDA

View Full Version : stretched clutch cable?

mouchyn
11-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Ok, so I have only had this accord for a year. It's been a great daily driver and, luckily, i haven't had to open the hood for much more than oil changes and fuse replacements.

Now that i have some time and money, i'm starting take care of all the little things i've been putting off. For instance, my clutch pedal travel. It wasn't engaging until the top of the pedal's travel. So, i go to adjust the cable tensioner on the tranny and what do i find? That plastic adjusting bolt thing is damn near all the way out! Stupid cable clutches. I definitely took my 3G prelude for granted...

This is confusing. The dealer i bought the car from said the clutch is relatively new (a year and a few months, now). It grabs very well. I can even start moving from a dead stop in 4th gear!

-Is it common for these clutch cables to stretch? Maybe the cable is just stretched out and the adjustment bolt isn't long enough to take up the slack anymore...
-Is my clutch worn down, but still grabby? Is it possible that my clutch needs to be replaced even though it grabs like a fat kid on a cookie?

any input would be appreciated.

k-roy
11-19-2004, 07:39 AM
I was in the same situation and I went ahead and replaced the cable. It was a little tricky to install but well worth it.

pimp86LX
11-19-2004, 08:56 AM
woah woah woah...the 3g lude isn't a cable?.....well....not that i would notice. I've only had my hood open for oil changes and a tune up. :thumbup:

mouchyn
11-19-2004, 09:17 AM
woah woah woah...the 3g lude isn't a cable?.....well....not that i would notice. I've only had my hood open for oil changes and a tune up. :thumbup:
yeah, that's what i'm saying. the lude is a hydraulic clutch. No cables to stretch...

how much was that replacement clutch cable?

AccordEpicenter
11-19-2004, 10:13 AM
id rather have a cable clutch than a hydro

'A20A3'
11-19-2004, 12:45 PM
id rather have a cable clutch than a hydro

Word. Alot simpler and easier to maintain.

AccordEpicenter
11-19-2004, 01:52 PM
if somthing breaks, no clutch slave or master to dick around with... just get another cable

k-roy
11-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Cable clutches are simplier, lighter and cheaper than hydrolic units. You also get better pedel feedback, and can feather it a little more precisely.
I got my OEM cable for about $35 from a dealership.

Busted_Blue
11-21-2004, 08:01 PM
plus you can adjust pedal height with a twist of a nut! :D

MarioBurke
11-22-2004, 12:39 PM
but if you twist the nut to hard and break your rod thats when accidents happen

mouchyn
11-22-2004, 12:46 PM
that was kinda dirty... ;)