PDA

View Full Version : flex pipes

buster133
07-29-2002, 05:33 PM
I have had a leaky flex pipe for awhile now on my 89 LXi coupe. It's not that loud yet, but its annoying and makes the car sound cheap and at anytime, it could just completely go. I know a new replacement pipe from Honda is expensive and out of the question, so I have been reading up on this topic and am aware of my options, but I did some research and found something interesting at JC Whitney's online catalog. Its a stainless exhaust flex coupler kit. Basically you just splice the new section in and attach it with the supplied clamps, but I was wondering if this clamping method is as rigid as having the pipes welded together. I have seen universal mufflers and pipes attached together with clamps when they are new, and it seems to work,but would I have a problem trying to clamp a new pipe section onto a pipe that's been under the car for almost 13 years, I don't want to collapse or break my existing pipes. Plus with all the heat and vibration, would the clamps loosen themselves over time.I am trying to find an easy way to fix this leak. I would be interested in hearing about others experiences on fixing broken or leaky flex pipes.