PDA

View Full Version : aluminum flywheel question.

MarioBurke
11-19-2004, 11:15 PM
has anyone else had a problem smogging the car with the aluminum flywheel on???

86LXItooFAST4me
11-20-2004, 05:35 AM
take it off and sell it to me :D

MarioBurke
11-20-2004, 09:29 AM
you gotta 4th gen LX or EX 5spd i can buy?

86LXItooFAST4me
11-20-2004, 09:40 AM
there are some in the austin paper for like $500-1000

AccordEpicenter
11-20-2004, 11:33 AM
has anyone else had a problem smogging the car with the aluminum flywheel on???

Why would you have a problem with it?

MarioBurke
11-20-2004, 12:50 PM
im trying to tell my mom it doesnt matter. Cause the Honda shop that fucked up my car said it was because the aluminum flywheel. the only reason the flywheel would interfere with smog is because the Crank Speed sensor uses the steel flywheel to read. well that is why the aluminum flywheel has a steel ring and steel teeth around the outside. and for that matter I dont even know if OBD - 0 HAS that sensor??

AccordEpicenter
11-20-2004, 06:29 PM
im trying to tell my mom it doesnt matter. Cause the Honda shop that fucked up my car said it was because the aluminum flywheel. the only reason the flywheel would interfere with smog is because the Crank Speed sensor uses the steel flywheel to read. well that is why the aluminum flywheel has a steel ring and steel teeth around the outside. and for that matter I dont even know if OBD - 0 HAS that sensor??

No sensors read off the flywheel, or off of the crank pulley for that matter. Aluminum flywheels are all the go

acranox
11-21-2004, 05:48 AM
Well, here's a thought. The aluminum means less inertia at the crankshaft, so when you let off the gas the idle drops more quickly. If the idle drops quicker than the fuel feed you'd end up running rich for a fraction of a second and dumping some unburned fuel through the exhaust.
I would think it would be a small difference, if any at all.

MarioBurke
11-21-2004, 03:33 PM
No sensors read off the flywheel, or off of the crank pulley for that matter. Aluminum flywheels are all the go

Yes on OBD II there are. It is how the speed density system measures air flow. Map Sensor, Crank Sensor, and Throttle Position Sensor.

acranox I agree with what you were saying. what happened was the Honda shop moved my timing belt back like 17 degrees or something like that. I dunno exactly what happened cause my mom took it in for me while i was in school.

Strugglebucket
11-21-2004, 05:21 PM
what happened was the Honda shop moved my timing belt back like 17 degrees
:wtf:how!? why!?

acranox
11-22-2004, 07:02 AM
I think he means they adjusted his timing, not his timing belt.
and he probably means it's now 17 degrees BTDC.

MarioBurke
11-22-2004, 10:08 AM
I think he means they adjusted his timing, not his timing belt.
and he probably means it's now 17 degrees BTDC.

no he physically pulled the belt and moved the crankshaft because i have two marks on my flywheel. because there are no marks on the flywheel he just guessed.

Strugglebucket
11-22-2004, 03:34 PM
he just guessed
man, that is some f@cked-up, repugnant sh#t.