PDA

View Full Version : wtf! strut project is SLOW, help me~

bobafett
07-29-2002, 06:26 PM
alright, well it took me 2 minutes to get the strut and spring assembly off of the car, and 7 hours to get the GOD DAMNED spring off!!!!!

but alas, i managed to do it, and i know how to make it easier for the other corners. my problem now, is how the hell i assemble the new struts and what stuff i have to recycle.

i have koni's in the front, and i am not having much luck setting them up. first i put the metal peice down the shaft of the strut (the peice that holds the bottom of the spring) after that i have been trying to get that foamy peice down over the notch on the skinny metal rod coming out of it. i have had no luck, and i dont know what to do next. i would be VERY grateful if somone could list EXACTLY the order of how this shit goes together, and list a description of the peices, so i put the right one in the right spot!

right now i am frusterated, since i was stuck all day, and i finally got the spring off, and dissassembled the old stuff, and now i cant figure out how to set up the new stuff! :(

help quick please!

Jims 86LXI HB
07-29-2002, 11:12 PM
Ok, I'll have to wait until daylight and I'll wander out to my car and gather the parts so I can walk myself through it and then I'll reply here. I will also tell you how to install the lowering springs with out using a spring compresser. If I haven't replied when you get on the board in the am, make sure you've got a allen key that will fit perfectly with next to no play into the top of the Koni's strut rod, if not go buy one, and take a strut with up to make sure the fit is really good.

see ya in the morning.

YK86
07-29-2002, 11:38 PM
Look at the diagram below. Depending on how low you go and if your new strut didn't come with one, install the bump stop (part #11), the original bottom spring liner (#14), then the new spring, then the original dust boot (#9), original washer (#10), original top spring liner (#8), then the original top mount (#6) with two new bushings and one collar already installed (#12 and #13, should come with the new strut), then the new washer and nut that came with the new strut.

YK86
07-29-2002, 11:38 PM
Forgot to add the pic.

bobafett
07-30-2002, 11:31 AM
thank you for your diagram! and jim thanks for the email!

i have both the front struts all assembled and ready to throw back onto the car. after doing this myself i am MUCH more confident!, hehe.... since i already tightened down that cetner bolt i should need to worry about the "without a spring compressor" strategy, i went and bought one yesterday afternoon. it was only $35, so i said what the hell....

anyway. the only thing i need to know now, is wether or not those struts are "adjusted" equally/properly....

also, what can i do to ensure proper alignment? and if nothing, how likely will the there be a problem, i guess i am asking if it is MANDATORY to get a 4 wheel alignment done after a project like this?

also, are there any trick/tips or things to watch out for when i attempt the rear set? i will be putting tokico's there!

Chrome_thangs
07-30-2002, 08:34 PM
I'm attempting to do this also and was in the dark on wether or not i would need a spring clamp. How difficult of a job is it to change them? (struts/springs) I've read the Haynes manual and i feel confident that i could do it my self. What kinda tools would i need from begining to end?
Any help you could lend me would be appreciated!:D

jigga225
07-30-2002, 08:52 PM
Check faq and how2.

You'll need WD-40, a spring compressor, air tools would help, 17mm socket&wrench, 14mm sockett and wrench, 12mm sockett and wrench.
The first time took me 2 days.
Second time took me 5 hours.
You can handle it

Chrome_thangs
08-01-2002, 12:01 PM
hey Jigga, Did u have any problems w/the removal ofyour balljoint from the upper arm?

bobafett
08-01-2002, 01:44 PM
well i am done with the front struts, and had no problems with the bolts, but i cant get the nut off of the strut rod on my rear strut. and i cant get the other bolt off to take the strut off the car! :( i thought i was gonna finish today too! :(

Chrome_thangs
08-01-2002, 08:29 PM
The bolt connecting my dampening fork to the lower arm is seized up. I got the nut off but the bolt won't budge. Any suggestions? I've used a whole can of PB Blaster and a hammer the damn thing won't budge. The Haynes said i need to do this for clearance when the strut comes out, is there a way to take out the struts without removing the bolt?

bobafett
08-01-2002, 09:27 PM
well i am assuming you have already tried this, but have you gotten someone to wiggle the strut around while you pound, so that maybe you get teh right angle? i had to do that to get my rear struts back on, and i WOULDNT have been able to do it myself!