PDA

View Full Version : prelude stereo question

meohmy01
11-20-2004, 03:28 PM
i recently picked up a 99 prelude, it has the stock head unit that sounds great for a stock setup. i don't really have the money to put a system in it right now but i'm curious if there is any way to hook up my 40gb mp3 player to it. thanks

my86dx4dr
11-20-2004, 03:31 PM
yes but it dosnt give the best quality...

Go to frys or any electrical type store and get a fm antanna intercepter thangy.

TheSummoner101
11-20-2004, 04:03 PM
wrong section 2 post in :P but its all gud....yea u can hook up just about anything in a car, just have to know how.

okay first off, like said, u can get a FM transmitter, but they work gay, quality is horrible.
the route i reccomend is if it has a cassette player, get a car kit, that baby will let u connect anything, and the quality aint too bad either.

currently, thats how i hook up my iPod in my honda, i have the stock deck, sony cassette adapter and waalah! i also used the car kit to hook up my laptop, works good for that too, the only problem is my laptop drains (internal computer) battery life like a mofo.....

if u dont like the cassette thing, u probably can take another approach.
1. get old headphones u dont want/need
2. cut off the speakrs and keep the cable with the little headphone plug
3. splice the antena wire, do not cut
4. connect the cut end of the headphone wire into antena wire

*NOTE: i never tried this, but it seems possible, i DON'T reccomend doing it, just throwing out ideas*

EDIT:
this is the FM Transmitter i have: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F013%5F000%5F000&product%5Fid=12%2D2053
this is what i reccomend:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F013%5F000%5F000&product%5Fid=12%2D1999

anyhow good luck

Moodybluesr
11-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Walmart sells FM modulators for about $20 or so in their electronics department.

BlueBead
11-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I'd go with the cassette adaptor; I used to use one with a stock cassette deck and it worked pretty good. It's a really easy way to prevent an exspensive aftermarket head unit from getting stolen; just don't have one.
It's the easiest setup too; you plug one end in you're mp3 unit headphone jack, and shove the other end in your cassete player, and viola- You have your tunes.
Once you do install a system I'd recommend getting an MP3 capable head unit; I've got one in my 3G and its insane how many tunes you can put on one cd. I converted 12 cd albums into mp3s and I still had a third of the MP3 cd left that I didn't use.
-MP3s are a wonderful thing....

meohmy01
11-22-2004, 01:27 PM
the 5th generation preludes come with cd player only, i think a tape deck was optional. i'm going to look into the fm thing but what about the way the cd changer was installed? how do they hook i-pods up into cars like i saw on rides or one of those shows.

stereo
11-24-2004, 10:21 AM
you can try http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxacurahon.html they carry adapters that will give a aux input thurough the cd changer port ,I would look behind the radio to make sure you have the 14-pin rectangular connector because if your car's poduction date is late 98 or early 99 you might have the 8-pin round cd port :pc:

i recently picked up a 99 prelude, it has the stock head unit that sounds great for a stock setup. i don't really have the money to put a system in it right now but i'm curious if there is any way to hook up my 40gb mp3 player to it. thanks

meohmy01
11-25-2004, 06:43 AM
my car was built in late 99. i'll have to check it out.

meohmy01
11-25-2004, 07:30 AM
my car was built in late 99. i'll have to check it out.