PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Squeaky belts.

pendejo
11-20-2004, 09:56 PM
First I've searched, and tried previous suggestions on this matter with no luck. My alternator belt is squeaking like a mutha, and it's annoying as hell. The belt is new, however I'm not 100% sure it is the correct belt because when I put it on, I pushed the alternator all the way forward towards the block and still had to kind of pry it on the pulley. Now, I adjusted the tension, and drove it about 2 hours, and the belt was loose again, so I adjusted it again as tight as I could get it. Now with it like this, the belt squeels non stop. There is alot of rubber "shavings" all over, so I thought the pulley's may not be aligned, but I do not see how that is possible. Tonight I loosened the belt a little, and it wouldn't charge the battery afterwards, so I have it as tight as possible again, but it's still squeeling. I've used some belt dressing but that only stops it for approximately 30 secs. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks for yor time.

buds302
11-20-2004, 10:07 PM
pour sprite on the belt while its runnin. whatch out you dont get sprayed. soda in the eye aint fun. check to see if the belt is rubbin the lower timing belt cover. also some times new belts arent made right and they have to wear down a little until they set in right. also the belt bein loose after you put it on. it cause the belt stretched when it heated up. thats normal. well it happens to me alot. i reccomend you go buy another belt just in case this one is deffective. dont use it unless the other belt breaks or something. once the belt is right and it aint goin no where then you can return the one you bought as a spare or keep it around as a spare

pendejo
11-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Would the tension being too tight cause it to squeak? I know it being too loose would cause squeaking, but I've never heard of it being to tight and squeaking? Also, what does Sprite do to the belt? I don't want to risk screwing up my Alt by doing that.

86LXItooFAST4me
11-21-2004, 05:26 AM
you do have the spacer/washer between the alt and alt bracket right? if not the alt is going to be off line. also if nothing seams to work you might wanna check your water pump.

ps- you want the belt to be really tight but not so much it will kill bearings.

Andrew
11-21-2004, 09:27 AM
I had the same problem awhile ago and discovered that it was the bearing in the alternator, changed the alternator, problem fixed.

pendejo
11-21-2004, 12:07 PM
It's a new Alternator and H20 Pump is new also. I never emoved a washer/spacer when I removed the old Alt. Is it on the upper or lower bracket?

86LXItooFAST4me
11-21-2004, 12:16 PM
Here go:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SE00_F03.gif

Check out #13

PS- i went threw 3 ALT and a water pump before i figured this out.

buds302
11-21-2004, 02:55 PM
sprite is really sticky when it dries. it might stop the slipping on the pulley. dontworry its not gonna make things worse if thats what your worried about. also check to see if your crank pulley is tight. my belts started to squeal and thenthe next thing you know the crank pulley flew off. i was like :wtf: i never touched it before. and i changed my alt belt in the parking lot of the auto pats store. it was squealing it ass off and this dude walked over with a bottle of sprite he was drinkin and poured it on the belt and it was like a miricale it just stopped squealin like that. so try it and see what happens

pendejo
11-22-2004, 07:49 PM
I'm still having problems. As I said before, I never had that spacer, but I pulled the belt off and there was alot of wear on the side of it(looked like an extremely worn radial tire), so I think that may be a problem. Also, the belt and pulley's were extremely sticky, so I don't see how it's slipping, especially with all the tension. Any other idea's, other than that spacer? And where can I get a part # for that? Local parts stores employ some really idiotic people that can't seem to get me the right parts, so if I know the part # and manufacturer, Maybe I'll get the right part! Oh yeah, when I was comparing the new and old belt, there were some numbers on it, but they didn't match. I think the old one said something like 395 and the new one said 390, is that the circumference in mm or something?

ehulst
11-23-2004, 08:37 AM
one of my belts is doing the same thing.....i start the car up and it screams at me.......i had to pull my ear away from inbetween the valve cover and air box cause it was so loud.....

pendejo
11-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Grrrr.... OK, I LOOSENED the belt, and it stopped squeaking, and stopped charging my Battery. If I TIGHTEN the belt, it still squeaks like a mofo. Any other idea's?

DeathRat
11-23-2004, 07:17 PM
I know the feeling...One of my belts squeaks on initial start up & acceleration, but only until the engine warms up & then it stops! LOL

86LXItooFAST4me
11-24-2004, 05:22 AM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

just get it from them man. unless you wanna use just regular washers. i should be getting mine in today or tomarow, ill give you a width on it when i get it.