PDA

View Full Version : Potential Carb Problem

RobbyKlotz
11-21-2004, 09:51 AM
3 weeks ago my car started dying after I would hit the gas. If I give it gas in the 1000 to 4000 RPM range. If I floor it, it will rev up slowly and begin doing fine at a higher RPM, but if I give it a little gas from the start, it starts to stumble and die. I replaced both fuel filters and blew backwards through the fuel line hoping it was a blockage. I have tried carb cleaner in the carb. I am at my witts end. Anyone offer any suggestions?

accordlxi2.0
11-21-2004, 10:14 AM
hmm, you check the choke?? sorta sounds like a choke problem.
then it also sound's like the variable venturi's could be bad.

first pump the gas ONCE. start it up ( or try to).
look at the choke flap, to see if it's closed all the way (when the engine is cold).
then press it to see if it moves smoothly at all.

if your able to get it up and running.
let it run for about 5 min's. to see if the choke moves.

then if it moves all the way.. look into the primary barrel.
look inside and see if the venturi is dripping fuel (while the engine is at idle)
then do the same for the second barrel.

then take your finger and move the primary and second barrel.
if it move's then they have to be tightened.
hopes this helps

RobbyKlotz
11-21-2004, 10:20 AM
when i did the vacumm line removal, i lost the ability of the choke. Starting is not the problem. But if i give it gas, it tries to die.

accordlxi2.0
11-21-2004, 11:29 AM
how long ago did you do the vacuum removal mod?

keruhas184
11-21-2004, 01:09 PM
But if i give it gas, it tries to die.

I have the same problem, only it goes away and comes back...

RobbyKlotz
11-21-2004, 04:43 PM
back around the spring time. Mine comes and goes also. I noticed, if i position the choke door to a certain spot and wedge it in place, i do not have the problem. i took the top hat of the carb off and cleaned everything i could.

A20A1
11-21-2004, 09:22 PM
you have the choke plate installed but no choke vacuum lines or linkages?

Have you ever tried hooking back up the vacuum lines? The how-to has a new vacuum diagram. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11067

RobbyKlotz
11-22-2004, 05:03 AM
you have the choke plate installed but no choke vacuum lines or linkages?

Have you ever tried hooking back up the vacuum lines? The how-to has a new vacuum diagram. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11067

I dont have the linkages for the choke anymore. I know if I leave the choke plate in that one certain spot, the car has no problems. But I dont understand because it has ran fine all year like that. I think I am going to wedge that plate to that one certain spot for now. I would like to find another carb to throw on so i can have use of the choke again.

SteveDX89
11-22-2004, 06:30 AM
I dont have the linkages for the choke anymore. I know if I leave the choke plate in that one certain spot, the car has no problems. But I dont understand because it has ran fine all year like that. I think I am going to wedge that plate to that one certain spot for now. I would like to find another carb to throw on so i can have use of the choke again.

<---- Has carb available for sale :wave:

88Accord-DX
11-23-2004, 12:59 AM
I won't be able to get my re-buildable carburetor untill after Thanksgiving, weekend after that.( Going out of town for the holidays.) The re-build kit cost me $42 something, not including what I paid for the carb.
So if you still interested in it, it will be around $80-$90, shipped USPS. Here is a pic of what I'm re-building.

http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/d0/a3/d6_1.JPG

Here is one I sold on ebay. No complaints

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/re-builtcarb.jpg

No pressure, just letting you know I've sold a few of these re-built carbs.

RobbyKlotz
11-23-2004, 06:31 AM
I am going to dismantle the carb this weekend and give it a super good cleaning. Shepard seems to think its still dirty.

A20A1
11-23-2004, 04:28 PM
do you have gaskets to replace the old ones? no sesne in dismanteling the carb and not do a rebuild while it's off the manifold.

RobbyKlotz
11-23-2004, 08:42 PM
I have never rebuilt a carb before.. I have looked at the how-to on here, is there instructions that come with the kit as wel?

A20A1
11-24-2004, 01:38 PM
water in the gas tank?

POS carb
11-26-2004, 07:14 AM
dood run some checks

#1 look down barrel #1 and check for a stream of gas when u push the pedal (or rotate the throttle if u have no assistant)
#2 make sure the venturi booster (the metal piece in the middle of the bore) is firmly in place, it should not move at all, if it does the screw that holds it fell off aand I think you have to take the whoel choke assembly off for that barrel (I don't remember which barrel u had to do that for)
#3 make sure that there is vacuum present at the top right port (driver's side) of the carb at idle and none at WOT (u know where the fuel plugs into the carb how there are 3 vacuum tubes at the top, middle one bends left? I'm talking about the one all the way to the right if you are standing in front of the car)