PDA

View Full Version : Running Rich

barber107
11-22-2004, 07:52 PM
My 87 LX-i is running pretty rich and I wonder where I should look first. It seems to be running fine, but when I shut it off and get out of the car, I can smell gas which is why I think it is running rich. Along with that, I am getting shitty mpg...

If this was your car, what would you look at first to get it fixed? Any suggestions would be groovy!

Thanks,

Barber

Strugglebucket
11-22-2004, 08:45 PM
if it was running really rich you would see black smoke coming out of your exhaust. i think you may be leaking gasoline somewhere if you're smelling it outside the car. check and see if it's obviously leaking somewhere. look at the fittings on the fuel filter and the fuel rail, , and check the the fuel injectors and pressure regulator along with the return hose.
as for the mileage when was the last time you did a tune-up? how old is your o2 sensor?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
11-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Look for wet spots around the injectors. The seals on the injectors are a common problem. Once they start leaking, they'll cause the gasoline smell and bad gas mileage. Another area of interest would be the O2 sensor. If those are fine, look around your charcoal canister since it may be leaking. Then check the lines as Strugglebucket mentioned.

smufguy
11-22-2004, 09:23 PM
My 87 LX-i is running pretty rich and I wonder where I should look first. It seems to be running fine, but when I shut it off and get out of the car, I can smell gas which is why I think it is running rich. Along with that, I am getting shitty mpg...

If this was your car, what would you look at first to get it fixed? Any suggestions would be groovy!

Thanks,

Barber

Check and see if your injectors are leaking.

barber107
11-23-2004, 06:14 AM
More info:

I would say that the smell of gas fumes seems to be coming from the exhaust, because I only notice it after I walk behing the car. If the car is running you can smell it faintly (it isn't horribly potent, but it is there) and you can notice it for a few seconds after the car is turned off, but not long after it goes away.

I have never noticed any fuel on the ground under the car, and I check nearly everyday looking to see if the car leaked any oil, but it could be that the fuel evaporates or there isn't enough to leave a wet spot.

Over the long weekend (BTW, Happy Early TurkeyDay) I will check all the fuel fittings throughout the fuel system. I will also check the injectors and the fuel rail to see if there are any problems there. I will let you folks know what I find.

I am also going to do a complete tune-up while I have time and access to my parents garage :) Is it worth it to buy an oxygen sensor if you aren't sure how old the one in the car is? This car is new to me so I don't know if the 02 sensor is ancient or has been replaced recently. I would tend to think it is pretty old, but I don't know if there is a way to tell other than looking and making a guess.

Mac
11-23-2004, 07:43 AM
I don't know if the 02 sensor is ancient or has been replaced recently. I would tend to think it is pretty old, but I don't know if there is a way to tell other than looking and making a guess.

If you have a volt meter you can check the O2 sensor. After the engine is warmed up, disconnect the sensor. Connect meter to ground and the O2 sensor plug ( on the sensor side). At 5000 rpm you should have more than 0.6 volts. When the throttle is quickly released it should drop to below 0.4 volts if the sensor is good.

acranox
11-24-2004, 06:16 AM
Another common problem is the gas tank filler tube rotting. This happened to the previous owner of my car, there was even a recall about it. But the pipe from the cas cap to the tank rotted and got a hole in it, so you could smell gas. in his case it also allowed water to get into the tank and cause the engine to run poorly.
So if you are smelling gas from the back of the car, i'd first look into a leaking tank or fuel lines or the fuel filter.

smufguy
11-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Whats your MPG dude?

Another common problem is the gas tank filler tube rotting. This happened to the previous owner of my car, there was even a recall about it.

the Recall was for only 86 and 87 cars

mag_pbg
11-24-2004, 09:37 PM
If you are going to start pulling gas lines, make sure you have new o-rings, i pulled my lines off and didn't put new o-rings on and it leaked pretty bad, expesually from the fuel regulator. As for the seals around the injectors I got new ones from Majestic Honda for like $5 a peice.

smufguy
11-24-2004, 11:21 PM
NAPA sells a seal kit for the injectors for about $8 (services each injector) you can also get the O-rings seperate from any autostore and the only thing that u need to worry about is the Top O ring.

acranox
11-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Whats your MPG dude?

the Recall was for only 86 and 87 cars

He said he had an 87.

smufguy
11-25-2004, 12:19 PM
He said he had an 87.

i know i was just saying it for people who read this thread, not just for him. :thumbup: