PDA

View Full Version : Pulled old head

mag_pbg
11-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Today I pulled my old head off, and was wondering if some of these things are normal to see. The exhuast valves where all yellow, kinda rusty looking, and the intake valves and valve stems were covered in deposits that looked like ash, is that a sign of running rich¿ Other than that it looked good, the pistons and cylinder walls looked good. One more questions, is it possible to put the dizzy in 180 degrees¿ Thanx alot, pics will be coming soon as I can get them copied.

HondaBoy
11-22-2004, 08:31 PM
i'd say that's fairly average for an older engine. that build up on the valves are carbon deposits. it was like that on my friend's engine when the head was off. but it was really bad. what was done to get it all off was to give it an "acid bath", just basicly dipped the head into a tub of acid, dont remember what kind. i think i have pix of that too if i can find em. he shows before and after pix of the valves. dont konw about the distributor though, i havent gotten much into that. your trying to advance it though right? to a 180 degree point? i'm sure someone like A20A1 should know that if he didnt already see this.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
11-22-2004, 08:53 PM
It has been proven that even though the distributor shaft has an off-set groove to prevent incorrect installation, the distributor CAN be installed 180 degrees out of phase. This requires some ingenuity, but appears to be a common mistake. Hope this helps.

Strugglebucket
11-22-2004, 09:02 PM
if you're worried, just look at the camshaft and the distributor when you go to put it on. if you look closely, you can easily see which way it's meant to go.
or, get everything TDC'd, put the rotor on the dizzy, and turn it so it's pointing at where the terminal on the cap for the #1 plug is.

A20A1
11-22-2004, 10:06 PM
EGR valve is usually the culprit for some carbon deposits on the intake valve stems...

The crusty yellow exhaust valves could be a sign it was burnt... but I dunno. I've only seen it on my old head, but not on other heads I've pulled.

smufguy
11-22-2004, 10:20 PM
EGR valve is usually the culprit for some carbon deposits on the intake valve stems...

The crusty yellow exhaust valves could be a sign it was burnt... but I dunno. I've only seen it on my old head, but not on other heads I've pulled.

i think thats how our exhaust valves look, cause the head i have has the ex valves look like that too.

BlueBead
11-23-2004, 12:39 AM
I had those same yellow deposits on my hatch's head when I did the Head gasket
I scraped them off and put it all back together. Since the head was within specs I didn't get it milled. It worked great. I think the yellow crap is sulphur, you know, the kind that they say is in gas and really bad for the environment. It makes sense to me, since I bought cheap for that car all of the time because it ran so well on it. I'd say it's not a big deal, but get it off before you put the head back on

smufguy
11-23-2004, 05:48 AM
blue Bead, it cant be sulphur. If its sulphur, it should be on the intake valves too. The white shit is some kinda heat coating.

mag_pbg
11-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanx for the info, I have anew head to put on, I was just wanting to know if the signs on the head where going to be a prob. later on down the road.

mag_pbg
11-24-2004, 06:23 AM
Just got the new head on, and what a b**** it was. I wish I would have had a cherry picker then I could have just lowered the head into place, but instead we had to hold it above the block and slowly lower it till all the holes lined up. And then the stupid PCV vale wouldn't go through the hole that it is supposed to. But we finally got it done, I still have some fine tuning to do with the throttle cable and kick down cable, the transmission doesn't want to kick down a gear when you hit the gas, so it bogs down real bad, but other than that no leaks of any kind and it sounds pretty bad ass with the new cam in it.

superdesi
11-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Does anyone know what material is the cylinder head on the 1986 is made out of?

'A20A3'
11-26-2004, 01:45 PM
The cylinder heads on ALL 3G's are made of aluminum.

superdesi
11-26-2004, 02:04 PM
The cylinder heads on ALL 3G's are made of aluminum.

Thanks for replying so quick. The reason for asking is because I stripped spark plug #1 on my 1986 Lxi. The spark plug repair kit that I purchased (made by Powerbuilt Tools) http://www.powerbuilttools.co.nz/powerbuiltfuelandignition.htm says that it is only to be used in aluminum cylinder heads. However, today when I went to use it, the tap provided in the kit was not cutting the threads at all and was useless. I tried using considerable pressure using a socket and still had no results.

'A20A3'
11-26-2004, 02:15 PM
No problem man. Glad I could help. I've never been in your situation before, so I don't know what to say to help, except for I would take that kit back and demand my money back if it didn't work.