PDA

View Full Version : removing tranny

1987HondaAccord
11-23-2004, 08:10 PM
ok, here's the n00b question that comes from not enough searching and diving into something without enough experience.

how do you remove an automatic transmission?

i have it completely unbolted (i think). i've wiggled it about half an inch away from the block, but i can't drop it down yet. :mad: which part is the torque converter? i read that i need to unbolt that. :sad2:

thanks in advance!

maka_RTH
11-23-2004, 08:39 PM
the torque converter is bolted to the flywheel. to unbolt that, you need to undo 6-8? bolts. you get to them from the bottom, from the engine side. if you have it all unbolted, then you should be able to see them. you will need to turn the crank to get all of them off, cuz you can only see 3 or 4 at a time. i'd take a pic of where you'd see them at.., but it's dark here.

Strugglebucket
11-23-2004, 09:01 PM
don't let it fall on you. it hurts when automatic transmissions fall on you.

maka_RTH
11-23-2004, 09:15 PM
yes, the AT's are quite a bit more heavy than the MT's. lol, when i swapped to 5-spd, i dragged that bitch out from under my car with the shifter cable, lol.

AccordEpicenter
11-23-2004, 10:05 PM
yes, the AT's are quite a bit more heavy than the MT's. lol, when i swapped to 5-spd, i dragged that bitch out from under my car with the shifter cable, lol.
yea i dropped my 5 speed on my chest last time, that shit hurt. For an automatic you need to take off the 8 bolts between the flexplate and the torque convertor (aka, do the 8 count). You might also have to take off the radius rod on the passenger side to get the clearence you need to drop the tranny.

1987HondaAccord
11-23-2004, 10:22 PM
ok, got it out. any ideas about how to get the bolts out of the flywheel? the only 12 point 17 mm tool i have is a flat wrench, and i think i need a little more power than i can get with that.

Strugglebucket
11-24-2004, 12:06 AM
just put a breaker bar on your 17mm wrench -that should give you enough leverage. you're going to need a torque wrench when you bolt the flywheel back up, though.

btw, you do know that the auto tranny flywheel bolts are a different length than the manual's bolts?

1987HondaAccord
11-24-2004, 12:32 AM
just put a breaker bar on your 17mm wrench -that should give you enough leverage. you're going to need a torque wrench when you bolt the flywheel back up, though.

btw, you do know that the auto tranny flywheel bolts are a different length than the manual's bolts?

yeah, the auto flywheel bolts are marked "AT" on their head, and the manual bolts have no markings. and i can't get the breaker bar on the wrench cuz its one of those open ended things. like it has the 12 point on one end, and the C shaped thing on the other end (same size). i'll go get the torque wrench and 12 point 17mm socket tomorrow morning when the kragen opens.

maka_RTH
11-24-2004, 02:08 AM
yah, i'd say that'd be the best route to go. just grab yourself the socket, and the torque wrench is a must have anyways for many projects on the car. i don't know if you have something to keep the crank from turning.., but i used a breaker bar(or ratchet) on the crank pulley nut and had it wedged against the car so that the crank wouldn't turn any more.

NashvilleLX-i
12-08-2004, 04:35 PM
anyone have a pic or an idea of the best way to lock the flywheel for un bolting? i want to take that off and get it resurfaced

maka_RTH
12-08-2004, 04:48 PM
i just threw a ratchet on the pulley side and that held it in place(with the ratchet against the frame).

1987HondaAccord
12-08-2004, 07:05 PM
you could try putting a big screw driver thought the little hole where you check the timing, and wedge it in the teeth of the flywheel.

Neuspeed87lx
12-08-2004, 07:09 PM
use a 6 point socket !

NashvilleLX-i
12-08-2004, 11:04 PM
yeah i talked to my girlfriends dad and he said the thing about the pulley and i havent tried but would it loosen the pully bold or is it much higher torque? thanks guys
:bowrofl:

MarioBurke
12-08-2004, 11:06 PM
ive taken apart atleast 20 or more trannys. the easier way for myself is too take a part of the upper motor mount. the one that goes to the firewall. and take two of the 10mm bolts for the pressure plate and disc and put one bolt in the motor mount and attach it to the flywheel. and then put the other bolt next to it, to act as a stop gaurd. look at the picture to see what I am talking about!.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid149/p605dcaa70086893fd0391069c9c84498/f5f89c5f.jpg

then wedge the motor mount up against something like the cross member or something that isnt going to move. it makes it so much easier if you have to do the whole thing buy yourself.

NashvilleLX-i
12-09-2004, 06:55 PM
i just put a ratchet in the pully bolt it held it tight and if it were to fall which it didnt it wouldnt have hit me in the face like the crowbar idea. but when loosening the flywheel bolts use a ratchet and a pipe and stick it on the ratchet pull hard and it worked fine thanks all you and the pully bold didnt come loose just beause it wasnt being torqued as much as the flywheel bolts were. :rockon: