PDA

View Full Version : f22 in a 3g? jus wondered.

pisnapalm
11-23-2004, 09:11 PM
i just got a 4g 90 accord lx in this morning. it's a shitbox. besides the torn/stained inside and rusty dinged outside and every missing bolt/lug/piece of trim....i only wish i had pictures....this car is fine (this leaves whatever's under the hood). ok, most of the hoses are there, airbox/intake is dismantled, fan dismantled, fluids old or drained, batt drained, terminals have corrosive mountains built up, found (1) ground but it needs to be cleaned and reconnected...just a lot of small fixes like this that makes one scowl. but the engine seems fine (haven't started it up myself so that's a tossup), it definitely seems like an electrical issue (the engine won't start but the brake lights don't come on either...nothing works). anyway i'm gonna do as many of the little things i can, changing fluids, replacing whatever i gotta (i dunno when it's last tuneup was and i know little about the absolute condition of the engine past what my friend said before he drove to the airport, "...oh she's fine she just needs to get rid of the frits in her wires." :rocket: but from there i'll start w/ ground, terminals, batt, and i hope i will have found it by then but if not i guess i'll be checking wires for shorts. conclusively, i believe this engine is in good shape (better shape than my a20) so i was wondering if a swap was in order.
ok, as far as i can tell, it's not extremely difficult to drop an f22a1 into a 3g (stop me if i'm wrong). it's a bigger engine i know, but i think the mounts are the same or close enough. my question was if there were members who had dropped an f22 that would advise me either way...? i wasn't under the impression that the f22 was a very powerful engine (although 16 valve and and 2.2L) but i totally don't mind sacrificing the 4g to lengthen the life of the 88. please advise me.
the newb,
ty

night
11-23-2004, 09:16 PM
search for talk of the H22.

exactly the same swap wise

maka_RTH
11-23-2004, 09:19 PM
as far as i've heard, it's not possible, as far as drop in. if you want to go get custom mounts made, you could do that. but if i'm right, the f22 has the same mounts as the h22? which is basically expensive just to get it in the 3g, much less the cost of the engine(although in your case you already have it). anyways, yah, it's possible with money, but definitely not drop in

pisnapalm
11-23-2004, 09:38 PM
i'd love to have an h22 in there...that would just be heaven :alc: but yeah, i can't afford that. if the f22 is the same engine mounts as h22 then it might not be worth it. i was just thinking that this might be my 88's lucky doner. if not i'll just fix it up as best i can and sell it (driveway's getting crowded).
if there's someone with an f22 in their 3g i'd like to get into contact w/(although if it's that difficult there might not be).
ty

AccordEpicenter
11-23-2004, 09:58 PM
most f22s are 125hp... 88-89 lxi is 120...

this swap=no point

pisnapalm
11-23-2004, 10:14 PM
your point is well made, and i understand what you're saying...but i haven't explained well:
fact 1> i'm trying to keep the old (360,000mile) 3g alive.
fact 2> as a 17 year old redneck senior i have a limited budget.
fact 3> if it is possible to swap this engine w/ the engine in my friends car (that i got for nothing) i'd like to look into it.
fact 4> it's not for performance increase (it would only be a 10-15 hp difference, not to mention the stock a20 is higher compression)
fact 5> MY stock a20 is definitely NOT higher compression
fact 6> i need to put the shitbox 4g to good use and this seems as good a cause as any.
final conclusive query> if the consensus is that dropping an f22 is so difficult i'd be better off scrapping my (precious) 88, than i will find other uses for the 4g accord.
i apologize for being unclear
ty

A20A1
11-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Interesting... it would giv you a head start if you decide to do the h22 in the future... also there are more aftermarket for the 4g

pisnapalm
11-24-2004, 08:30 AM
hmmmm...you have no idea how badly i'd like to have an h22 to put in there. if the mounts are the same it might be cool to hook up w/ afew 3g members that have done the conversion and see how difficult it is. A20 is right, if the mounts are same, then it might be an investment. i don't have an engine pull but i've got friends who do. also i have never personally swapped an engine, i've been around for afew, but my dad (and his dad and his uncle and my uncles and pretty much everyone on my dad's side) used to be involved in kart, stock, and boat racing. i think he'll help me. if yall know of afew guys w/ the h22 conv...?
yall rock
ty

buds302
11-24-2004, 12:36 PM
alright first things first. welcome to 3geez. now as for the f22. it is considerably heavier than the a20. something like 150-200 pounds. next it involves custom mounts.(not an easy task). then the f22 leans back in the engine bay. like way back. if you can get the engine in the car then great but after that you have to upgrade the front suspension if you dont want to bottom out the car after every speedbumb. sorry to ruin your plans dude but i dont think its been done with a limited budget or limited experience. but i guess anything is possible if you try. ill help you if i can but i dont know if it is possible.
now a jdm b20 would be more practicle

Immeraufdemhund
11-24-2004, 04:57 PM
i'm currently working on putting a 4g subframe on to a 3g. So far...it's not preaty. If i could get a way to get the 4g rear subframe in i'd be in luck city because then i wouldn't have to fool with any of the control arm stuff. I think putting the engine and tranny in will be fairly easy. It's the axels i'm concerned about. I think (though i'm not sure) the wheel base is the same.....(this could get long, but I dont have the patience to get into it, read my post about subframe)

88accordhb
11-24-2004, 08:58 PM
hahahhaah youre a redneck?

ehem sorry, anyways, the swap might run you more money than just gettin another a20a3 in there even tho you already have the motor, plus if you wanna keep the thing alive with the f22, you might run into trouble and complications along the way. but if that's wat you decide to do, i'll give you props. sometimes it's not wat you gain out of something, it's wat you accomplished.

Justin86
11-24-2004, 10:04 PM
f22 in a 3g? jus wondered.
Well if it is possible for a chic to get bigger boobs, then that swap can be done. Might not be easy or cheap, but sure as hell It can be done, just won't feel like the real thing...........

pisnapalm
11-25-2004, 11:37 AM
lol i understand. i wouldn't wanna ruin that natural feel, no sir; lord knows it would spoil the ride. i also see what 88accordhb meant about it being the completion of the project that would be the reward (btw, i'd bet money YOU'RE a redneck haha! [fact there's proly more n afew on here], at least i told it like it was, right?) :bandit:
i can see what buds was saying, it WOULD lean back in the engine bay. with the suspension issues and just the difficulty of the job itself...i dunno, this doesn't seem like a good idea from what yall are saying. i'll find another way.
anyways the 4g is coming along (i've definitely narrowed it down to electrical).
thanks for the help yall
ty
you know there's something wrong with you when everyone else is inside drinking and baking turkeys and you're the only one for miles standing in the cold, covered in various engine fluids, trying to fix a car thats almost as old as you are...there's gotta be medication for this :sad2: a happy thanksgiving to all.

Immeraufdemhund
11-25-2004, 03:43 PM
i know how you feel bud. hey your only a hop skip and jump from ktown, i used to live there... I'd look into fixing up a a20a3 before putting in a f22. I'm trying to make it easy as possible and write down what i do, but so far...it's just hard. but i'll get back with ya's about how it goes.

(i'm a redneck too!)

drdave12
06-14-2005, 12:31 PM
im also interested in putting the f22 into the 3g. seems like a handful of people are interested in doin it, and a lot of people are against it. i have the motor already, and i have an 87 dx that is going to be the recipient of this beast. i know that this is going to be a huge project and lots of money and time, but sometimes you just want something that no one else has, or something that no one else thought was possible... u know???

:uh: :uh:

NeoCloud
06-15-2005, 04:30 AM
Heh,read this post and crapped my pants because noones ever really thought an h22 would fit in a 3rd or 4th gen.I have no idea about the f22,but I have seen it done with a h22 at the local drag track in my city.
I have a friend that wrecked his newer(forgot what year)accord that he had an h22 in with alot of mods,and he said he didnt want to get rid of the whole car cause he paid alot for engine balancing,computer,port and polish,etc... alot of crap and the suspension.So he bought another new accord and threw the suspension on it.After a while of looking at the motor on a cherry picker,he decided to get crazy with his money,and instead of throwing the motor in his new accord,he did exactly what all of you guys said,made new motor mounts,switched the computer,attatched the tranny some-how(I have no idea how)drop spindle rebound front suspension,custom springs and shocks in back,putt all the weight of the battery and other micellaneuos things in the trunk to balance the motor,and many more things that I could only dream of,in his 88 accord lx.I looked over that car for about 4 hrs trying to figure out how he matched up the tranny in the frame,and where the motor mounts were.I can't even try to begin to explain it,and the car ran a 13.1 at the track the last time I seen it.The car was a little high off the ground due to the beefier suspension,but it also looked like the body sat above the frame more than normal.When he took off,the back end doesnt start squatting while dumping the clutch,probably cause the front is so heavy.I have no idea how he patched everything together in the car,and right now it just sits in his garage,because he said he wanted to put a big ass turbo on it to replace the one hes got.

thegreatdane
06-15-2005, 06:42 AM
most f22s are 125hp... 88-89 lxi is 120...

this swap=no point

125hp?? Is that on the crank? Where I'm from the F22's have 150hp on the crank...

SteveDX89
06-15-2005, 08:34 AM
125hp?? Is that on the crank? Where I'm from the F22's have 150hp on the crank...

Some of the F22's in the 4th gen are 125-130 crank hp.

2drSE-i
06-15-2005, 08:55 AM
this is an OLD thread.....anyway

h22 will go right into a 4g...... www.accordracing.com
they have aftermarket parts (A LOT) for everything 90 and up....i was dissapointed when i found that site....i almost gave up

3geez.com was the next result on google......this site is awesome :)

POS carb
06-17-2005, 05:51 PM
if you look at the 4gee the layout is very similar but the suspension is a hack job design, it looks like they just took 3 gee parts and hammered them to clear the tranny.
If you have the motor for free I'd say give it a shot, ghetto weld the mounts to the car. I it breaks you'll still have your stock motor around.
If you had to pay for the motor and trans I'd say don't even bother, too much expense for minimal gains.

I'm not very up-to-date with the efi scene but maybe you can use the 4gee ECU and hook it up to the 3gee motor
try to use 3gee EFI intake manifold and fuel rail w/ 4g throttle body and MAP sensor. If it uses a crank or cam sensor i'm sure the 3gee one would work the same, it's just a reference signal. O2 sensors are pretty generic, it should work fine with the 3gee sensor. The 4 gee injectors may also flow more since the displacement of the motor is higher.
The EFI gurus would be better help on this one but the gain from switching from Keihin carb to EFI would be in the range of 15 -20 HP

AccordEpicenter
06-17-2005, 08:10 PM
4g injectors are the same as 3g injectors, and interchangeable at that. Both f22 and a20 are close in weight and power, at least the ones in the states are (dunno about you EDM guys, do you have the dohc f22?)

drdave12
06-19-2005, 01:38 PM
if you look at the 4gee the layout is very similar but the suspension is a hack job design, it looks like they just took 3 gee parts and hammered them to clear the tranny.
If you have the motor for free I'd say give it a shot, ghetto weld the mounts to the car. I it breaks you'll still have your stock motor around.
If you had to pay for the motor and trans I'd say don't even bother, too much expense for minimal gains.

I'm not very up-to-date with the efi scene but maybe you can use the 4gee ECU and hook it up to the 3gee motor
try to use 3gee EFI intake manifold and fuel rail w/ 4g throttle body and MAP sensor. If it uses a crank or cam sensor i'm sure the 3gee one would work the same, it's just a reference signal. O2 sensors are pretty generic, it should work fine with the 3gee sensor. The 4 gee injectors may also flow more since the displacement of the motor is higher.
The EFI gurus would be better help on this one but the gain from switching from Keihin carb to EFI would be in the range of 15 -20 HP

Well... I got pretty lucky with this car and motor...

I bought the car from a buddy who had this thing sitting in his back yard.
His dad made him sell it... so for $50 and a couple quarts of oil... I had what would become my project car. A really beat up and almost totalled 1987 Honda Accord DX. a20a1 carbed...

About two weeks go by and another buddy calls me up and says to come get this other Accord... I go pick it up, and this one had been totalled.. rollover and a fire... Interior destroyed, but motor was still good... Pulled it out and ended up parting out the rest of the car. I gave the kid $50...
f22

So for $100, I now have the car.. and the motor that I would like to put into it.

:) :cool:

Oldblueaccord
06-20-2005, 04:47 AM
Well as far as the F22 Sport compact car July 05 p.154 guys builds them pretty stout. Pretty good acrticle overall. Dunno it be worth it for just swaping stock vs stock but if you were gonna build one sounds like it be a champ.

wp

Strugglebucket
06-20-2005, 05:22 AM
i just did a clutch job for a friend with a 4g and the manual tranny is heavy as f@ck compared to the 3g. i let it drop on my face and it hurt. i guess the block is lighter, though.

i'm not sure what this thread is really about anymore, but i thought i'd throw that in anyway.