PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Removal - Choke Flap?

11-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Ok, so far I have plugged up the carb and will hook it back up soon. I still need to plug the intake and remove the Air Jet controller, black box, evap canister, etc. My concern is this; I configured the carb for a manual secondary, but I'm not sure how the top choke flap is suppose to be used, or if at all. Currently, with the choke diaphram removed, there is no way to control the top choke flap, so it just flops back and forth, usually hanging down. Is this normal or did I miss some of the details. I used the instructions to remove all hoses but #14 from the manifold, fuel (obviously), and one other port just above where the A/C idle used to be. Hope I labeled it, lol. I'm amazed at the expertise some of you guys have. I did this mod b/c I wanted to eliminate some the vacuum problems I had (that I knew of) and to get a little more pep out of it. I greatly appreciate the help.

A20A1
11-24-2004, 01:37 PM
why are you removing the air jet controller? Did you read the how-to... the entire how-to? Don't go to the Shepherds link, not that you can't use that but it doesn't have it listed in stages... if you go to the later stages like 3 and 4 you just remove the choke flap. Shepherds how-to removes a few things that you might want or NEED to keep.

also be careful in winter... if you leave the evaporation line open to the tank moisture will get into the fuel system and mess things up.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11067

go to the link and make sure you scroll down... to see my post... do stage 3 since it looks like that is what you are doing. It says to remove the choke plate (Flap)

A20A1
11-24-2004, 11:53 PM
I updated the how to to include a more detailed view of the choke and how - to remove it.

11-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Much appreciated (...for the updated "how to"). Sorry for the late response, holiday stuff obviously. <br>
I got the car back together and it runs excellent, at least when warm. The power gain is definitely noticeable and it addressed my initial reason for doing the mod, though it didn't solve my problem. I didn't expect it to, but what the heck. Vacuum leakage was described in the Haynes manual as one of the resolutions. Anyway, I removed the choke flap and basically everything else connected to the carb. So, now I only have to deal with cold starts, but I can live with that. I thought of installing a manual choke in the cabin if I sell it eventually or if I get tired of the 2 minute warm up. I drive a 98 maxima as a secondary car, trying to keep the miles low and enjoy the inherent handling response of a honda, even though this one is nearly 20 years old. I love how they drive/handle. My ex-gf's car was an '03 accord coupe, only 4cyl, but WOW, how that car handles. I LOVEd it!! Too bad she was psychotic, lol. I guess I won't continue to babble... <br>
2 questions: Tell me if this otta be another post. First deals with this mod. You said not to leave the evap line open in the winter. Is this the metal one hanging out of the firewall, where the evap canister(?) used to be? I think I capped everything before I even started it, so it should be closed. <br>
Second, my initial problem was a lope and misses at idle and throughout the driving range. It is most noticeable when the car isn't under load in any gear, but continuing at the same throttle, it begins to sputter(?). It seems to go away if you push gas to WOT or lift off the pedal. I had the head worked on several years ago when this began. The timing belt was replaced, and I'm not sure if the head was removed. I have not done a cylinder compression test, but I have tried diff timing settings. Here is what I have done/replaced. Fuel filter, pcv valve, air filter(rear), (changed A/F ratio w/ this mod), spark plugs (tried .39,.44 gaps), dist cap/rotor. I've also set the valve clearances and set to .7" and .11" and tried diff grade fuel. Used to ping slightly when the timing was slightly forward but that went away after I moved it back and has not returned. Also, there is a slight delay after you press the gas, like a stall. <br>
Thanks so much. This website kick's major a$$. : ) Wish my maxima forum wasn't so lame. : (