PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start, turns over, no firing at all.

brian4g63
11-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Driving home from work today, Coasting upto stop light, Car dies. Turn key.. rererererere... nothing. Keep doing it. Nothing. I got spark, and replaced everything coil, wires, discap, rotor, plugs, and new airfilter. Cam turns so tbelt it fine. Dad sprayed carb cleaner in the carb while I turned it over and nothing. It has been stumbling when I just touch the gas a little bit. But tonight it died, had to tow it home.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fuel pump? Where is it? what do you suggest?
Fuel filters? Where?
Vac lines? Which?
Flooded? How?

I dunno.
Thanks, Brian.

Mac
11-24-2004, 06:01 PM
The fuel pump is in the fuel tank. If you look in the trunk, lift the carpet you will see 2 round panels right behind the the back seat. I believe the pump is under the left one.

brian4g63
11-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Thx for the fast and helpful reply, anything else helps. Just took off fuel line off carb where the filter comes in ( the orange/red line ) and no fuel there.. bone dry... gonna keep going down the line..

accordlxi2.0
11-24-2004, 06:08 PM
well lets shorten this down a bit : what do you own.

1986-1989 dx/lx

1986-1987 lx-i

1988-1989 lxi

1989 se-i

Mac
11-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Check for voltage and ground at pump. If it's not there, check fuse #1 in the dash fuse panel. There is also a fuel cut off relay in the same panel.

brian4g63
11-24-2004, 06:11 PM
As sig says, 88 LX.

accordlxi2.0
11-24-2004, 06:21 PM
opps sorry...
did you have the pedal at WOT, and try to start it.

if you push the gas and it stumbles, it sounds like a choke problem, or a venturi, or float problem.

is there gas in the float bowl??
if there is then the fuel pump is'nt the problem.

because when the pumps go out on the carb models...
once you hit 40 mph the car slow down, and you can't go any faster (just the same as if you have bad fuel filter too.)

BlueBead
11-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Fuel filters are behind right rear wheel and in engine compartment about 6 inches from both of your VIN numbers. Its about 2inches long and made of metal. If you don't have one yet download pauls pdf manual; it'll walk you thru it.

click on this link: http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=25137

I'd do the fuel filters even if its the fuel pump. When I did mine the rear filter was brown inside. Replacing them had a huge positive effect that was unfortuneately negated by the car being totalled. Good luck to you!

maka_RTH
11-24-2004, 06:52 PM
yah, replace your fuel filters, and check your fuel pump to make sure it works(including fuses for it). the fuel pump is the under the lil circle deal under the carpet on the drivers side. it's not too bad to replace, your car will just smell like gas for a while, as well as you.

brian4g63
11-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Got car started. Held choke open...

Whats your conclusion? Think the choke somehow stuck open and went full rich? The spark plugs were flooded.

I drove it around the block with the aircleaner off and all vac's plugged. It clear'd up the rpm drop when brakeing. The chugging/hesitation.

I pulled the rubber out of the airbox base for the carb and put it ontop of the carb and put the brass screen on it. Gonna put some sort of filtration fabric inbetween it.

maka_RTH
11-24-2004, 08:41 PM
you could still replace your fuel filters. i once had a problem where after driving for a bit the car would die, and you'd have to wait about 15 minutes before it started again, and it was the fuel filter. basically, crap was getting through, and it'd clog the line at lower rpms, and you'd have to let the crap settle and unclog the lines before you could start it. new filter fixed that prob.