PDA

View Full Version : Does the 2nd gen Accord have the same engine mount setup as the 3G?

deevergote
11-24-2004, 06:12 PM
I was thinking... an LS/VTEC swap into a 2G with mounts made for a 3G would be awesome.

I've been pretty frustrated with the 3G lately (no time or money to do what is needed). I came close to selling it and going DSM, but I think I might tough it out and see what I can do. My Accord loyalty is strong!

Having a 2G with a wicked swap would be pretty fun as well. I figure (since there are no 2G boards that I know of) someone here might know.

maka_RTH
11-24-2004, 06:53 PM
i'm pretty sure the mounts are the same, someone verify?

HostileJava
11-24-2004, 07:44 PM
I can't verify it cause I'm not sure, but I'd have to say yes and that this really belongs in general or technical.

deevergote
11-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure, since it's not REALLY a 3geez question. I'm a mod on CB7tuner, and I always prefer to see non-CB7 questions in OT (or the "ther automotive" section)

blazin3gen
11-24-2004, 08:46 PM
i think they are the same i remember someone swaped a a20 into a 2nd gen

and yea a 2g sleeper is sexay

88accordhb
11-24-2004, 08:49 PM
i believe the bt motor is a version of the first a20a3, (86-87 lxi's/sei's). sooo i'm not sure bout mounts, but a lsvtec 2g would me amazing.

and omg who's that guy with the gsr motor in his 3g? lives in cali? amazing huh

deevergote
11-24-2004, 09:21 PM
The motor in the 86-87 was a BT (I know, I have one :D) So HOPEFULLY the BT from the 3G would fit... The fact that the Prelude A20A doesn't fit in the 3G scares me. It shows that just because the code is the same, it won't always fit.

The B swap mount kit for the 3G is like $500, right?

I could easily find a GSR head for like $400, and an LS block for what, $300? Maybe more, I dunno. But with smart shopping, I think I could get the whole thing done for $1500 or so. Turbo for maybe $2000 (taking custom parts into consideration)... so, that's a $5000 turbo 2G that would kick ass! :D

There are a few people with B series swaps here, aren't there? I considered the B18C5 (ITR) but it would give the same issues as the H22 when it came to boost... and I hate the fact that my H22 would take so much to boost!

88accordhb
11-24-2004, 09:49 PM
uhhh wait a minute, i got my facts all mixed up. i thought the 86 was a bt and the 87 is the a20a3 with the same specs as the bt. then came the other version of the a20a3. either case, the gen2 didn't have a bt. iono. man i'm lost.

but insane tho, imagine a 2g with turbo lsvtec, you might have to put make up on the motor if you want boost on the real, stock would be able to handle 6-8 psi's. but man just the lsvtec alone in a 2g would be groovie to the MAX!

deevergote
11-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Very true. I know a guy who's a whiz with the LS/VTEC. Hopefully he'll help me!

Still, the swap alone would be sweet.

I'm talking to a guy that says he knows someone with that swap done (and I wanted to be original!)... I guess it's possible, if he knows what he's talking about!

my86dx4dr
11-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Goodluck on finding mounts for a b series. PR.com dosnt make them anymore from what i hear

deevergote
11-24-2004, 10:50 PM
Really? Damn! Were they the only ones?

Man, first Sean stops making his stuff for the A20A, and now I can't get B series mounts! :(

deevergote
11-24-2004, 10:56 PM
ardperformance.com
Enjo Bolt In Motor Mounts (Kit for 86-89 Accord) B16A/B17A/B18A Conversion $639.95

The most expensive mounts on the site! Bleh... but they're there.

ICEMAN707
11-24-2004, 11:24 PM
do they have the mounts in stock? if so, that's good. but still, you're still screwed on custom shift linkage, wiring harness, and axles. so, still too much trouble to face.

88accordhb
11-25-2004, 05:47 AM
dude i think we're on our own on the mounts now, everyone (mounts, headers, etc) bailed on us.

deevergote
11-25-2004, 11:02 AM
I'll have to research... If the engine is essentially the same (it's an E series, by the way... ET2 and ET3) then maybe the shift linkage is the same too... If everything is similar to the 3G, then the swap should be close to the B swap in the 3G.

And, according to that site, Enjo makes mounts for the 3G still. Expensive, but they're there! (I hope)

SteveDX89
11-25-2004, 07:37 PM
For the ten millionth time, Enjo never made a mount kit for us. Place Racing was the only one. They are out of business. Therefore, no mount kit is available. The mounts that they were selling on that site were Place Racing mounts. Unless they're sitting in a warehouse somewhere, you aren't getting them.

Edit - here's the exact item copied from that site. "Bolt In Motor Mounts (Kit for 86-89 Accord) B16A/B17A/B18A Conversion" No where in that whole statement does the word Enjo show up.

deevergote
11-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Wow...
I can't understand how I could've made that mistake! You know... since the page has Enjo graphics, and 90% of the mounts on there say that they are Enjo mounts.

Still, regardless of how much of a jerk you're being in that last post, it seems that you're right. Still, they may have them in stock. Just because Place Racing is out of business doesn't mean that some of their products might not still be availible!

I emailed the site to see if they have any in stock, and if they are indeed Place Racing. Rather than get all high and mighty, let's just get some real answers!

SteveDX89
11-26-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm only a jerk when the same thing has been posted 10 times.

deevergote
11-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Well, the thread is about putting a B series into a 2G. The conversation progressed into mounts... It's not like I specifically asked about the availibility of B series mounts for the 3G. I just happened to learn here that they are no longer made!

Believe it or not, as soon as someone said the mounts weren't made, I SEARCHED on this site for info to back it up. Read the posts in context and you'll see that nothing is being asked for the millionth time.

SteveDX89
11-26-2004, 01:15 PM
The B swap mount kit for the 3G is like $500, right?

First mention of B swap mount kit in the entire thread. Also the title of thread is about mounts.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I'm just backing up my side on this matter.

deevergote
11-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Yeah, but it's asking about the mounts of a 2G as related to a 3G... not exactly something that has been covered before! The title of the thread refers to 2G mounts and the similarity or dissimilarity to the 3G mounts. The mention of the B swap kit was also related to the 2G. I took for granted that the aftermarket mounts were availible, and was asking if the 2G has the same setup (apparently, the 86 Accord ALSO had the E series engine in it... the 1.8L engine was an E, or at least one of them).

The thread is about the similarity of the 2G and 3G. The reason why I'm asking is because I want to try a B swap without too much custom work. The thread is not asking about B mounts specifically, or where to find them. That subject just worked its way into the thread.

Now, I don't want to turn this into a flame war... I've been on this board for a while now (reading, if not posting) and I've learned a good deal from things you've said. I respect you, and I'd rather not get into an argument with you over something stupid.

'A20A3'
11-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Mike, you are always producing absolutely sick ideas. :lol:

A 2G would be the ultimate sleeper, but what's going on with your Hatch?

Glad to see you back here after awhile. Get at me on AIM sometime.

deevergote
11-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Eh, I think I might stick it out with the hatch afterall... I mean, we had 1200 miles together, and that was something! :lol:

She needs a ton of work, but it really would be more interesting than a DSM. I think the 3G hatch is one of the best looking Hondas ever. Plus, the A20A engine really isn't appreciated as much as it should be! I just wish Sean didn't close shop at AccordCentral... He's pretty much the reason why I bought the car! Ah well...

Still, a 2G would be awesome... Not that I have the room, or the money. Hell, I've been planning the fate of my H22 for over 2 years now! I look deep into things well before I actually move on them (the 3G being an exception). Research is key... and half the fun!

'A20A3'
11-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Indeed it is. I'm very happy to hear that you're not getting rid of the 3G. When I get my Coupe on the road(more like will I still be alive :lol: )I'll come down and help you work on it. I wanna see that CB7 too!

deevergote
11-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Definitely!
I could use lots of help on the 3G, that's for sure. I have to replace the head... I'll keep the old block.

I also have some mount issues, I think... and tranny issues... and definitely some wheel stud issues... :lol:

Hit me on AIM if you're still on. I'll be up for a little bit longer (early meet tomorrow, so I gotta go to bed soon)

Man, I'm whoring my own thread! :lol:

SteveDX89
11-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Hey man, there's no ill feelings. IMO, a B series 2g would be pretty damn sick. However, as you know, the mounting is all custom these days. Damn these aftermarket companies for not supporting the old school Hondas. Since you have a 3g hatch, I think you should keep it and work on that. Just because Sean shut down Accord Central doesn't mean turbos, etc. are out of the question. Just research, research, research. I'm the same about research. I love looking into the possibilities of what I can do. Good luck with whatever you choose.

deevergote
11-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks man... Yeah, I have no intention on getting rid of the hatch... I was thinking 2G in addition to it :D I want to boost the A20 to have something interesting (plus, the block is nearly indestructible, I'm told... I wanna see!). The 2G would be a great candidate for a B, especially since it weighs 2300 (so less than 2000 easily with some minor weight reduction.)

SteveDX89
11-27-2004, 10:14 AM
the block is nearly indestructible, I'm told... I wanna see!).

This is very true. A cast iron closed deck block is just asking to be boosted.

PhydeauX
11-29-2004, 08:16 AM
I briefly read this and didn't see the answer to the initial question so I will post it here. The 3g mounts do not work in a 2g. The 2g mounts will bolt to an a20 block which is why its possible to swap an a20 into a 2g. The motors are very similar but the chassis are not.

andy

deevergote
11-29-2004, 08:14 PM
If the A20 will bolt into the 2G, then how come it wouldn't be possible to use the aftermarket B mounts (assuming some could be located) to swap in a B? If the mounts make the B series fit into the 3G engine bay that houses the A20, then I would think the 2G would be the same if it too could accept an A20 with the stock mounting points.

Thanks for the reply Andy... you've given me more info than I've found anywhere else so far! If the A20 can go into the 2G, then there's hope of something! (even if it's just a turbocharged A20! :lol:)

If you could elaborate on why the A20 would fit, but the B wouldn't work using the mounts made for a 3G it would be much appreciated!

SteveDX89
11-30-2004, 04:06 AM
According to Andy, the 2g mounts and the 3g mounts are different. As he said, the chassis is different so a 2g mount is used to put an A20 in.

deevergote
11-30-2004, 06:32 PM
I think I get it... maybe, anyway... The 2G mounts will bolt to the A20A, but the 3G custom mounts won't bolt into the 2G? Is that right?

Well, I guess I could always do a turbo A20A in a 2G, if I can get that right with my 3G!

carotman
11-30-2004, 07:06 PM
that's right. The mounts from the 2g and 3g are different but will allow the use of the same engine.

Also, the A20A from the prelude and Accord are the same and interchangeable

deevergote
12-01-2004, 12:04 PM
That's right... I was thinking the B series found in the Prelude... that's the one that doesn't fit properly, right?

SteveDX89
12-01-2004, 12:17 PM
That's right... I was thinking the B series found in the Prelude... that's the one that doesn't fit properly, right?

Right, that motor won't fit without a lot of headaches.

carotman
12-04-2004, 12:18 PM
The B series foundi n the 2G prelude will fit.

it's the one from the 3G prelude that will not fit.

Coy
12-05-2004, 01:33 AM
deevergote...do you already have the 2g or is it something you have yet to aquire? if you have it already is it carb or EFI?

i had a really long post going some time ago about swaps for a 2g. im still contemplating going EFI in mine but i have to find another vehicle beforehand, but as you have contemplated i was also thinking to swap a a20a1 into mine.

deevergote
12-05-2004, 08:54 AM
It's something I have yet to aquire... Just thinking ahead. I believe the only EFI 2G was the 85, correct?

Anyway, I think it would be pretty straightforward. I've never even seen the engine bay of a 2G in real life though!

Coy
12-05-2004, 09:08 AM
i think it was 85-84 but only the Sei. the Sei was also the only one that came with leather seats and a sunroof. theres quite a bit to putting FI into a carb 2g though just so you know. not to bad of a car, i want good old EFI though.

let me know what goes on man.

steven
12-05-2004, 09:23 AM
then why do i see mount kit from ENJO here? (http://www.ardperformance.com/cgi-bin/indexenjo.pl?action=index)

steven
12-05-2004, 09:25 AM
then why do i see mount kit from ENJO here? (http://www.ardperformance.com/cgi-bin/indexenjo.pl?action=index)
and you can get custom axls made and custom shift linkage, just have to find people who do them, your current linkage might be able to me cut and welded to the right length, im sure people have swaped b-series into a 2g accord, people have swaped evereything in to anything. H series in to a CRX,
thats a hard swap

HostileJava
12-05-2004, 09:31 AM

Wasn't this covered on the first page of this thread? I dont' see enjo anywhere in the descriptoin on that page.

steven
12-05-2004, 09:44 AM
all the mounts on the page are made by enjo.

deevergote
12-05-2004, 10:21 AM
That's what we were discussing above... The kit isn't Enjo (though it does seem like it... notice that it doesn't say "enjo" for that particular one, and a couple others). It is also not in stock, and they don't know when they are getting any more. I emailed the company and asked a couple weeks ago.

As for changing the 2G from carb to EFI, what else would be involved if I just wanted to swap out the entire engine and ECU? I know converting an engine from carb to EFI is a headache, but I would think a full swap would be pretty straightforward... as long as it bolted in. Of course, I don't know anything about that really! :lol:

Coy
12-05-2004, 11:12 AM
carb to EFI...fuel lines, fuel pump, rewire the engine bay, there isnt an ECU in a 2g carb i may have missed something...i had a post about the same thing...It would be here (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=36580)