PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problems

87RedAccord
11-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Ok.. There are two electrical problems with my car at the moment..
1...My alternator light is on, i got it checked out and they said the alternator is charging up battery.. they said it will have to be something making the light turn on.. anybody has this problem before?

2...My tail lights and speddo lights dont work either.. i checked the fuse it was blown but everytime i replaced it (2 times) they still dont work and they blow the fuse.. there 15amps..

cheers.. any help will be great thanks

Neuspeed87lx
11-25-2004, 09:12 AM
1 yeah the alternator may be charging the battery but is it charging it properly ? charging around 13 volts ? test the battery too ...

2 sounds like you may have a short somewhere... is a 15 amp fuse the right fuse?

Mac
11-25-2004, 09:38 AM
1.Is your car fuel injected or a carb? If it is a carb, check the choke heater for the alternator light. Disconnect the choke heater and see if the light goes out.

2. Did you recently do any wiring? Like install a radio? It sounds like something is shorted. There is alot on that fuse, all dash lights, radio light, switch lights, glove box light, tails etc. So it could be any of these. Check bulbs and sockets on the tails. Did you change anything before this started to happen?

87RedAccord
11-25-2004, 10:09 PM
YEh ive done some neon work and then it started a bit after that so ill have a look at that this arvo when i get it back from getting a service.. and it fuel injected.. cheers dudes that helps me out heaps ill let ya know if i fix it or make more problems lol.. yeh it ment to be a 15am fuse..
cheers

POS carb
11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
when I got my car back from the body shop they cut up the jacket on one of the tail light wires and whenever I'd press the brake the fuse would blow... get a multimeter and check for the resistance between the + wires of the brake lights and ground, isolate them also (disconnect the taillight wires one at a time and replace the fuse) and see if it still blows... using this will help determine where the short lies

87RedAccord
12-16-2004, 07:14 AM
okie i worked out the tail light problem.. there was a cable in the back of stereo that the tape slipped off and there wire was touching metal or something. fixed that put a new fuse and it worked lol. thanks to my dodgy stereo wiring.