PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation

u9hnuino
11-25-2004, 02:27 PM
My car is an 88 accord lx and its a maroon color. It has a good bit of oxidation on the roof and on the hood of the car. I was hoping that someone could give me some insight on how to get rid of the oxidation until I can get a new paint job. Any help or tips would be much appreciated.
Happy Thanksgiving everybody. Peace.

pisnapalm
11-25-2004, 04:02 PM
welcome,
id use nufinish, it's in an orange bottle at any autozone or walmart
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/465000-465999/465583_14.jpg
my dad told me about this stuff a long time ago. i've used it on old paint jobs, even fiberglass. just buff out any holidays, (and be liberal in application) but it's good stuff.

edit: i 4got to mention, there's many lvls of oxidation (from faded colors to peel) and if you're really bad off you'll need alittle bit of prep work beforehand. most would tell you that if the hood is really bad off and there's exposed metal and such, at this point you're gonna need to do something besides wax/polish to prevent rusting (like paint or temp prime, but i'm guessing you don't wanna do that if you posted for fix). sorry for being vague previously.
ty

ryotto
11-26-2004, 07:54 AM
heres what i did for my white accord(the paint was real oxidised and the white paint looked cloudy and never really white). but when i was done it looked much better and shinnyer.

first wash and dry the car.

next buy a polishing compound; you apply it like you would wax but go back and forth(not in circles) you have to press pretty hard;take you time, the longer it takes you, the better it will look. you might have to go over some part twice.

after you buffed all of the compound residue off wash and dry your car again.

after that check real close and make shoure you got all of the oxidized paint off, if you didnt go back and work with it more untill you cant see any oxidization.

this step is optional, if you really want your paint to look awsome buy some pure paint polish(not pollishing compound) and use that. if you do this step i would reccomend you quick wash and dry you car again to get all of the polish off

now if you got all of the oxidation off and happy with it go on to waxing the car with your wax of choice(i reccomend a cleaner wax to help remove oxidation in the futcher).

to help keep you paint from oxidizeing, wax you car whenever the paint doesnt bead water, as long as it beads water theres wax on it. and if you use a cleaner wax, it removes any oxidation that might be on there.

u9hnuino
11-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys. I'm probably going to go get that Nufinish today up at advanced auto parts and I'll be sure to let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again.
Lata.