PDA

View Full Version : Engine idle fine, but stall when step on gas

Luis 89LXi
11-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi guys, i just take the 89 LX for a ride, when the car is cold, choke works fine, close and open when its warmed. When im in drive, the engine idles fine about 1200 RPM on D4, but when i step the gas, engine hesiatates for a couple seconds and die sometimes. I have to rev it to 2000 to avoid stall and move, i can revv high but when i let off the gas, stop at a ligth and step on gas again this problem happens.

i check second barrel venturi(all in place), float level, vaccum hoses, but still have this problem, just when step on gas, engine past 2k RPM and works fine, idle fine. choke is open when warm. I think its a fuel related problem.

89 LX Auto

Help !!!

DanG86LX
11-26-2004, 08:40 PM
accelerator pump? when u rev it could u see a squirt of gas in primary bore?

A20A1
11-27-2004, 12:40 AM
1200 is a tad bit high for the idle in gear.

it would be good to have a vacuum gauge to see what kind of vacuum you are pulling...

do you know if you have a weak electrical system, ( Alternator )

Or maybe a loose wire or spark plug... or maybe a groung wire or corroded battery connection or something.

Did you rebuild or replace anything on the carb? doesn the accelerator pump linkage have the spring on it? and does the linkage press down on a rod... I remember someone had a problem simmilar and they forgot to install the accel pump rod.

Luis 89LXi
11-27-2004, 09:44 AM
i test the acelerator pump, pulling throtle cable and squirt of gas on primary so its not the pump.
about alt; ligths dont fade as i rev the engine, cables; i first use crane cams, but i tougth was cables so i use stock cables from my LXI, does same problem whit both (i using NGK Iridium plugs).

I was thinkin about the coil, ill try from my LXI, and i will try the carb cleaner around the gaskets too. Did somebody know for another test left to do ??? it should be A/F mixture related??

Luis

DanG86LX
11-27-2004, 09:57 AM
No, is not "A/F mixture", but as A20A1 said, 1200 in D4 is not idle. Proly u dont have idle @ 800rpm.
Do u sense a miss @ one cylinder?
Also check timing @ IDLE (so fix ur idle 1st) .

Luis 89LXi
11-27-2004, 10:02 AM
i'll try to set rigth idle first, then i check for timming.
Im searching previus posts realted to the accelerator pump to see if i can get clear how this thing works.

thank you Dan and Mike, i will let you know how it turns.

Luis