PDA

View Full Version : OBD0 - OBD1 conversion harnesses found...

Hash_man_Se_i
11-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Found this link off of Honda-Tech, and I thought some of you might like to see it... I am sure it would help anyone who is running or setting up a turbo setup for their accord and wants to run something like Hondata/ Uberdata, etc..

I figure 99$ is a pretty good price considering the retarded cost it would be to get your own fab'd up..

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EVSOBD0-1&Category_Code=OBDHARNESS

RobT5580
11-27-2004, 07:07 PM
That is a good price i paid $150 from www.boomslang.com but he made mine according to my wiring diagram.

AccordEpicenter
11-27-2004, 07:25 PM
whoa... does that fit our cars?

Hash_man_Se_i
11-27-2004, 07:56 PM
I would assume that it fits our cars... says its for Honda OBD0 cars... and I was under the impression that other OBD0 ECU's like the CRX could fit in our cars anyways... so, yea, i can imagine this would work.

mag_pbg
11-28-2004, 07:30 AM
So what does this mean, that we can use different ECUs now¿

RobT5580
11-28-2004, 08:43 AM
Yes it will fit our cars thats what im using. I do believe a few pins differ from the other OBD0 cars and there will be a few pins left open to splice into which are not needed.

And yes that means you can use other ECU'S but you need a OBD-1 Distributor to use them.

Hash_man_Se_i
11-28-2004, 11:28 AM
And yes that means you can use other ECU'S but you need a OBD-1 Distributor to use them.

Oh... you do? ... so then which distributor would work... I have really just started looking into this, didnt know about that.

RobT5580
11-28-2004, 12:01 PM
I have the B20A and the distributor is already setup for OBD1 so it was easier for me. Plus the AEM EMS i could use an OBD-0 distributor anyway if i had to. I know some people were looking into modifiying a OBD1 distributor to bolt up to the A20. Basically if you get that and wire it in then you open yourself up to many ECU options.

shepherd79
11-28-2004, 12:52 PM
sorry, but that won't work with our cars. our wirring harness is not even OBD-0. you have to convert to OBD-0 first if you want to use this harness.
you can't just plug it in, it is a little more work than you think.

RobT5580
11-28-2004, 01:22 PM
I have already done it to my car so it does work. Granted im using the B20A the only major difference is that im using the AEM EMS which leaves me more options as far as sensors go.

I agree its not a simple plug and play but its not as hard as some make it out to be. You need to know your wiring and know the function of each sensor and take the time to make the few changes (O2, Distributor, Etc). If you go through boomslang he uses the actually helmes Honda wiring diagram to make the conversion harness. Then you are left with a few odds and ends like Knock, O2 heater, Cylinder sensor, etc. I expected it to be harder than it was but most of it was very basic and a matter of just adding wires to my existing harness and im still using the original accord harness.

SteveDX89
11-28-2004, 04:55 PM
This will work. You will need to move a few pins around on the OBD 0 plugs. All you'll need are wiring diagrams of the Accord plugs and of another OBD 0 ECU. Move your pins around, plug in the conversion harness, plug in your OBD 1 ECU and bolt up an OBD 1 distributor and you're set to go. I believe openloop is using a distributor from an F22. Do a search on OBD 1 on the forum and you should find that thread. I plan on using that very same piece sometime in the near future.

EDIT - http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=18160

Vanilla Sky
11-28-2004, 05:48 PM
one thing i'd like is to use the dizzy with an electronic advance with DCOEs... can you go this route and stay carbed? i mean, it's probably cheaper than an electronic ignition...

Hash_man_Se_i
11-28-2004, 07:24 PM
I have the B20A and the distributor is already setup for OBD1 so it was easier for me. Plus the AEM EMS i could use an OBD-0 distributor anyway if i had to. I know some people were looking into modifiying a OBD1 distributor to bolt up to the A20. Basically if you get that and wire it in then you open yourself up to many ECU options.

So, say if I were to use AEM EMS, with such a harness I wouldn't have to change distributors?.. that would make life easy

SteveDX89
11-28-2004, 07:45 PM
So, say if I were to use AEM EMS, with such a harness I wouldn't have to change distributors?.. that would make life easy

YOU NEED AN OBD 1 DISTRIBUTOR!!!!

RobT5580
11-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Thats not true with what he is asking Steve.

If you use the AEM EMS there is a download available to use a OBD0 16-tooth distributor and has been done numerous times. The only thing Hash is make sure you have a qualified AEM Certified tuner in you area that is good with honda's. If you run into trouble you want to have an experienced tech to be able to fix it fast. Time=Money when it comes to tuning and someone not familiar with honda's will take 3x as long to set it up.

I had issues finding someone good with Honda's so i hired a guy from about 10 hours away to set mine up. Once setup you should be able to use a competent tuner local to dial it all in if need be.

Hash_man_Se_i
11-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks rob... I'll have to check into that... although AEM EMS is pretty pricey, so I'll also be looking into other options.

SteveDX89
11-29-2004, 04:01 AM
Interesting. I thought the OBD 1 dizzy was different as far as electrical and wiring.

RobT5580
11-29-2004, 10:34 AM
They are but AEM made a provision so they could help out some OBD-0 guys. As for other options im not sure if the OBD-0 distributor will work so make sure to check that out or find a OBD-1 distributor that will work.

SteveDX89
11-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Eh, I may say the hell with OBD 1 and just stick with 0 and use a V-AFC. Coverting to OBD 1 would cost me $400 at least and then I'd have to buy the Hondata on top of it.

RobT5580
11-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Steve, you can probably do it for less than that if you find a OBD-1 distributor and ECU for cheap. All you will really need is the conversion harness $100-$150max and then get it chipped. I see people on other forums burning chips all the time and it seems easier to find people to do that method than my stand alone ecu. But then again i dont think you really need to upgrade your setup. If you were turbo i would say go for it since tuning is very crutial and obd-1 is basically where you need to be for decent options.

Justin86
11-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Well we have been trying to figure this out for awhile now, and without anybody posting how they did it is not helping. I have most of the pins figured out, but thee is still a few I'm not sure on. SO you guys that have done it as of what wires need to be added, or what pins need to be switched for the conversion harness to work, etc........... please post how in the hell to DO IT.
Hers the main thead on the subject http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37494

RobT5580
11-29-2004, 01:30 PM
If you use the boomslang harness you wont have to move any pins. He will leave the extra wires w/o pin locations loose so you can splice them yourself. But I only used a couple of those the rest were thinks like Vtec solenoid and things we wont use anyway. If you buy the genaric harness premaid then you probably will have to move pins which are a pain on new connectors since they are very stiff.

SteveDX89
11-29-2004, 05:55 PM
Steve, you can probably do it for less than that if you find a OBD-1 distributor and ECU for cheap. All you will really need is the conversion harness $100-$150max and then get it chipped. I see people on other forums burning chips all the time and it seems easier to find people to do that method than my stand alone ecu. But then again i dont think you really need to upgrade your setup. If you were turbo i would say go for it since tuning is very crutial and obd-1 is basically where you need to be for decent options.

Well, it seems B-series dizzys are more expensive than A's. The cheapest I could find was on eBay for $200. I'd prefer to get a brand new one. VTEC motors are hard to find in the junkyard so finding a used one would be kinda tough. I could use one off an LS teg but then I have to hack off one of the mounting brackets to clear the VTEC solenoid. The ECU would most likely end up being a P28 (easier to find) which would then need a DOHC conversion since it's a SOHC ECU. I will need to upgrade my setup in the future. It won't be a stock motor for too much longer as long as things fall into place. Also, the OBD is basically just emissions stuff. It really shouldn't effect anything else.