PDA

View Full Version : Window Problems

Mattphi
11-27-2004, 09:41 PM
The other day i noticed my driver side window was acting up. They are power windows and usually work perfect. BUT the weird thing is, it will go up...but not go down. Whenever i push the button to go down, it makes that almost silent noise like its trying to go down but cant. If i push it numerous times then eventually it might go down.The passenger side works and the driverside, like i said before, does go up perfectly. Heres what im thinking...i park infront of my house and theres a house being built across from me that always kicks dirt and sand onto my car, is that a possible reason for the window to not be going down? Like theres dirt in the tracks or something? Help me out. Thanks

3gn86lxi
11-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Use some silicon spray(wet type)and spray into the window tracks and see what happens. If you don't have silicon, then use WD40, it will just dissapate sooner. Sometimes they get soo dry that the rubber will stick to the glass.
Try it, hopefully it will help. :alc:

Mattphi
11-28-2004, 12:38 PM
true, but idunno why it would have no problem going up. Meaning, i know the motor in the window is fine since it most likely uses more of the motor to push it back up. DAMNIT this is agrivating

nswst8
11-28-2004, 12:49 PM
I had a similar problem. The lock down bolts on the motor were loose and actually tore the metal and I had to use some large metal washers to secure the motor. Silicone the rubber in the tracks since you already have everything open.
Good luck

Mattphi
11-29-2004, 06:58 AM
I had a similar problem. The lock down bolts on the motor were loose and actually tore the metal and I had to use some large metal washers to secure the motor. Silicone the rubber in the tracks since you already have everything open.
Good luck

Would that be a reason that it wouldnt go down? I would think that it would make it harder to go up :dunno:

3gn86lxi
11-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Sometimes the weather strip gets so dry that the window will bind up so bad it wont roll down at all. Thats were the most leverage is put on the motor, regulator, ect.
Older cars with that type rubber commonly have this problem, what condition is your weather strip in?? Is it all pushed up in the front corner? You may just want to replace it. :)

Blkblurr
11-29-2004, 02:32 PM
It could just be a bad switch contact for the down direction. Try jumpering the down switch contact with a wire to see if that works when it's sticking on you.

nswst8
11-29-2004, 04:48 PM
The only way to resolve this is to remove the door panel and see what the problem is.

There are a variety of possibilities but the only difininative answer your looking for is to investigate.

But because the motor wasn't secured to the door frame it had a difficult time pulling the window down. pushing the window up wasn't a problem because the holding bolts weren't completley out so it was able to push the up, just not completley down.

Mattphi
11-29-2004, 07:42 PM
True, i am gonna look further into it all tomorrow. I touched the window today and noticed that it is very loose. when the door is closed u can move it front to back and actually see dirt one the very edge from where it has slid up and down over time. So yea, ill check more tomorrow

hootymo
01-29-2005, 03:42 PM
what are the window tracks? do i have to take off my door panel to spray the lubricant in there or can i do it with the panel on?

AccordNut
01-29-2005, 04:09 PM
its possible to lubricate your tracks with the window on, you have to take the door panel off and there is a crease that your window sits in, just take some wd-40 or any kind of simple lubricant(make sure you buy one with a little straw for the spray nozzle) squirt it into the top of the track and let it trickle down. its also a good idea to spray the motor tracks as well.

hootymo
01-29-2005, 04:37 PM
thank you!! :)

hootymo
01-31-2005, 12:49 AM
anyone know if i should really spring for that honda spray lubricant stuff or will wd-40 work just fine?

snow_man_20
01-31-2005, 01:01 AM
i used graphite, worked great, wet lub can make it gum up in the future makeing it even worse.

hootymo
01-31-2005, 02:56 AM
hmm i think ill just try a quick spray down the weatherstripping for now and see what happens. is there a way i can adjust my window so it goes up a little higher also cuz i got a little bit of wind noise and when i push up on the window a bit it goes away. is there a way to make the window go up that little bit further by itself? pushing it up is kinda annoying...

AccordNut
01-31-2005, 04:23 AM
i dont think you can make it go up any higher, if you can check to make sure your window is sitting good on the bar that raises it up and down. also make sure all the bolts to the motor are tight. the window can actually roll past the door it just stops when it hits some resistance, im thinkin maybe its not lined up right or something is loose.