PDA

View Full Version : seat reupholstery help

Betz
11-27-2004, 10:46 PM
i did a search and couldn't find anything,
im planning on doing some tweed/vinyl seat covers
with balck tweed and yellow vinyl inserts... im just wondering how many yards of each i should get.

im thinking of putting in some seat warmers too :rockon:

Mattphi
11-28-2004, 12:43 PM
if u have done it before, then go for it. But if not then leave it to professionals. It is definitly not an easy task

HondaBoy
11-29-2004, 06:00 PM
i'd say you need a bit of experience before tacling this. redoing a seat isnt an easy task comparing it to redoing door panels or something like that. there's a place i've found here where i live that does bad ass work for extremely cheap. i know to redo the front and back seats in vinal would be about $400 or so. most places charge around $1500 for a simple job with just vinal. i thought about recovering my seats myself, but found its not as easy as it looks. gotta have heavy duty sewing machine and strong needles, special threads. i dunno, i myself wouldnt try it. that's up to to though.

markmdz89hatch
12-11-2004, 07:11 PM
This is not an easy task at all, but with a lot of concentration and a whole-lot of time, it can be done. I've redone my boat interior and have recently been working on car interiors including seats. If you need any pointers, feel free to ask. I'm no professional, but I'd like to think that my results look professional.

Listen to HondaBoy though b/c he's right, especially for tweed and vinyl, you'll need an upholstery or other heavy duty machine, and make sure you use 100% nylon thread, as poly, cotton, etc. will all deteriorate over time, and do not wear well at all.

Hell, if you would like, I would certainly be able to do these seats for you.

Good luck bro.

Betz
12-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Hell, if you would like, I would certainly be able to do these seats for you.

for how much?

w00tw00t111
12-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Hey Mattphi, I don't mean to be a thread stealer but, I just went to your car domain site and saw the picture of you and Courtney Day. Dude, that must have been freakin' awesome! She is HOT! Siiiizzzzz!!!

Now onto the thread. Me my mom and sister reupholtered a 1950 chair that my dead great-grandpa made. It was a really simple pattern no special stuff. It was hard as hell! What would have taken a pro maybe 2 hours took us 5 days! If you have no previous experience I would say spend the extra money and take it to a pro.

Personally what I would do is ask the pro if I could come and watch. Maybe help, that way next time around you will know what your doing. That's what I am doing with the painter.

That's just my two cents.

TheSummoner101
12-13-2004, 10:36 PM
duct tape + seat covers :D

w00tw00t111
12-13-2004, 10:55 PM
But dude those seat covers are so ugly. At least the ones I've seen. And they slide all around. They need to make adhesive seat covers. Now that would be awesome. Hahaha

kauffman21
01-18-2005, 10:57 AM
I install custom leather in cincinnati,ohio. i wouldnt recommend trying to do the job unless your experienced at all, our shop charges anywhere from $800.00 - $1,200.00 depending on colors,models,sizes,etc. i'd recommend going to this website, this is where my company gets all of its lether kits, complete with door panels, they even let you customize your seats online so you know what it will look like before you order. atleast check it out..... www.katzkin.com those are complete kits, i understand that you were going to sew your own? then if you think you can takle sewing your own, then evedently you know what your doing....if you dont, i must insist.....DONT DO IT!!!!!

BlueBead
01-18-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm with everyone else on this one.. don't do it! Personally I'd go leather or get good seats from the wreckers (pref. leather from an SEI) If you are going to spend the money on this you might as well do it right.. -my 2cents
Good luck.. and post some pics once you're done