PDA

View Full Version : Alternator How To

killerb09
07-30-2002, 03:22 AM
Well I don't have axcess to post to the How to sectyion so I'll put it here...maybe this is already there???

well long story short my SEI needed some love and attention last littil while...it wouldn't turn over adn woiuldn't do much of anythign other then click click...
well replaced teh starter and altenator....not hard job did it in one night,....even disassembled the starter adn cleaned it out and reassembleded it to get it firing...
ok the alternator rigth...lol

Well first thign to do is throw your haynes manual out the fucking window....don't even bother listening to it for the removal on a LXI/SEI...just read this adn enjoy...
well first lets say AL = alternator cause I'm lazy

ok first step is to remove the negative lead oin the batterey
2. locate the altenator on teh drivers side of teh engine right in teh back....
now mine had a bolt to provide tension to teh pulley belt adn by tightening it the belt got tighter....this needs to be loosened almost untill it is off...but don't loose teh parts.
3. you may have to loosen the 2 bolts that hold the altenator on to the mounting brackets in order to move the "Al"...theres one on teh top that attaches to teh tightening bolt adn one on teh botom
4.Jack up the drivers side of teh car and remove the wheel and plastic part of teh inner fender(mine was already missing...)
5. now with the bottom exposed you can reach teh bolt...it's a 14mm I think and should only need a wrench on one side.
6. with all the bolts loosened remove tension on the drive belt by loosening the nut on the tensioner on the top of teh AL. even with the nut almost all off I still had a rough time gettting the belt over teh edge of teh pulley...
7. with the belt off try to inspect it for any bad areas...if any are found replce the belt....the power steering belt must be removed to install a new AL belt.
8.Now in teh Haybes book it says you need to drop the axle adn stuff from teh knuckle to get the altenator out....I got mine out this way:
A.Remove teh air box cover from teh rear of teh intake...comes off with like 4 clips
B. now remove the "inner" air box by removing the 2 boplts(10mm) from teh top adn any clips along the bottom...should just pull out easily
C. thats it
9. Remove teh bolts that hold the altenator in to the car one on top(12mm) adn one on bottom(14mm) teh top is a real tight fit and you'll need a open end wrench for the last litle bit of thred
10. remove teh "green" plug from the rear adn also teh "lead" thats bolted to teh AL...think it's like a (10mm)
11. now that the AL is free just grab it and push/pull it from the mount on the bottom...should coem pretty easily but you may need a screw driver to pry on it a bit(I didn't)
12. turn it so teh pulley is upwards adn simpley pull it up through where the air box was....

13. As Haynes would say....installation is the reversal of removal....lol

I just did this last night and it worked awesome...took me like 20 mins to get the thing off

any questions email me or pm me...

adn enjoy.

smufguy
08-04-2002, 05:36 PM
when i took my altenator off, i could not get it back in (it was a new altenator). took the bracket off, hammered the altenator in. hehehe,

dhcarss
08-08-2002, 06:56 AM
Thats the way I did mine, When I saw how the haynes book said to do it after I did it this way I thought that was nuts......

smufguy
08-09-2002, 04:25 AM
all i wanna do right now, is burn that haynes piece of shit. what the hell were they thinking when they tried to write up that crap?

offthahook
08-28-2002, 10:48 PM
So you can do it without removing the axle. :cool:

3rdGenMartyr
08-31-2002, 09:51 PM
i couldnt do it with out removing the axle, but me and a buddy pulled one in like 10 minutes (the damned tierods would loosen up) and put one in in about 2 hours (we were drinking heavily by that time and got around to other things)

shepherd79
09-01-2002, 02:55 AM
you don't have to remove axle. i think haynes manual refers to carb engine but even on carb you don't have to.
anyway, take your airfilter box completly out, remove alternator and slide it through the opening where airfilter box used to be.
it will slide without any problems.

spnrx
09-19-2006, 11:28 AM
So in my 89 sei All I have to do is take out my airbox and remove the alt then install the new one. But in the carbed 87 lx How would I get the alt out without dropping the axle.

EX-ileAccord
09-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Im not saying this to be a dick but every time you tryed to type the you typed teh lol I noticed because I do the same thing sometimes. As for the alt on the carb'ed models I got on out by squezing it out on the passanger side between the motor mount and the engine

A18A
09-20-2006, 01:32 AM
Im not saying this to be a dick but every time you tryed to type the you typed teh lol I noticed because I do the same thing sometimes. As for the alt on the carb'ed models I got on out by squezing it out on the passanger side between the motor mount and the engine
lol ya i noticed the same thing, the way he said it you would think "the" was a spelling mistake haha. well back on topic, i know this is a old thread but yeah. alt removal is pretty simple, i just took for ever cause i stripped the 14mm bolt and didnt get around to getting a 6 point socket for aaaaaaaaages, other than that pretty simple. heres how i did it on a carbed car:

1. left negative battery lead on so i could still listen to my music
2. loosen adjusting nut
3. take out the nut going into the alt from adjusting bracket
4. get under car, undo the 14mm bolt (can be a bitch if you have limited tools)
5. unplug it, along with white lead
6. unbolt the black box and let it sit right by the air cleaner
7. pull the alt through the top. be carefull of random sharp screws sticking outta the firewall that might make your hand bleed alot like mine

done

on my other car, it had no pivot bolt but it was jammed in there pretty hard, i got it out by holding a breaker bar on it and hammering the hell out of it till it came out. i filed the hole area for the pivot bolt on the alt so it can actually pivot and not get jammed when i put it in the car

smufguy
09-20-2006, 11:44 AM
how the heck did you find this 4 year old dead thread??!!

ominus
01-07-2007, 04:34 PM
How the hell do u get the 14 mil bottom bolt of...I cant get it...although all I have is wratching wrenches and sockets.....is there something else I can use to get more leverage on it?

A18A
01-07-2007, 06:32 PM
How the hell do u get the 14 mil bottom bolt of...I cant get it...although all I have is wratching wrenches and sockets.....is there something else I can use to get more leverage on it?
i had this exact problem too, took me for ever to get it off, the trick is, throw away your 12 point socket and get a 6 point one (i stripped the bolt with the 12 point one, just luckily there was enough of the bolt left to use a 6 point), use some CRC or WD40 (what ever that stuff is you use to help loosen bolts) and then try doing it. i had to use one of those bitch tiny wrench things cause nothing else would fit in the gap between that and the frame of the car

smufguy
01-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I always use my 6point deep socket, swivel joint, two extensions and a breaker bar.

kentwat
02-14-2010, 07:13 AM
This post should be sticky. I did the same on my 86 accord lxi. I disconnected battery and then removed airbox assembly, you must seperate it to remove them both. Then loosen alt adjuster then top bolt in alt. Then go underneath and remove the 17mm nut and remove through bolt. Then Remove wires from alt up on top. It took me approximately 30 minutes for removal. Thanks 3Geez.com Kent

lostforawhile
02-14-2010, 07:45 AM
AUGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! IT"S ALIVE AGAIN!! DEAD POST WALKING!!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200710/20071025bd_zombiewalk_500.jpg

kentwat
02-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Only the strong survive. This post is a keeper.
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt273/kwat2008/1901olds.jpg

md7323
11-18-2010, 01:16 PM
89 Accord carb, do your selfs a favor and just leave the air cleaner alone and undo the alt and place jack under crank pully and support motor. Then remove left side motor mount and comence lifting motor should only have to go up 1.5" to get enough room to let alt come out between oil pan and drive shaft. This method only took me an hour at most to change frozen alt.
:cool:

gp02a0083
11-18-2010, 01:55 PM
i dunno about the carb'd models , but on the EFi's you can take the whole airbox off and pull the alternator out from the top

SkateK610
03-16-2011, 05:32 PM
this was a great help saved me a couple hundred $