PDA

View Full Version : power problem-HELP!

RSXtacy
11-30-2004, 05:06 AM
Ok i have a 88 LX only had it a few months, I have a power issue that i dont know what the problem is, its not a constant issue just every other day or certain times in a day. The problem is when i drive and hit the brake and lights/ all the brake lights it cuts out alll the power in the car for a split second and quickley flashes the battery light on the dash. I had thought since it seemed to do this when went it was because the one taillight was filling with water, but now I dont think thats the case as i disconncted that taillight harness and the problem still continued. I found out last night its not just the brake lights that causes this when this problem starts , anything that draws alot of juice such as rear window defgger or what ever will cut out the power to the whole car for a second. The car never dies if its running while this happens. I still think it seems to happen when its wet outside or damp. But the odd thing is i can leave it over night and come back in the morning and drive it and its fine for awhile. Any ideas? altornator? battery harness? computer? :sad2:

Oldblueaccord
11-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Might be a short.

I'd try checking conections inder the hood. the big fuse panel in there make sure everything is tight clean etc. There is a main fuse under there that could be bad or weak. Heat and corosion hurt electircal perfromance.
Those things you mention are high amp draw so there taxing something in the system.
Your car should have about 14v running at the battery termial. Thats a quick test for the altenator. Make sure the conections on the back/bottom of it are tight clean as well.

wp

RSXtacy
12-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Ok i checked all that out, the fuse box looks clean/ and tight... i did notice that the battery cables are pretty corroded.... could that be whats causing such a cut out?

Also what was this i saw in the other thread about the carberator part getting stuck causing electrical problems? what part and where do i find it? could that be causing this?

Mac
12-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Clean up the battery connections and check all the grounds. Make sure they are clean and tight. You might also want to check the condition and tension of the alternator belt. Also have your alternator and battery tested.

ACCORD EX
12-05-2004, 02:03 PM
does the engine get affected ?? or only the electrical system when the problem happens !

RSXtacy
12-08-2004, 04:49 AM
does the engine get affected ?? or only the electrical system when the problem happens !

nope the engine does not seem to be affected , latley no problem.... has not done this in a week, very strange.... I drive the car about 100 mi a day for work