PDA

View Full Version : starting problem....?

igell
11-30-2004, 01:40 PM
this is on a 87 LS accord..
the car has trouble starting after it ran for a while..

Here is the deal..
in the morning, after sitting all night the car starts fine.. then after a 5-10 min drive, turn off car... come back in 15 min and try to start it. The engine cranks, but does not start.
Wait 5-10 min.. then try it again.. and pump the gas a couple of times while crancking.. starts up w a little hesitation.

What could this be? Bad fuel filter/pump?

any ideas?

SteveDX89
11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Check to see if the choke plate on the carb is stuck in the closed position.

igell
11-30-2004, 01:54 PM
if this was the case.. wouldnt it stumble at idle...?

NeoCloud
12-01-2004, 07:20 AM
Im having a similar problem I have posted in carb tech,but the top carb plate is closed when off,open at start,and then slighly closing as it warms up.I dunno I'm about to give up,but ill be in carb tech forever probably,lol.

SteveDX89
12-01-2004, 07:27 AM
The choke flap on the carb should close when you tap the gas before you start it. It will open slightly when it starts and as the car warms up it will gradually open. If the plate doesn't open the whole way, it will stumble at idle and eventually stall. If you have a bad fuel pump, it won't start at all. They don't work selectively. You might as well change the fuel filters, it's only 10 bucks to do both. If you still have problems, check on that choke flap. It's free to check and very easy to do.