PDA

View Full Version : Key Lock Cylinder

NeubJ
11-30-2004, 03:54 PM
I was replacing the key cylinder and in the process i managed to break a little gold tab off. Its the gold plate/tab that makes contact on the opposite side of the key cylinder itself- from the key. In the pic it is to the left of the chrome housing on the top of the key cylinder (in this picture) which makes contact to a silver colored rod that pushes out and in with insertion and turning of the key.

You can also unscrew the piece I broke at the bottom with one screw and pulls down from the key cylinder housing. It also looks like it has its own wiring.

I am wondering what this piece does and what it is called. I can insert the key cylinder in the housing but once its in I cant turn the key to pull it out. Unless I put a screw driver and filddle with that silver rod I was talking about at the beginning.

After messing around with the old key cylinder I notice that the silver little rod is flush then when I turn the key it starts to protrude. When the car is running the rod stays protruded and stays in contact with the gold piece i busted off.

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/NIE/KS6410.jpg

pendejo
12-01-2004, 10:05 PM
OK, are you using a new NON-OEM piece? If so, I'll tell you right now, there no way you're gonna get it to work. I bought 1 lock and tumbler set from Napa, Schucks, Knecht's, and another local company, and none would work. If you have the original cylinder lock, take it to a locksmith and see if he can fix it, otherwise I have no advise for you.