PDA

View Full Version : Code 12, Tested EGR = Results

superdesi
11-30-2004, 05:58 PM
For the past month, when started in the morning, my 86 LX-i idles at 2K and smokes through the tailpipe. After driving about 10 minutes, the engine light comes on and shows code 12. When she is warmed up, she does not smoke.

I changed the PCV valve (which was super clogged and gooey). Today I tested the EGR valve by applying 6 in/HG of vacuum. She ran really rough and the vacuum held steady and then she died (so EGR valve is working?). I then started her back up and tried the test again, however this time she ran real rough, kept the vacuum steady, but she did not die. Does that mean that the EGR valve is dirty and needs cleaning?

Also, if I try to adjust the idle to 800 at neutral, the oil light flickers? What is the exact cause of that? My oil dipstick level is right on, yet that flickering bothers me.

Low Tek
03-10-2005, 12:25 AM
where is the PCV valve?

Oldblueaccord
03-10-2005, 01:51 AM
Well the light at idle means your oil pressure is really low. that is very bad. coupled with smoke out the tail pipe and all its sounds like the motor is not in very good shape.

The EGR can be also tested by putting your fingers on the underneath of the plunger( that round thing) and seeing if you can pull up on it easily. It will feel like a speaker cone.

Coked up EGR valves and plugged PVC are signs of blow by meaning piston rings are letting oil/combustion gases into the crankcase. Get a compression test or have someone scope the motor and see whats happening.

wp

superdesi
03-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks. I donated the car to my mother's friend at the beginning of the year. I just got tired of investing time, energy and money into the car.