PDA

View Full Version : Heeellpppp

JustinEXi
11-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Ok so this is my first post on the forum .... to bad its not a good one!!!

So im out driving sat. night and i missed my turn ... so i pulled into a driveway to turn around, shifted from reverse to drive and all i heard was a clunk and then grinding ......... car wouldnt move!!! Now when i step on the gas, the frequency of the grinding increases which leads me to believe its not the tranny but i dont know!!! could be drive train mabey?? lol need help!!

I drive an 88 EXi auto (a20a3)

I have pics!!!
http://synz.8k.com/ (http://)

od2681
11-30-2004, 06:57 PM
welcome to board..
i say its tranny...
Axle????
i could be wrong...

JustinEXi
11-30-2004, 07:00 PM
well ya the mechanic told me its the tranny .... but he was just the assistant ... i called another mechanic and described the problem and he thought it was the axle and that the first mechanic was tryin to rip me off ........ so im still not sure ...... but i reaaallllyyy hope its not the tranny!!!

But if it was the tranny ... would this be a good time to do the 5-speed conversion?? .... if so wheres a good place to try and find one?

Cheeseburger
11-30-2004, 07:01 PM
welcome to board..
i say its tranny...
Axle????
i could be wrong...

and you could be Right.

SHURIK
11-30-2004, 08:13 PM
If U Want A 5spd Honda Trany Give Me The Trany Code Ur Looking For And I Will Hook U Up Cheap To It Will Be Used But Will Work I Live In Hamilton So Its Not To Far From Me And If U Want I Can Help U Do The 5 Spd Convertion For A Small Fee Of Beer And A Littel $$
By Trany Code I Mean Thier Is Like Y6 And Some Other Shit It Mostly Meand The Ratio So Tell Me What U Want I Will Hook U Up

SHURIK
11-30-2004, 08:18 PM
And If U Do It In Ur Back Yard Look At About 2 Days Solid Work Moring Till Like 10 At Night I Had To Do It In My Back Yard Cause I Was Broke And Dint Have The Cash To Tow It So It All Had To Be Done On A $36.50 Budget In My Back Yard But I Have Mor Tools Then Some Shops So It Went Prety Smoothly

Wood9669
11-30-2004, 09:12 PM
5spd swaps arent to hard, and if the trannys going its THE TIME to do it.

edit: my post count didnt go up for this post!! i was hoping to hit 201 and see if i get upgraded from DX user.. :thumbdn:

edit2: hmm now it did.. slow servers :lol:

buds302
12-01-2004, 09:18 AM
if you do a 5-speed swap its better to get the 5-speed trans that is either rebuilt or from the j-yard. but if you get the one from the j-yard then you can swipe the clutch pedal and shift linkage and cables. dont be like my brother and cut the auto brake pedal down to fit. its easier to just get the pedal from the manual car than to cut it. also if you dont want that stupid looking light tower in your guages. then all you got to do is swipe the temp/fuel guage from the same car. peace welcome to 3-geez.

p.s.: did you try to drive the car again? cause i had the same problem one time. it was stuck inbetween gears and grinded. i put it in park and then restarted the car and it was fine.

SiR
12-01-2004, 09:34 AM
If one axle falls off, the car wont move at all.

buds302
12-01-2004, 09:54 AM
true dat true dat. but it wont make it grind until all the fluid is gone. look under there and see if an axle fell out if it did (which is very unusual)then put it back in and put new fluid in it. oh yeah check the level of the fluid b fore you mess with anything.it might be low? just a thought

SiR
12-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Im not sure on Autos, but I know of a incident with a manual that it just pop out of place, but didnt fall off. Which also cause the fluid to fall off. The axles on the auto also have to "snap" in like the manuals do.

JustinEXi
12-01-2004, 06:55 PM
So i found out it was just the axle :> ... so ya a cheap repair!!!

Still may go for a 5 speed conversion but if so not till spring!!

MrBen
12-01-2004, 07:10 PM
So i found out it was just the axle :> ... so ya a cheap repair!!!

Still may go for a 5 speed conversion but if so not till spring!!

5 speed is worth it ;)

According2Me
12-01-2004, 07:40 PM
5 speed is worth it ;)

I have a 5- speed 89LX, and my buddy has a lightly tuned 88LXi automatic, I whoop him every time. And mine is bone stock.

JustinEXi
12-01-2004, 07:47 PM
yeahh i know how much 5 spds rock! ... my other car is a 1985 Z28 which is a 5 spd (storage for winter) ..... i miss driving standard terribly! But for the winter i really dont mind the auto ....

HondaBoy
12-01-2004, 08:59 PM
could it be the thing that engauges in the park position? thats a maybe. it'd be interesting to know what it really is. keep us updated on it.

JustinEXi
12-02-2004, 07:02 PM
So i got my car back from the shop 2day .... it was just an axle ...

Costed me $221 cnd ($185 US) .... so yeahhh kinda sucks but its quite a relief its not the tranny:>

Cheeseburger
12-02-2004, 07:09 PM
good to here you got her fixed

dalinxz
06-17-2006, 10:31 AM
If U Want A 5spd Honda Trany Give Me The Trany Code Ur Looking For And I Will Hook U Up Cheap To It Will Be Used But Will Work I Live In Hamilton So Its Not To Far From Me And If U Want I Can Help U Do The 5 Spd Convertion For A Small Fee Of Beer And A Littel $$
By Trany Code I Mean Thier Is Like Y6 And Some Other Shit It Mostly Meand The Ratio So Tell Me What U Want I Will Hook U Up

Could I take you up on this offer? My tranny got messed up somehow today. mines an 1988 honda accord

88Accord-DX
06-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Could I take you up on this offer? My tranny got messed up somehow today. mines an 1988 honda accord
When you dig a old thread up like this one. Look at when the person last visited the site. Looks like from April 05', your not going to get a response.