PDA

View Full Version : What does a blown speaker sound like?

87lxaccord
12-01-2004, 01:56 PM
I have all stock speakers and Im thinking I blew the right side... When there is bass it sounds lik shaking? I took the cover off and its definately shaking noise.. Something off the sort and the other side i checked didnt sound the same and ddint shake as much.. Is is blown? If so, what speakers could i replace with them.. its the two on the right that are both sounding like that.. hmmm :D

buds302
12-01-2004, 02:35 PM
it sounds like shit! buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

watch the movie "the wash" with dr dre and listen to the car with the hydralics

TheSummoner101
12-01-2004, 02:54 PM
I have all stock speakers and Im thinking I blew the right side... When there is bass it sounds lik shaking? I took the cover off and its definately shaking noise.. Something off the sort and the other side i checked didnt sound the same and ddint shake as much.. Is is blown? If so, what speakers could i replace with them.. its the two on the right that are both sounding like that.. hmmm :D
make sure your speakers arn't grounding out somewhere....

as far as replacing them, you can replace them with anything, matter of personal preference, get any 5.25" speakers, they'll fit (the screws might not line up, but u can drill them in) i put in 6.5" in front, and the magnet is a bit too big, and i have them bolted straight into the door, i removed the black plastic shit cuz it wasn't fitting, so now i cant roll my windows down all the way :(

also check the rubber like thing on the perimiter of the speaker, if its peeling/breaking off anywhere you need new speakers :)

88eyeguy
12-01-2004, 03:42 PM
6.5" ALPINE'S Alpine makes the best car speakers available ('cept for Bose if you got a lot of cash.) I have an Alpine system and the base hits real nice even w/o the subs. they bolt in fine and they aren't too deep either

accordlxi2.0
12-01-2004, 04:05 PM
another way to test is to press on the speaker in the middle if it does'nt go in easily then thats a sign of a bad speaker.

bose is good IF you have an aftermarket system.

hondamotorz
12-01-2004, 04:05 PM
a blown speaker should sound like it has a lot of static in it trust me i blown alot

POS carb
12-01-2004, 04:15 PM
plus u can usually smell that shit when u burn them up, it'll smell kind of like burnt hair or something
the blown speaker usually has very distorted bass with abnoxious mids and the cone is sometimes hard to push in and out (you can "feel" it scraping inside)

87lxaccord
12-01-2004, 06:13 PM
So im thinking 6.5 in the front and 6X9 in the back.. will i have to mod?.. I certainly hpe not! heheh

88accordalltheway
12-01-2004, 06:17 PM
youll have to mod it a little to fit 6x9s, nothing too big, youll just have to cut out some of the carpet/cardboard crap. It not that hard, i did the same but instead of making bigger speakers, i added more in the two slots that are empty closer to the center.

87lxaccord
12-01-2004, 06:19 PM
So theres no other way ? Ooh God im going to cry! lol.. so nothing fits in perfectly eh?

88eyeguy
12-01-2004, 07:29 PM
yes 6.5" speakers fit the rear perfectly, I Know that Alpine 6.5"s fit the front perfectly, even the screw patterns, but i'm not sure about any other brands. I know that sonys are too deep for the front, i tried that.

TheSummoner101
12-01-2004, 07:35 PM
try infinities shallow mount ones, the should fit....or if ur rear one is working, put that in front? the rear 6.5" fit the front, but he bolt pattern doesn't.

HondaBoy
12-01-2004, 08:32 PM
i'd bet the surround on the speaker is deteriorated. considering your car is old, thats probley it. even newer cars will have the problem of the speaker's foam surround deteriorating. so it is basicly decentagrated, and the speaker is just floating around not being held in posistion. you'll just have to replace the speakers if thats the case. stock speakers arent too powerful either. as for putting 6x9's where the old 6.5's went in the rear shelf, i've done that already. i just got what they call speaker boxes if you order them. they're the base that the speaker is screwed onto. i got mine out of a newer 3gee. same holes to mount to the rear shelf. no mods required. i found mine at the junkyard.

davets
12-01-2004, 08:48 PM
am i wrong or didnt the lxi's come with 6x9's stock in the back, cause mine had them, my lx only has 6.5's

buds302
12-01-2004, 08:52 PM
only the 88-89s came with stock 6x9s i used to have an 87 and an 86 and they had 6.5s

BlueBead
12-01-2004, 09:03 PM
davets :
Every LXi I've seen has had 6.5s in the back.. I think the Sei's had the 6x9s. I'd like to get ahold of the stock 6x9 covers to hide my 6x9s.
87lxaccord :
dude; the stock speakers are 17 years old. That shit needs to be replaced even if its not blown, which it sounds like it is. It sounds like you don't really have a system as of yet, but any shallow mount 5.25 or 6.5 rounds should fit the doors. you'd probably be best off with dual cones in the 120Watt range, but the options are limitless. I've had the same pair of 120W pioneers(5.25) in all five of my cars now and they're still going strong. The rear deck is really open territory.. some guys have 8inch subs in there.... Good luck !

TheSummoner101
12-01-2004, 09:38 PM
davets :
Every LXi I've seen has had 6.5s in the back.. I think the Sei's had the 6x9s. I'd like to get ahold of the stock 6x9 covers to hide my 6x9s.
87lxaccord :
dude; the stock speakers are 17 years old. That shit needs to be replaced even if its not blown, which it sounds like it is. It sounds like you don't really have a system as of yet, but any shallow mount 5.25 or 6.5 rounds should fit the doors. you'd probably be best off with dual cones in the 120Watt range, but the options are limitless. I've had the same pair of 120W pioneers(5.25) in all five of my cars now and they're still going strong. The rear deck is really open territory.. some guys have 8inch subs in there.... Good luck !
88-89 LXi had 6x9's in the back, ive seen them. 88-89 SEi had Bose audio, yes Bose, the speaker boxes even says "BOSE". I seen that in a 3g at the local J/Y, i was going to take them, but they were freaking 4" in front, and 6x9's in back i think.

i wanted to take the steering wheel with the volume controls...but didn't have the right tools to pop off the steering wheel :(

88accordhb
12-01-2004, 10:59 PM
uhh i don't know wat everyone is talkin bout, too long to read, but blown speakers you'd just get the treble sound from them and no thump as in bass. if you messed up the coils and it's rubbin the core, you'd be really bad static. and yah, like someone said, to check for blown ones, push the center down and if it wont go down that easy, like it's stuck that's a sign. with messed up coils, it'd still push down easy.

there are tons of good aftermarket ones for cheap. i don't kno if i can trust ebay anymore, don't get the jbl components from them they suck. i'd go with hmmm alpine or pioneers, sony sucks too, the xplod speakers are horrendous! it really all depends on wat youre willing to spend. you get wat you pay for. you can go 6.5 for the fronts and backs. 6/9's also for the back. for the fronts as long as the mounting dept is uner 2 inches, youre good to go, if higher than 2(i know lots of the 6.5's are higher) then you'd have to custom fit like me so they stick out. but that looks really ugly. goodluck my friend, thank you, come again!

87lxaccord
12-02-2004, 04:34 AM
I think Im gong to futureshop now lol... the speker hook up its self is easy right? red wire with red black with black? lts hope so!@

88eyeguy
12-02-2004, 06:52 AM
the hookup is a piece of cake, took me 30 minutes to change the head unit and all the speakers in my car.

88accordhb
12-02-2004, 07:55 AM
well be safe anyways don't cross wires. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=93

snoopyloopy
12-06-2004, 10:56 PM

Maybe on the 86-87s, but not on my 88. Still have the factory speakers in, and they're 6 x 9.