PDA

View Full Version : Hood scoops! who else has one???

Dutchboy
12-01-2004, 10:31 PM
I just installed my hood scoop this weekend.!!

I got a scoop from a turbo firefly.. hahha yah i got a GM part on my honda.. i also got the rubber for the bottom .. i positioned the scoop in the middle of the hood .. well more to the top/middle.. so i can use the rubber deflector and come spring make my stock airbox somewhat of a ram air!

Who else here has a hood scoop??? and what is it off of ??
just curious to see how many 3geer's have a scoop! :)

88accordhb
12-01-2004, 10:35 PM
i had my short ram the way you did. becareful when it rains, the wheels might throw some h2o on that sucker.

the only time i would get a hood scoop with when i have a weber with oper filter like mike's car. fully functioning scoop baby!

TheSummoner101
12-01-2004, 10:45 PM
kewl good job yo!

who else has one:
A20A1 (with custom 1" carb spacer; as mentioned by CT)
Mike's89AccordLX

both tuners to the max!! lol

edit: fixed.

88accordhb
12-01-2004, 10:50 PM
no man, i meant mike as in the other mike (a20a1) both has webers but one with the open filter right on top of the tb.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-02-2004, 06:01 AM
Here's a pic of mine and you can see the intake setup I have that goes with the hoodscoop. I made a custom airbox for the hoodscoop and I dont have to worry about water problems b/c I have the air bypass valve. But in the winter I do flip my airbox so it doesn't get full of snow like last winter :)

http://www.3geez.com/vbgarage.php?do=thumb&width=175&id=197

P.S. my cardomain site has larger pics :)

HostileJava
12-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Here's mine:

http://www.3geez.com/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=177

SrvZro
12-03-2004, 09:41 AM
I gotta say that hostilejava's scoop looks nice. Its the first time that I've seen it.(been in the garage & junkyards)

Which style did you get Dutchboy? Got a link for it?

HostileJava
12-03-2004, 10:46 AM
I gotta say that hostilejava's scoop looks nice. Its the first time that I've seen it.(been in the garage & junkyards)

Which style did you get Dutchboy? Got a link for it?

There you go spanky:

http://www.carxpressions.com/exterior/ss_hood_scoop.htm

:thumbup:

TheSummoner101
12-03-2004, 12:42 PM
oh snaps almost forgot to mention HostileJava b4 haha gra8 looking car yo.

HondaBoy
12-03-2004, 03:53 PM
well i dont have one, but i want one or two. not big ones, but small old school turbo style scoops. they have em on JCW.com, and they arent very much last time i looked. i may put some on when i get a new hood. my friend has one on his Audi coupe, its off an 80's 300ZX turbo.

JustinEXi
12-04-2004, 03:22 PM
ohhhhhhhh stick on hood scoops all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.synz.8k.com/

sporkHSP
12-04-2004, 05:06 PM

Garden Edger hurts me. I wish we had a smiley that was more disgraceful than the :rice: one.

HostileJava
12-04-2004, 05:37 PM

Got anything to back that scoop up?

Dutchboy
12-04-2004, 10:25 PM
I dont have any pictures yet .. plus it isnt mounted for good yet! its mounted but i havent put the little mesh in or any sealant along the bottome to take up the little tiny gap there is in between the hood and scoop.. i havent fiqured out which color to paint it yet either.. And it aint no stick on !! there is a hole in my hood and it will be functional come spring....its very wet and snowy here now so im going to wait till it dries up a bit before i shove wetness into my carb! it dont run so well on water!!! trust me Alberta gas...AKA water!

Hostile..!!
i love your car !! mine is almost the same.. i got 9 spoke 15" rims for mine and i got the same spoiler as you! and its the same color Is your paint code nh502m..( ithink that is mine.) (going by memory) How did you get a paint match for your car ????? i had some made up but it dont look near like it in the end on the car. thats why i dont know what color to paint the scoop.. it will look way out of place by painting it somewaht of the same color more than painting it black like i was thinking of!

There has got to be more people on here with scoops!!

If you dont do put one on!!! even if its not functional the looks you get are awesome! i like being different and this scoop sure adds to that.. there isnt many in my town at all....so i stick out like a sore thumb now

A20A1
12-05-2004, 01:17 AM
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3869
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3885
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3871

smufguy
12-05-2004, 07:45 AM
unless the scoop is functional, there is nothing to be proud of. And jim, u need to pull that out. Brad hates it bro :( . anyway, like said only mike and mike (damn thats weird ;) ) have functional scoop. So if yours is functional it would be awsome, if its just for looks, then :rice: :rice: :hs:

HostileJava
12-05-2004, 07:56 AM
unless the scoop is functional, there is nothing to be proud of. And jim, u need to pull that out. Brad hates it bro :( . anyway, like said only mike and mike (damn thats weird ;) ) have functional scoop. So if yours is functional it would be awsome, if its just for looks, then :rice: :rice: :hs:

Excuse me? It's not Brads car is it? I don't really give a $h1t if Brad doesn't like it :mad: . I don't like brads tailights, but you don't here me telling him to take it off the car cause they don't add any extra hp, do you? And for the last time, the nitrous is purging out of the scoop, so while it's not functional in the traditional way it serves a purpose. And even if it didn't it's my car. I swear I am so tired of people calling rice for EVERY damn thing now. While some cars really don't look right, now it's rice if you want chrome, rice if you put lighting in the car, rice if it has any stickers. I swear that's why you don't see me around this site much anymore.

Basically people call it rice cause it's not somthing they would do to there car. Well guess what, it's not you're car so :blah:

I'm sorry if I came off a little strong, but I'm tired of the bashing. I know I've done some myself, but let it go people.

As far as functionality goes, here's your stupid functionality:

http://hostilejava.com/temp/nx/DSC00538.JPG

smufguy
12-05-2004, 09:57 AM
lol jimmy, its not bad man. We were just joking around and he does not mind buddy. Besides like u said, its ur car now not his. I was just teasing you cause i dont get to see u much anymore either. You are a busy since the new baby i guess :( all 3geers are lonely without the master computer mind ;)

Nice to see you finally got the nitrous hooked up man. Oh wait, ur running full fuel pressure constant?

HostileJava
12-06-2004, 07:32 AM
I'm sorry if I went off on you, I'm just so tired of hearing everyone cry rice.

smufguy
12-06-2004, 07:36 AM
its okay man. I understand what you meant by it. So when is te car gonna be back on the road? i wanna see it sometime soon :D been a while, but again ur busy so i guess it will have to sit out this winter.

HostileJava
12-06-2004, 08:06 AM
its okay man. I understand what you meant by it. So when is te car gonna be back on the road? i wanna see it sometime soon :D been a while, but again ur busy so i guess it will have to sit out this winter.

Well not to go offtopic but.....

I did some work on it this weekend, got the oil all drained, I got the bearings and everything for the bottom end from honda now and the new crank from vinny. I mounted hoodpins on it, also just went through cleaned up alot of the wires, ran the wires for the bottle warmer and drilled holes for the mounts for the nitrous bottle. It's slowly coming along.

smufguy
12-06-2004, 11:18 AM
offtopic: wow jimmy. you are doing a lot of work. IMO you should keep the other block for spare parts. I wish i could stop by and help you do this bro. my last semester is just too much time consuming. I just cant wait to see it drive around next meet. hopefully next year will be all cool.

MarioBurke
12-08-2004, 01:32 AM
This was my hood scoop.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/436000-436999/436530_116_full.jpg

I miss her soo....

AccordArizona89
12-12-2004, 05:44 PM
we do too :redx:

zero.counter
12-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Mario's hood scoop was the best, imho. Mike's was the coolest as far as functionality. But I like them on RX7s, Scoobys, and muscle cars!

Jim, it's all good. If you are rice, then don't worry about it. The whole "rice" calling thing is kind of stupid, but in order to get it, you have to understand both sides of the story. It is just an opinion, and if it is not favorable towards your case, just ignore anyone calling that or agree with them by saying, "thanks, that is exactly what I was trying to do....:rolleyes: "

OFFTOPIC: What do you think about the DFI "LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb" NVIDIA nForce3 250GB Chipset Motherboard? I will prolly be getting it for christmas from the wife.

MarioBurke
12-12-2004, 11:17 PM
I dont know whats up with Cardomain lately.

blazin3gen
12-12-2004, 11:34 PM
cardomain = teh gay

HostileJava
12-13-2004, 08:46 AM
OFFTOPIC: What do you think about the DFI "LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb" NVIDIA nForce3 250GB Chipset Motherboard? I will prolly be getting it for christmas from the wife.

I"ve never been a huge fan of DFI boards. We do use and sell them here at work, but a while ago a bad design flaw in one of the boards that we had used in alot of systems caused us to have to call quite a few customers and exchange/replace boards at no cost. Like I said we still carry them but don't push them nearly as much. I'm sure that most of there boards are decent but that incident put me off. But I am a big fan of the Nforce chipset. I honestly feel that you can't go wrong with it. I also feel that an Athlon64 is now the way to go for a proc upgrade. With Microsoft's 64bit version of XP for the Athlon coming out shortly and it being a free trade in for the 32bit version it just makes sense.

my86dx4dr
12-13-2004, 09:42 AM
This was my hood scoop.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/436000-436999/436530_116_full.jpg

I miss her soo....
In a non functioning way that would be rice to many. But i dont give a shit because that looks 100% badass! and i AGREE with hostilejava. people need to shut the fuck up! Alot of bashing is going on and it makes it rediulous. jesus christ people our cars came with a20 engines. its hard to do motor work to them. so they try to get what ever they can to customize theyr cars.

If everyone called jims car rice because of that front bumper he had and the hoodscoop. then think about this. marioburke made his own lip kit out of cut bumpers. wouldnt that be rice? Yeah! in an ignorant ass way! But like i said. his car is (haha was) one of the nicest. :pc:

MarioBurke
12-13-2004, 05:25 PM
......wouldnt that be rice? Yeah! in an ignorant ass way! But like i said. his car is (haha was) one of the nicest. :pc:

she'll be back. I just got her running. Alive and kicking ass. Now i just need to pull the head off and replace the gasket. and while im under there, set the piston 1 to TDC and then get the head back to TDC. the work on the coolant temp sensor and EGR and hopefully get her to pass smog. than I gotta put a stock tranny on and swap fifth gear in the Lude tranny and find some nice CLEAN interior to replace everything in mine. and im set

my86dx4dr
12-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Great! your not selling. glad to hear man!!!

w00tw00t111
12-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Offtopic #1
What is the highest hp from our cars that you have heard of? With our engine not any engine swaps. I ask 'cause I use to go to the superhonda boards and was asking about turbo set ups for our engines. They said that our bottom end just can't hold up and will detonate. Just wondering.

Offtopic #2
I have the A7n8x delux. It's great! It's the older version but, its still a great mobo. I also have the AMD XP 3000+. I overclocked it to 173fbs. The A7n8x has ddr fsb so (173 * 2) * 13 = 4498. So I have about 4.5ghz. It's damn fast! The nforce chip is really good in my opinion. Also you mentioned the 64bit processors. I don't know about the extra money spent on them because they really can't be used to their full potential. That is unless you are running 64bit LINUX. Which you should be anyways! That utilizes it. I have heard that it is really fast!

That's just my 2 cents

smufguy
12-14-2004, 06:29 AM
Offtopic #1
What is the highest hp from our cars that you have heard of? With our engine not any engine swaps. I ask 'cause I use to go to the superhonda boards and was asking about turbo set ups for our engines. They said that our bottom end just can't hold up and will detonate. Just wondering.

From what Sean said, the stock bottom end with stock internals can hold up to 300hp at the crank

Jhonny, our fastest 3g in the world (10s in the 1/4) has 450hp+ on the stock motor with changed internals.

w00tw00t111
12-14-2004, 06:34 AM
OMG dude that is awesome! 450hp and 10's in the 1/4. That is extremely good expecially for a fwd car. Man I want 450hp. Did he just boost the heck out of it?

smufguy
12-14-2004, 08:31 AM
OMG dude that is awesome! 450hp and 10's in the 1/4. That is extremely good expecially for a fwd car. Man I want 450hp. Did he just boost the heck out of it?

for our cars, probably yes.

But the fastest fwd is a saturn ion driven by Lisa Kubo running high 7s in the quarter. I have not seen her loose once (unless it was a mechanical failure).

HostileJava
12-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Offtopic #1

Offtopic #2
I have the A7n8x delux. It's great! It's the older version but, its still a great mobo. I also have the AMD XP 3000+. I overclocked it to 173fbs. The A7n8x has ddr fsb so (173 * 2) * 13 = 4498. So I have about 4.5ghz. It's damn fast! The nforce chip is really good in my opinion. Also you mentioned the 64bit processors. I don't know about the extra money spent on them because they really can't be used to their full potential. That is unless you are running 64bit LINUX. Which you should be anyways! That utilizes it. I have heard that it is really fast!

That's just my 2 cents

I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm very familiar with that board and unless you are heavily cooling the Northbridge there is no way you are pushing the FSB that high. It's just not stable. Not only that but you must being killing your PCI cards seeing as there is no seperate setting for the FSB and the PCI Clock.

As far as the 64bit Procs, no they can't be used to there full potential right now, but Microsoft has a RC of the 64bit version out and you will be able to trade your 32bit liscence for a 64bit when it comes out.

Whoa that was way offtopic.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Hoodscoops guys lets stay on topics ;) Yeah I have one....

dub88acc
12-14-2004, 04:04 PM
How can I get a hood scoop? I want something similiar to A20a1's. I also have a weber. But will the hood scoop make much of a difference?

A20A1
12-14-2004, 04:40 PM
You need height about 3" and lenght about 9" to get a good amount of air.

I say get a WRX scoop... I'm going that route.. the scoop I have now doesn't compare to the other taller ones I've made... it just looks better.

If you still have the stock air box lid you can use that for the base of the carb box... cover up any holes in the lid and cut a hole for the weber to fit thru.
Then get an old filter (may have to double up on the fitler to get enough height) to act as a wall for the box but seal the filter element by wrapping a thin sheet of rubber around the outside and epoxy it to the top and bottom rubber surface of the filter so it doesn't let out air.
Next epoxy on some window trim along the top edge of the filter.
close the hood and look thru the scoop for cracks.
If it doesn't seal right along the back edge of the box... then you can tilt the lid forward and get longer screws to secure the back of the lid to the carb... but add aluminum spacers between the lid and the carb so it can prop the lid up at an angle.
Seal any new gaps between the carb and the air box lid.

You can also use the weber box... and buy a taller filter (2.5" tall I believe) kit like I have and you'll get a spare lid... depending on the kit.
Cut a hole in the lid for the air to come thru... epoxy trim along the top edges of the lid be careful not to cover the dips in the lid where the clips snap into place.
No need to epoxy the rubber sheet to the filter since the lid and the clips will clamp everything in place.

BlueBead
12-14-2004, 07:21 PM
I like Mario's the best... so clean and flows with the body style:
What did you use for yours Mario?

I have a spare hood and lots of spare time right now so I'm gonna have to get some shite done to it before I run off and get it painted this spring.
I'm gonna run it into my FI with som e kind of K&N setup I think, but I'll do details later..

A20A1
12-14-2004, 11:44 PM
Thats a cowl scoop not really a ram scoop. search for for cowl induction on the net.

this is what I want, tall enough to catch air.
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subext/04STIreverse.jpg

Or this hood vent
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subext/04STIreverseb.jpg

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subext.htm

MarioBurke
12-15-2004, 06:09 AM
I like Mario's the best... so clean and flows with the body style:
What did you use for yours Mario?

I have a spare hood and lots of spare time right now so I'm gonna have to get some shite done to it before I run off and get it painted this spring.
I'm gonna run it into my FI with som e kind of K&N setup I think, but I'll do details later..

83 Ford Mustang LX scoop, turned backwards.

personaly, A20, your not gonna find many 'scoops' that flow with the car due to the angles and downward slope of the hood.

smufguy
12-15-2004, 06:50 AM
mike more than that subaru scoop (the second one) which is just a replacement in the stock location. I like the evo vents. Do u think its hard to make? or how it would turn out for our 3g? is there any way you can photoshop it on one of the 3gs' pic u got lying around with a evo style vent? Thanks.

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoext/cwest_bf.jpg

AccordArizona89
12-15-2004, 08:32 AM
http://www.customautotrim.com/hood_scoops/images/hs002_sample.jpg I want to get somethin like this

Mike's89AccordLX
12-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Here's a newer pic of mine. I have always wanted the big subaru scoop with the flapper door though to close off the air at any given time.

This is with my winter wheels.

A20A1
12-16-2004, 02:46 PM
mike more than that subaru scoop (the second one) which is just a replacement in the stock location. I like the evo vents. Do u think its hard to make? or how it would turn out for our 3g? is there any way you can photoshop it on one of the 3gs' pic u got lying around with a evo style vent? Thanks.

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoext/cwest_bf.jpg

Go to EREBUNI they sell that EVO vent... trouble is if you look at the size of our hood and what is listed on the site you may run into problems blending the edges to the hood.

12-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Hey guys I just finished putting a subaru legacy hood scoop in my car. I got the hood scoop from the junkyard it was like $5. Also the subaru still had the stock turbo on it when I took the hood scoop off. My car has better acceleration after I put in the hood scoop.

86LXItooFAST4me
12-24-2004, 12:26 PM
this is the kinda hood i wanted for the accord:

http://images.andale.com/f2/121/127/10579138/1096661853759_prelude88_91_invader_hood.jpg

BlueBead
01-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Not sure whose this is, but I've always like it..
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/598000-598999/598315_7.jpg
Nice all around flow.... no round curvy shite here :rockon:

smufguy
01-13-2005, 09:51 PM
those twin scoops looks like rice and always will look like rice. Anything non functional and serves no majorly purpose, is defenitely gotta be a big bowl or rice. WELL thats in my opinion tho. I would rather get the type of evo hood i posted earlier only to get the bay heat out, but other than that, no, but now i dont think i would even wanna do that.

PS: the prelude one does not look bad. but the body kit just kills it. Any photoshop master can photoshop that hood to a stock prelude please??

HostileJava
01-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Not sure whose this is, but I've always like it..
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/598000-598999/598315_7.jpg
Nice all around flow.... no round curvy shite here :rockon:

Arent' those the Lund Scoops that like "EVERYONE" has on there car?

86LXItooFAST4me
01-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Arent' those the Lund Scoops that like "EVERYONE" has on there car?

ventshade makes them too. and yeah, EVEYONE has them. truck, cars, vans... lol, i dont really care for them. although i did see a red accord with them on cardomain that looked kinda ricey, but decent.

gp02a0083
01-14-2005, 09:10 AM
yah back to the evo vents , u might wanna go another route b/c even if u wanna buy evo hood and mod it to fit the 3g i think id be nearily impossable and not even cost effective , i remember working on a evo 8 and i rmemebr looking at the R/o to get the parts to paint and i rmemebr seeing the fender was liek $400 , so the hood has to be liek at least $800 for one of those

but i did see somebody on here somewhere cut thier hood to make one of thoes reverse vents and jsut bondo-ing it and i think it was on a red 3 g

netfreak
01-28-2005, 02:44 AM
heres a pic of my prelude with a scoop:

http://carskiing.com/pwn3d_1.jpg

btw don't off-road in a prelude

my86dx4dr
01-28-2005, 02:50 AM
heres a pic of my prelude with a scoop:

http://carskiing.com/pwn3d_1.jpg

btw don't off-road in a prelude :bowrofl:

been there done that.
87 lxi + sprint springs (3" drop there) and the springs were cut on top of that to a totall of 5-6" of a drop (slammed) on 17"s ...

lets just say. Resembles your pic :rockon:

darkhonda89
01-30-2005, 09:40 PM
heres mine from the 4 runner .........half honda half 4 runner