PDA

View Full Version : RAD stop-leak

Vanilla Sky
12-02-2004, 05:41 AM
question about stop-leak and such products for your cooling systems... will they wash out when you flush the system out? i was having a very small water leak, and i flushed my nasty coolant out, and two days later, i was running a near-dry cooling system... i'm thinking that i washed something out that was holding water in... what i'm wondering is if it was a patch-fix that the previous owner did, or if the water inlet pipe was rusted out, but still holding water, and my flush just did it in...

either way, could flushing my cooling system flush out something, anything, that could have been holding the water in? i would assume yes, but i'm just wanting to make sure here before i start ripping things apart

AccordEpicenter
12-02-2004, 05:46 AM
its possible...

Strugglebucket
12-02-2004, 06:24 AM
do you have any clue as to where it's leaking from? from full to near-dry in two days is a fairly substantial leak.

86LXItooFAST4me
12-02-2004, 06:30 AM
depends on what kinda flush you used too. i know some of those flushes are VEERRYY acidic and would probly eat through a thin wall of plastic or rubber, and maybe even alumin. but yes it is possible for the flush to out any build up that may be plugging a hole.

Vanilla Sky
12-02-2004, 06:41 AM
i just flushed with plain water... i did change type of antifreeze, though...

the leak seems to be coming from the water pump inlet pipe... i think i'll go ahead and replace my water pump and inlet pipe while i'm at it... that should fix my problem... good thing a new water pump is only $25...

and as for the size of the leak, when i refill the RAD, it immediatly starts POURING out from the area behind my water pump... i know when i replaced one of my hosed bac there, i noticed that the edges of the pipe where the hose connects was pretty corroded... not to mention that every other seal or gasket i've replaced was rock hard, it doesn't surprise me...

anyways, i might as well fix it right...

thanks for the VERY fast replies

Derick

86LXItooFAST4me
12-02-2004, 06:49 AM
i hope your inlet pipe dosnet have a hole in it. i bet that think is hell to get in/out with the head on :dunno:

Vanilla Sky
12-02-2004, 06:55 AM
shouldn't be too bad... i just took one off of my parts car in like 10 minutes, and that was with me trying to take the waterpump with it... till i remember i could just pull it out... gotta remember that a carbed manifold is a bit easier to work around... especially with the vacuum lines tossed...

Vanilla Sky
12-04-2004, 05:42 AM
woohoo, the fun never ends...

i tracked my leak... it's the water pump... so that gets replaced next...

hell, i haven't even gotten it down on the ground from the LAST repair yet...

at least i still only have about $800 in it, and it's getting more and more new parts...

86LXItooFAST4me
12-04-2004, 05:54 AM
shit tell me about it. mine has been on stands for about 8 months now.... sucks dont it?

Vanilla Sky
12-09-2004, 07:03 AM
:update:

i got me a new water pump... i'm in the middle of taking the old one out... gotta have a 12mm wrench, which i have to wait until later on to get...

anyways, the damned thing is fubared... the pulley wobbled enough that the lower timing belt cover has been cut by it... and when i turn the pully by hand, it feels like a ratchet... i'm gonna say that something in it is broken... that's a safe assumption, though...

i got my car going pretty decent last night... new battery and alternator cable and it started like a dream, with the exception of its cold natured-ness...

so with the water pump, i should be reliable again...

BTW, when stop leak is flushed out, can it foam the coolant some? if it can, then i have made the deduction that me headgasket is fine... the water i found in the valve cover was leaking from the valve cover gasket and oil cap in... odd to me, as it's usually oil that leaks out...

anyways, i should be running this weekend...

Derick

86LXItooFAST4me
12-09-2004, 07:18 AM
haha, that did thte same shit to my timing belt, mine was cut to. i got a new one from majestic for $30.

sometimes you can use a SA 1/2 wrench on a 12

Vanilla Sky
12-09-2004, 10:08 AM
yeah... i found a 12mm wrench... now to get my antifreeze from the shed when dad gets home, fill the cooling system, bleed it, and i'll be done with it