PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

barber107
12-02-2004, 07:40 AM
The other day I noticed some interesting noises coming from my 87 LX-i when I got out to drop off a letter (left the car running). It sounds like clicking or ticking, but it doesn't seem to be coming from the heads or valve train and it doesn't always happen (intermittent and random). I thought it might be the injectors because I have heard people say they can make that type of noise, but now I am not so sure because the car has overheated on me a couple times.

The first time it overheated it never made it up past 3/4 of the way, but that was enough for me to wonder because I have never seen it make it up that far. Then, I was driving into work today (4.5 mile trip) and because I was late I didn't let the car warm up like it normally does. Anyways, during the drive the car made it up to its normal operating temp, but just a couple minutes later it was all the way up to the "H"!!!!!!!! I didn't want to shut it down and I couldn't have anyway because I was in the middle of city traffic so I just let it run hoping it wouldn’t continue to stay so hot. The car gods must have heard my screams and curses because it went down back to normal temp after a few minutes of being waaaaaay too hot. It then stayed at normal temp for the rest of the trip into work.

Originally, I was thinking that the thermostat must be intermittently sticking, but now I am wondering if it could be the water pump is going bad which could explain the weird noises? I know that neither part (thermostat or water pump) is very expensive or hard to change, but I have never really worked much on vehicles and I just don't have a whole lot of confidence or a lot of money to be replacing parts. It seems logical to replace the thermostat first and see where that puts me, but even as cheap as they are I hate spending money on parts that won't fix the problem and I really hate the feeling of still having a problem with my car after trying to fix it.

That being said is there an easy way to eliminate either of the parts or any tell tale signs that I could look for to be more confident that I am replacing the right part? I have done some searching in the forum and I know about placing the thermostat in water and making sure it opens at 180F, but if it is the thermostat and it is only an intermittent problem that might not indicate correctly. Would it be worth taking it to a mechanic for the piece of mind or should I just man-up and do it myself?

Of course I appreciate any suggestions and hopefully I can get this damn things fixed before it becomes a much more expensive problem.

accordlxi2.0
12-02-2004, 07:46 AM
well a bad sign of a bad water pump would be antifreeze around the water pump.
plus if you can you could try to move it to see if the bearings are bad.

the t-stat could've been stuck for that moment.

POS carb
12-02-2004, 08:30 AM
make sure your fan blades aren't warped and rubbing the radiator. if the car overheats when u stop it's usually a fan issue, if it overheats when you are moving it's a coolant flow issue, take out the thermostat and see if it still overheats. If it does you can bet on a bad water pump or plugged up radiator. If it goes away get a new thermostat (get it anyway, it's like $15 including a new gasket, any model between 180 - 200 degrees is fine)

barber107
12-02-2004, 10:12 AM
I plan on doing the thermostat tonight and hopefully that will fix the issue of overheating.

For reference, could the water pump make clicking/ticking type noises if it was going bad? Like I said earlier, the noises don't seem to be coming from the head or at least I didn't think they were. I am worried that they are related to the car overheating, but since they seem to be intermittent I am not sure. My buddy is going to help me do the thermostat tonight so hopefully I can get his opinion on it. I guess it could just be something else and a weird coincidence.

Also, what is the worst case scenario when car overheats? Warped crank? Cracked block? I am pretty sure the car didn't do any damage to itself (it didn't seem to be running any worse after the overheat this morning), but I want to know what can happen (specifics) if it ever overheats again. I know many people claim that cooling system failures can really kill an engine and I believe them, but I just wondered what the worst case scenario would be.

Thanks again guys!

Barber

nswst8
12-02-2004, 12:05 PM
The initial worse case is a failure in the head gasket otherwise known as the good ole "Blown Head Gasket" and then the other problems you have a good idea of what can happen.

Good luck.