PDA

View Full Version : what is this *cant be good*

MoDawG
12-02-2004, 06:12 PM
so im sitting in a mall parking lot listening to music. Then when Im about to start it up (didnt get to start it, still in accesory mode) it starts knocking (loud knocking) a couple times, i turned the key left and back into accesory mode and it still knocked. it did it a couple times then stopped. I drove it home no problem after that. btw its an 89 accord carburated. :thumbdn: :huh: :wtf:

Neuspeed87lx
12-02-2004, 06:45 PM
um was the car running ? are you sure it was your car ?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-02-2004, 06:51 PM
The only explanation I can think of is that the rotor in the distributor miraculously stopped right on one of the cap contacts. When you turned the key, the ignition powered on which in turn energized the coil and sent a spark to one of the sparkplugs which ignited any fuel mixture still in the combustion chamber. After you turned the key back, the car may have continued to "diesel" without the ignition on because of a rich mixture. Just my theory. :)

Neuspeed87lx
12-02-2004, 06:59 PM
not a bad thought.... but he said it happened a couple times

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Well if the engine turns over once it often causes combustion in the other cylinders, it won't run but it may spin over a couple of times. This would match what he has described as a couple of knocks.