PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned EGR Valve Today!

superdesi
12-02-2004, 10:06 PM
After getting tired of seeing my PGM-FI light coming on for the past month or so, I finally decided to remove the valve and take a closer look. It was not easy removing it since there is virtually no clearance to insert a socket, however after some time, I got the 2 bolts off and it came out without a struggle.
http://home.earthlink.net/~shehzada/images/100-0073_IMG.JPG

Both holes on the valve were tremendously caked on with carbon. The 2 holes on which the valve sits on were also caked. I used a small flathead screwdriver and removed chunks of oily and gooey carbon. I put it back together, reset the ECU, and so far (knock on wood) there is no code being thrown. The car idles much better and I notice the tapping sound is gone from the engine (sound like it was pinging). BTW, does a clean egr valve help with gas mileage?

superdesi
12-09-2004, 09:11 PM
The light came on a few days after the cleaning. Got the same code 12.

smufguy
12-09-2004, 09:38 PM
The light came on a few days after the cleaning. Got the same code 12.

you need to clean it with a carb/TB/brake parts cleaner and take off all the carbon. If nothign works still, grab another one from the junkyard.

superdesi
12-09-2004, 09:41 PM
you need to clean it with a carb/TB/brake parts cleaner and take off all the carbon. If nothign works still, grab another one from the junkyard.

I cleaned it with Gumout TB cleaner. I got it clean and put it back make sure it was seated on the gasket properly. I think the hose going from the EGR to the black box may be clogged. BTW, the checked the EGR valve with a vacuum pump and it is working properly.

HondaBoy
12-09-2004, 09:49 PM
isnt there a gasket on it that should be replaced? dont know if that would help. i'd think it would.

superdesi
12-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Yes, but the old gasket looked fine and wasnt cracked or torn so I re-used it.

smufguy
12-09-2004, 10:36 PM
superdesi: the hose going back to the vacuum box (black box) is a vacuum line, there is nothing to clean it.

superdesi
12-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Actually my was block by a little piece of crud. I sprayed it with carb cleaner and suction is way better. However, I messed up the connections going to the Constant Vacuum Valve (CVC). I forgot which vacuum hoses go where on the CVC? Would you have a picture of the CVC and perhaps could tell me where exactly line #16 ends up.