PDA

View Full Version : Wtf??

Coy
12-02-2004, 11:41 PM
note: this is an 85 accord LX

my car (85 accord, carb) has been running ritch for some time now. i got a rebuild kit for my carb because ive been told that the 84-85's dont have mixture adjustments, but i read through the carb kit and you can adjust the mixture from two screws on the top.
http://members.cox.net/the_darken_side/Carb%20Shit/carb-top-marked.jpg
its marked on the fuel window with a dot in the center, your supposed to adjust it so it touches the bottom of the dot on both. so i attempted just to get better gas mileage until i get the carb rebuilt and put on. seemed simple enough, i got the main adjusted right but i get the aux close and then it raises above the dot again....WTF?? now its doin the whole bit where it idles way way high which leads to the next problem....

when i got the car and drove it around for awhile i noticed that it had a 160 degree thermostat, didnt think much of it at first untill i got into the stop and go traffic and it would go to about 180 sometimes higher. didnt care much cause it wasnt getting too high. now its winter and its causeing problems. when i start the car after sitting for awhile the tranny hesitates or doesnt shift gears depending on the outdoors temp. so i proceeded to put a 180 temp thermo in it, before i started adjusting the carb and its WAY overheating. i know its a bit low on coolant now and that doesnt really help the situation so i expected it to get a bit hot. i took a break from adjusting the bitch ass carb and let the car cool down, when i went back it was doing the aforementioned high idle (3k, steady) and after letting it get back to operating temps it SEEMED to be smoking from the valve cover and it kinda smelled like it could have been oil. so now in trying to fix a couple of things knowing my luck i prolly screwed something else up.

shepherd79
12-03-2004, 05:48 AM
It looks like the screws are for fuel bowls level adjustments. you have two of them. that is why you need two screws.
it looks like your mixture screw may be at the same place as on our carbs. look through how to section about removing the vacuum line. it explains there how to adjust the mixture. the problem is that the mixture screw i am talking about will adjust the idle mixture or fast idle mixture up tp 3000prm i believe.

your coolant problem may be id due to air pocket.

Coy
12-03-2004, 11:02 AM
now its psewin fuel outta the cvcc valve. i dont know what to do.

how can i get rid of this air pocket, if thats it?

PhydeauX
12-03-2004, 01:27 PM
The main adjust adjusts the fuel level in the bowl that feeds the primary and secondary ventruis. The aux adjust controls the level in the cvcc ventrui's bowl. I would guess that either your aux float level is set way to high or the needle isn't seating.

There should be a bleeder bolt on the t-stat housing (trying to remember what an es motor looks like). It looks like a big brake bleeder valve. Open it up untill coolant comes out with no bubbles.

andy

Coy
12-03-2004, 07:37 PM
bleed it when its running id guess?

i got the fuel levels good again. not sure if its ritch or not though.