PDA

View Full Version : Cam cover

87_2LSi_au
07-30-2002, 06:49 AM
My cam cover looks like crap most of the original paint has peeled off. Has anyone else had this problem?? if yes what did you do??

YK86
07-30-2002, 12:44 PM
I sandblasted all the old paint off and sprayed it with gloss black high temp engine paint.

RCracer
07-30-2002, 12:49 PM
Mine came with a steel one.
Ive just got one from a 85 prelude (the breather is on the opposite side) that was in a bit of a state.
I cleaned all the paint off and was going to polish it and just paint the raised lines and the HONDA 12 VALVE but the casting will not polish up without so much effort (poor casting) that I am just going to paint it with Hi-Temp paint and polish the letters lines allong the top

87Hybrid
07-30-2002, 06:11 PM
stripped sanded and polished!
http://home.attbi.com/~login4822/wsb/media/9328/site1031.jpg

MoonScryer
07-30-2002, 06:42 PM
Another Hybrid87 original

http://home.attbi.com/~moonscryer/valve1.jpg

pimp86LX
07-30-2002, 07:01 PM
wow they really polish up nice..how much for one?

3_GENCYCO
07-30-2002, 07:07 PM
DAMN, THAT LOOKS GOOOOD!!!

87pimpsterdocious
07-31-2002, 01:15 AM
How do you polish exactly? Can it be done using a dremel?

killerb09
07-31-2002, 05:40 AM
dremel yes...

it may take you as long as 20 hrs to get a nice look....

you start by removing all teh old paint(remove teh cover from teh car)
get some paint striper from teh hard ware store pour it all over teh paint....aloow to sit about 2 mins....spray it clean with a hose

now get some sand paper differet grits from about 120-600+ adn use teh dremel if you want...or by hand makes no difference but will take less hrs with dremel...

now sand...sand...sand...sand....making sure to remove any blemishes as you go...continue to move up teh grits as you go untill you start to seea luster start...

now get some compound in a coupel different grits frmo teh parts store...use teh dremel adn go all over teh piece...

might take a while but it will eventually start to look nice...

make syre you clear coat any parts you polish if not they will look like ass in a few short days...

this will work for just about any metal part you wish to polish...wheels, intake, header, brackets, etc...etc...

good luck

ps I did the lip on my 13" wheels this way..took me about 40hrs to get teh rims loking good...

87Hybrid
07-31-2002, 05:14 PM
it is a little more difficult than that.

I start by stripping the paint off of the old valve cover with Jasco paint and epoxy remover then I sand the whole thing with 220 wet dry untill most all of the casting flaws (aur covers are full of casting flaws) are smothed over then I use 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1500 grit wetdry paper using warm soapy water and sanding each gritt in a different direction. I then go to the wheel
using the black compuond then the white and finishing off with the blue
I use these air tools to get into the smaller areas of the cover but the High speed little one leaves polishing tracks that need to be removed on the big wheel
then the whole cover is had buffed with the heavy metal to protect the cover and remove any polishing tracks that might have stayed.

Even using the power tools I spend on the average of 30 to 40 hours getting them to shine and hold their shine.

I recomend that any one polishing their own cover use the heavy metal polish on the cover on a regular basis to keep it clean and shiny.

I will do these for $45.00 + shipping but I will only sell them as I get them ready. I cannot give you any money for your cover as I pick these up for only $5.00 a piece and that is more than shipping charges.

Use the privrate message feature if you are interested.

cyboe
11-13-2002, 11:23 AM
I would go with pro polish plus metal polish , it works better and lasts a lot longer than heavy metal good luck take your time and it'll look great you can find the polish at www.crystalimagesllc.com

anchovies
11-13-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by cyboe
I would go with pro polish plus metal polish , it works better and lasts a lot longer than heavy metal good luck take your time and it'll look great you can find the polish at www.crystalimagesllc.com

Are you advertising or something :D j/k

Jims 86LXI HB
11-13-2002, 08:06 PM
This is the 3rd thread on the same subject that he's bumped, doesn't he think we understood him the first time?