PDA

View Full Version : muffler rattling

old86lx
07-30-2002, 11:49 AM
ok, i let my girlfriend learn how to drive stick on my car: mistake. heheh, after a couple days of learning, the car started making a really loud rattling sound in the back.. so i went to the muffler and checked, and it had pulled off of the 2 rubber hook things, so it was just hanging by the pipe. so i put it back on, started the car back up, but it still did it. so i checked again, and i noticed the pipe going into the muffler (not the tailpipe,but the one coming from the catalytic converter) could slide in and out.. the end of the pipe was just sitting in the muffler; it wasn't secured to the muffler in any fashion, and it's definitely what seems to be making the rattling. my question is, how is this pipe usually secured to the muffler? can this be cheaply fixed (hopefully)?....

thanks guys.

shepherd79
07-30-2002, 12:53 PM
you can take it the shop and they can weld it, or oyu can try to clump it.

DBMaster
07-30-2002, 04:00 PM
It is obviously not the original muffler. From the factory the muffler and pipe from the resonator are all one piece. When they did my replacement muffler they made a short adapter pipe and welded on end to the pipe from the resonator and the other end to the new muffler.

I would just get it welded. The clamp would probably hold, but the welding will be better. It will not cost you much just to weld that one joint.

old86lx
07-30-2002, 09:28 PM
ya, before i got this car, the previous owner had midas put a new muffler on. i'll just check into getting it welded

thanks!

DBMaster
07-31-2002, 06:05 AM
Seems like if you got the Midas receipt with the car that they should do it for free because it sounds like they "forgot" to weld that part when they replaced the muffler.