PDA

View Full Version : Electric Cooling Fans

DBMaster
07-30-2002, 01:38 PM
A friend of mine had the auxiliary cooling fan (the smaller one on the driver's side) on his 85 SEi go out. Instead of paying an arm and a leg at Honda I just installed a universal type electric fan that cost about $65. It came with its own shroud and installed with those plastic things that go through the radiator. I wired it up to the original harness and everything worked great.

My question for the techies is if you know diameters and CFM ratings on the factory fans? I have already repaired an open in the wiring of my aux fan. I didn't know it wasn't working for a long time because with the synthetic oil the engine never ran hot. The A/C works better when you are standing still when both fans work, however. I actually took the little electric motor out, pried it open, and soldered some new wires in.

Right now, when that fan runs after your turn the engine off it is a little noisy and I am thinking the bushings may be getting ready to give it up. I am looking to replace it with one of the universal type fans, but I want to get one with a higher CFM rating than the factory aux fan. I would figure out a way to install it without using the plastic deals that go through the radiator.

If anybody knows the answer please share! Thanks!

offthahook
07-30-2002, 03:29 PM
Donno, but I'm going thru sorta the same thing with my main fan (the bigger one, I think). There are 2 manufacturers-- Nippodenso os Mitsubuta; most have ND, I think. My friend manages a Carquest and they do list a UNIMOTOR for the MAIN fan; it looks like a generic fan and costs $52 with her discount. I'm sposa be getting a set from a user here that is genuine and I'll pick which one to use. If anyone can rebuild my old FACTORY one, I'd feel pretty good cuz the originals always last the longest. I think my bearings are going out cuz it rattles like a water pump crapping out when the AC is running or the temp. sensor kicks it on. Sorry, I can't be of more help, but please put it in FAQ if we can find the answer... Honda fan motors alone are like $200!!!! Just the damn motor-- no shroud or blades!! Techies holla.

DBMaster
07-30-2002, 03:57 PM
When I had the small one taken apart it looked like it would be no problem to replace the brushes, but I couldn't say how bad a job the bushings would be. I think the larger motor probably uses ball bearing because that motor runs a lot more than the small one and seems to last longer.

If you can get a motor that will work for $52 I would say go for it, or you could try one of those larger sized electric fan/shroud assemblies

accordlx
07-30-2002, 05:42 PM
Junkyard part $15 for both.

DBMaster
07-30-2002, 06:25 PM
Hey check this out. I know it's aftermarket, but it's not a bad price for the whole assembly, motor, blade, shroud, and all.

http://www.autobodypartsonline.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=13691&p_catid=877&sid=77CBJv0WP0Tl4ia-20102252505.85

They have the A/C fan listed for the same price, too.

DBMaster
07-30-2002, 06:27 PM
Junkyard price may be right, but you'll still end up with an old fan motor.

offthahook
07-30-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
Junkyard price may be right, but you'll still end up with an old fan motor.

:werd: unless you know it was highway miles or it is a lo mile car.