PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Lockout?!

bigpoppa88
12-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Hi all, I searched the archives for this peticular problem but couldn't find anyone with the same symptoms.

First of all: 89 EXI, Auto Trans.

PROBLEM: Since the cold weather here in Winnipeg, Canada the last few days (-15 celcius), from a cold start such as over night or 4-5 hours sitting, the steering will crank to the right and stay "locked" (I can crank it back but very VERY hard to do so), in that position for 2-3 minutes during warm up. I've changed the power steering pump (used one) but that didn't remedy anything. When the vehicle is warm the problem is not there. I'm suspecting the steering rack now but hoping :rolleyes: it's an easier fix.

Thanx all

Vanilla Sky
12-05-2004, 09:34 AM
may have water in the system... flush it and see if that helps...

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-05-2004, 05:12 PM
I had powersteering problem that sound similar to yours. I changed the fluid and haven't experienced the problem yet. Hopefully it won't come back. If you aren't sure about the condition of the P/S fluid, change it. I would use Honda fluid as is recommended by the shop manual. 3-4 Bottles would usually do the trick for a fluid replacement.

bigpoppa88
12-05-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks to you all, I'll try the fluid change......

Blkblurr
12-06-2004, 07:11 AM
If your wheel is going to one side and not returning as you said then the valve that controls flow to your rack is not working properly. it's called a torsion valve and directs power steering fluid to turn your wheel right or left. When you are not turning your wheel, the valve is in a neutral postion. When you turn it in either direction you cause the torsion rod to twist causing the valve to open in the direction of the wheel twist. I suspect you may have a bad seal in this valve that allows ps fluid to get past it and move the rack to one side. As the ps fluid warms up the seals become softer and will then seal causing the problem to go away. I suspect the problem will get worse.