PDA

View Full Version : Power Door Locks and Shaved Door Handles

w00tw00t111
12-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Hey everybody! My question is on my 3g I want to convert it to power door locks. I found a website that sells a conversion kit that is pretty cheap(in my opinion). The site is http://www.autodax.com/products/powerdoor/2-door-powerlock.htm. Will these work? Are there cheaper kits out there? If so can you provide links for me.

The second part of my questions is; I really really want to have shaved door handles. I mean I really want them!!! I drive my car to school everyday and I am afraid of my battery dyeing.(it died friday because I left my lights on). I found two kits one that is really inexpensive and then another that is really expensive. Cheap = http://www.airbagit-store.com/product_category.asp?id=523 and the expensive one = http://www.autoloc.com/products/shaveddoorremote.lasso. Which one should I get? Are there others that any of you have used that you are pleased with? Also in the case that my battery dies, how will I open the doors?

Any answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated!

RobT5580
12-05-2004, 03:26 PM
The first kit is fine i assume the ECU that is says comes with it has the relays built into it. Otherwise you can get just the actuators for around $5-$10 each then you will just need two relays to control them. Dont forget this is only for the power locks and you need an alarm or other source to make it a keyless entry unit.

w00tw00t111
12-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Great! So these will work. How about the shaved door handle kits any help on that would be great

RobT5580
12-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Thats more of a custom job so pretty much any kit will work as long as the pull is strong enough to release the door mechanism.

TheSummoner101
12-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Great! So these will work. How about the shaved door handle kits any help on that would be great
as mentioned before, you will need another source (such as alarm) to control the keyless entry.

you want an alarm that has "upgradable" features, and these are the typical features u want:
1. lock/unlock the car (auto enable of alarm on lock)
2. pop turnk (optional)
3. pop driver door (optional)
4. pop passenger door (optional)

this would run u somewhere in the 200-300$ range.

with poping doors, if your battery dies, ur fu<ked. solution: break window =(

another alarma features "rooling windows down" and u can rool ur windows down and open car door from inside (ghetto style) but battery problem remains. some alarms i think have a feature where they turn ur lights off...but not sure.

RobT5580
12-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Pretty much any alarm can control the power locks since they all are setup for power locks. If you want to add stuff like the shaved handles do yourself a favor and buy something decent with multiple outputs. I have the Clifford RS-6 and its awesome and i have my power locks, electronic trunk release, and will have the gas door power release hooked up when the body work is done. It has a lot of free channels to control things like that.

I have the power window control unit also but i never connected the unit. Basically im waiting to pull the interior then i will wire in all the extra features.

As for the battery you can climb through the trunk if need be. If you dont have the folding rear seat then take out the 10mm bolt in the middle between the top cushion and bottom cushion then you can use that to get in the car. I left my trunk area open so i can do this because i will be putting rear door handles on my coupe so if the battery fails i can still get in. Plus my battery is in the trunk anyway.

w00tw00t111
12-05-2004, 06:44 PM
I found this on autolocs site http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/detail.lasso?itemid=S7. It seems to be some sort of emergency release. It says on the description, "Even in the event that your car or truck's battery dies, if you mount the S7 in an elliptical hole you'll be able apply a twelve volt battery directly to the S7's terminals to activate your solenoids." I don't understand what they mean by this. Any help would be great

RobT5580
12-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Basically you would have to put a 12V source to the switch to pop the doors. Most people that use those mount them under the car somewhere so typically you could access it and pop the door. I like the idea as long as no know knows about it your set. As long as you can access the back and have a 12v source the backup would work fine.

w00tw00t111
12-05-2004, 08:31 PM
So basically when a friend comes to jump me. I would first need him to put his 12volt positive lead on the back of the button. Then I would have power to open the door. Right?

RobT5580
12-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Yeah....

TheSummoner101
12-06-2004, 04:28 PM
As for the battery you can climb through the trunk if need be. If you dont have the folding rear seat then take out the 10mm bolt in the middle between the top cushion and bottom cushion then you can use that to get in the car. I left my trunk area open so i can do this because i will be putting rear door handles on my coupe so if the battery fails i can still get in. Plus my battery is in the trunk anyway.
good idea, would have never thought of that...but i also would never shave off the door handles :)

imma try that just for fun :ugh:

POS carb
12-08-2004, 01:23 PM
for shaved handles just buy the rear door handles and install them up front. It's reversed orientation though, the rear left goes on the front right door and the rear right goes on the front left door

POS carb
12-08-2004, 01:25 PM
nevermind I'm dumb... that's a lock shave.... a handle shave is more custom, get some bondo! :b
I don't think there's a "kit" made for this car... plus our stock handles look cool anyways compared to most cars

catalin
12-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Kind of hard to see but here is a picture of my handles. It was pretty easy to do.

http://members.shaw.ca/ccapota/IMG_1342.JPG