PDA

View Full Version : Should i Be Afraid of Ebay CF hoods?

HondaBoy
12-05-2004, 06:30 PM
ok, at the moment i have my shit together. i'm wanting to get the front end of my car back to looking nice. it looks nice now, but i want it lookin great. i got the new pop-ups, fenders are nice, i need a new bumper cover and also a hood. i've looked at getting a new steel hood. by the time i buy it and get it painted, it costs more than the custom CF hoods you'll likely find on ebay. they seem like they would be nice, maybe a little tweaking to fit perfect, but they seem legit. i know i've heard some people say that they didnt like a few things about them, then many other people say how great they were. if you look at the auctions, they seem cheap until you look at shipping charges at or near $200. i know damn well shipping for a box the size you'll need for a hood and the weight charge isnt all that much. i get stuff at work much heavier and bigger boxed than the hood. anyway, i've read the feedback the sellers have got. most times its good. just dont wanna be throwing money away i guess. i really just want something different for the front of the car, so i guess this is an easy way to change the look and lose a bit of weight. i dunno, i think i need help deciding whether or not to get a hood off ebay. also, i dont know if a money order can get from here to cali in 7 days like the most of the sellers say it needs to get there.

88accordhb
12-05-2004, 07:51 PM
uhhh i don't see a reason not too, they're grade A, soo it's not like it's the best stuff out there, they're not as hard to make as the full cf hoods. soo yah i would get one but not my style when my car don't have the motor to back it.

HondaBoy
12-05-2004, 08:47 PM
right, not the motor to back it. or exactly, why i need to drop the weight for a 15 lb hood. lol. i havent seen any other hoods made for the 3gee that didnt have a fiberglass frame with cf top part. i dunno, if there's all cf hood, that would be nicer i guess.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-05-2004, 08:50 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind a fiberglass/cf hood. Its not like people will be like dude what a poser thats not all CF. :)

I would get one but I just haven't gotten the guts to do it since I have alot of other things to spend money on.

-Mike

Justin86
12-10-2004, 10:17 AM
they seem legit, might not be the best quality clear coat, but it will work.

smufguy
12-10-2004, 10:45 AM
most of all, you should be afraid of what happens if someone hits u in the parking lot or on the road. The $400 bux u spend on it is gone down the drain. Ask yourself if u badly need one. :alc:

HondaBoy
12-10-2004, 11:25 AM
to tell you the truth i dont usually park my car anywhere. if i do i try to manage parking away from the store, like at the end of the parking lot. just a little habit i have. since i got the car, it hasnt had any front end damage, mostly the sides and stuff. anyway, i suppose cf would be a bitch to mend eh? i just want to get rid of my bs hood thats dented and shit. i'm still trying to make up my mind at the moment. i have room in my budget for a body mod. i could get a header, but besides pacesetter, they are hard to get. i may get that instead though, a ceramic one made by pacesetter. i'm waiting until i can find a good deal on the hood though. i'm lookin for the lowest price for one that isnt jacked up to begin with. i'll tell y'all if i decide on it though.

wprocomp
12-10-2004, 12:39 PM
those hoods will need a clear coat-it says its got a good one but it dosent-you will have to get the hood resanded with a better clearcoat-alos you will need hoodpins to keep it down-so look to spend another $150 or so to get it right

jigga225
12-10-2004, 03:15 PM
to tell you the truth i dont usually park my car anywhere.

i dont understand.....
how can you NOT park?
i dont understand the meaning of cf hoods, i mean how much can you gain from a few(10 maybe?) less pounds. but do you want it just for looks? i guess so, do it then

TheSummoner101
12-10-2004, 05:08 PM
i dont understand the meaning of cf hoods, i mean how much can you gain from a few(10 maybe?) less pounds. but do you want it just for looks? i guess so, do it then
i dont get that either, but i like the look of a cf hood, but i wouldn't get it cuz i dont have the motor to go along with it.

so many ppl think that cf hood makes them go faster, its bs, they wight about the same, like said maybe 10-15lbs less :S

i juz think to my self, try cutting back on the fast food, thats a much cheaper solution ! lol

Justin86
12-10-2004, 09:27 PM
wel it's either a apperance statment for some one serious. Cutting down weight is a big thing esp rotaing mass. A little bit here and there adds up.

3gn86lxi
12-10-2004, 09:45 PM
I would just make sure that you get one with ROLLED edges. I've felt the plain ol cut edges, and its like nasty fiberglass shit pokin you.
The ones I've seen lately all have riveted hooks, so you dont need hood pins(which are ghey anyway!) and seem to be very high quality.
I would buy one if I had money to burn. But feeding the family is a little more important than the looks of a c/f hood.
Do it though, if you have to buy a hood anyway....why not a c/f one?
Sorry if I'm ramblin, it's Friday and I've had a few>>> :alc:

FoX
12-10-2004, 10:34 PM
well the guy asking the question said he could get it cheaper then an original metal hood. So what does he have to loose?

3gn86lxi
12-10-2004, 10:44 PM
I agree. If I needed to replace a hood, it would be with a c/f one.

HondaBoy
12-11-2004, 06:28 PM
i have a few friends that can spray some clear for me if it needs it. for christmas i'm most likely getting a new compressor with the tank and a nice gravity feed spray gun. i keep having to fix my old compressor, so i already know i'm gettin that. actually, i have a buddy that has his own body shop. he fixed my friends old hood scoop that was cracked and stuff, sanded it all down, primed painted and cleared it, then installed it. that was for $20. just sanding down the hood, preping and clearing it would be less work, so i can probley get that done for rediculously cheap. i'd really rather he do it since he does good work. anyway, yeah the hood would be nice and light weight. but i gotta just get rid of my stock busted lookin hood. i think it would add a touch of class to it, i dunno. but yeah, it is completely cheaper than a stock steel hood.

hondamanlxi
12-12-2004, 03:44 PM
do you people listen to anything i say?

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=39777

for the tenth time, those hoods are just fine! I have one on my coupe right now :pc:

smufguy
12-12-2004, 08:10 PM
do you people listen to anything i say?

lol obviously not, since in the past 10 days noboy bothered to respond to that thread. ;)

HondaBoy
12-15-2004, 09:06 PM
well if you say so hondamanlxi, then your probley right. that's the company i was probley going to order from if i do.

hondamanlxi
12-16-2004, 06:37 PM
why would you respond to a seller rating post? keep it to yourself....

HondaBoy
12-16-2004, 06:46 PM
what the hell does that mean?

smufguy
12-16-2004, 06:52 PM
what the hell does that mean?

i think he was responding to my previous post, when i asked him no one responded to the thread (to which he gave a link) and probably no one saw it. :D

Mattphi
12-22-2004, 01:03 PM
I plan on getting one from Ebay here in the next few months

HondaBoy
12-22-2004, 11:12 PM
yep that was it. i'm still considering that, the cf hood, along with a bunch of other things. i guess i should just wait till christmas is over, like sometime in january to make some decisions. by then i'll have christmas money, then i can think of how to spend it. i guess the main reason i want the hood is because i saw one on this guys AE86 a few months ago and it looks quite similar to the 3gee, so yeah i'm sure thats it, besides i think it'll look hot!

86LXItooFAST4me
12-24-2004, 05:58 AM
i got my $200 ebay CF hood in yesterday, and it is NNIICCEEEE. i mean there are like 2-3 spots were you would have to look close to see where the CF was layed kinda off. all in all its a A-/B+ quality.

Mattphi
12-24-2004, 10:30 PM
i got my $200 ebay CF hood in yesterday, and it is NNIICCEEEE. i mean there are like 2-3 spots were you would have to look close to see where the CF was layed kinda off. all in all its a A-/B+ quality.

WE NEED PICS

Underdog
12-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Was it supposed to be a B stock hood?
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/images/smilies/needpics.gif

86LXItooFAST4me
12-25-2004, 05:56 AM
hey you bastards, i'lll have pics by tuesday. and i think it said it was supposed to be A.

i already took the pics on the digital but need to transfer them to here, so hold your horses. and i cannt do it till tues, cuz its a work camara :D

HHEERRRRREEEE

86LXItooFAST4me
12-27-2004, 12:27 PM
oops..

HondaBoy
12-27-2004, 07:37 PM
ooooh, ahhhhh. pretty, now put it on you car already! j/k. to tell you the truth, i've never seen a PERFECT cf hood. i've seen really nice ones, but yeah, you get up and close with em and theres places you might not think are perfectly lined up. i think the finish of the hood is what determines the class of the hood:A,B, F'ed :rofl:. well, that ones looks nice in the pic. i'm workin on gettin my car going good, so that hood will have to wait some for me. probley not too long though.

hondamanlxi
12-28-2004, 08:43 AM
yeah theres some imperfections in my hood too. but all in all...A

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_174_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_175_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_176_full.jpg

needs washing bad /\

86LXItooFAST4me
12-28-2004, 09:24 AM
hey, show some pics of that GM, lol
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_174_full.jpg

hondamanlxi
12-28-2004, 08:11 PM
actually..................
'80 t/a (http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_10_full.jpg) 2 (http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_11_full.jpg)

:mod:

86LXItooFAST4me
12-29-2004, 12:23 PM
nice, whacha got in there? 400 SB? 350 SB? or do you got the big dady 454 BB?

HondaBoy
12-30-2004, 11:10 PM
that totally looks hot. looks good on the white car. i like how you have the trim painted all nice, the eyebrows all tinted and tinted bumper lights. about the T/A, those are bad ass. a guy that is in the little group i hang with on fridays and saturdays has one. but its souped up to hell! that thing is so fast, its rediculous. kinda shabby looking cuz its all primered, but the motor makes up for that. i always wanted a body style like that in gold with the black bird on the hood. :thumbup: on the hood!

Jay's89Lxi
01-05-2005, 06:49 PM
I've had my cf hood for little over a month now and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problems I am having. When I first got my hood it looked good, but recently it kinda looks like it has a few dents in it that weren't there before. I got the hood off of ebay from customcarbons and it was supposed to be grade A. I'm actaully thinking about taking it off and going back to stock, or just go and buy another one when I go down to Cali and see it in person before I buy one.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/spokedfleetwood