PDA

View Full Version : what is it?

Underdog
12-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Hey guys.
Quick question that's been bugging me for a while and I don't know why I haven't asked already. What is this thing in the picture that I have circled? The curved off color metal thing is what I'm talking about.
http://img75.exs.cx/img75/9017/m1udscn09362.jpg
It's only on automatics from the pictures I've seen, and there is a cable or something going through it. It also is really annoying because it gets in the way of the piping for my short ram so it's all crooked and marks up the piping too. Since I'm already typing...can a 90-93 integra CAI still be made to fit (cutting it of course) with that in the way? I hate automatics, I wish I had the know how to do a 5-spd swap :crying:

zero.counter
12-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Cut it and tell me what happens when you depress the gas pedal. :)

blazin3gen
12-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Cut it and tell me what happens when you depress the gas pedal. :)

lol ya what he said ahhaa

TheSummoner101
12-06-2004, 12:46 AM
how can it bother u if it's under the hood? :S i havn't opened my hood in days, only open it when something doesn't sound right or i wanna check something out (like oil and shit)

lol let it be, or like being mentioned, experiment and find out, then share wid all of us :rofl:

A20A1
12-06-2004, 12:58 AM
Well if it's the tv cable you may be able to route it to the pedal instead of the throttle linkage on the TB... I'm assuming thats where the TV is connected stock.

What you'll need is:
- A new longer cable the same diameter as the old one
- A cable shaft for the new cable
- Cut the original cable shaft near the trans side, this is so you can keep the adjustment part of the shaft that connects to the trans cable bracket.
- Washers
- Small diameter hose clamp
- ( x 2 ) crimp on cable ends

Crimp on the first cable end...
Pull the new cable thru the adjustment part of the original TV cable shaft and make sure it has a cable end to connect the the TV lever on the trans. Lock the tv adjustment somewhere in the middle so that you can adjust it up or down later.

Next add more shaft to the new cable and route the cable and shaft any way you like... the longer your cable and shaft is, the better... just remeber not to bend the cable too sharply when routing it.

When you get to the firewall find a hole... make sure it goes thru the fire wall and exits on the other side about the same place that the accelerator cable does... this it to make sure the cable moves and line up right or you may end up snagging the cable or snapping it.

pull the cable and shaft back out and now add a washer to keep the cable shaft from going thru the firewall... it may be better to have some of the shaft poke thru the firewall to keep the firewall from rubbing against the cable... you can do this by adding a hose clamp as a stopper and using a washer with a hole big enough for the cable shaft to fit thru.

with the cable shafts new washer butted up against the firewall take up the slack in the new cable... but do not pull hard enough to move the TV lever... the TV lever should be near the bottom when the pedal is not pressed.

now measure where you need to add the second cable end... connect the new tv cable to the same spot as your accelerator cable.

make sure the accelerator cable moves freely and doesn't get caught up on anything... if the pedal stops suddelny it could mean the TV adjustment is too tight... loosen both adjustment nuts on the trans and then press the pedal again.

also you'll need to readjust your TV cable... go back to the adjustment end of the tv cable near the trans and loosen both nuts... now press your pedal to the floor to simulate WOT... you may need an assistant to hold it for you. move the cable shaft along the cable bracket to adjust the TV lever... the lever should be 2 mm away from the top... you can measure the 2mm freeplay by lifting the lever with your finger all the way up and letting it drop on the tensioned cable. when you feel it's at the right spot lock both the nuts and release the pedal... check again for binding.

one thing to be careful of is where the new cable shaft meets the old shaft... this fault line if you will can become a pinch zone for the cable inside so it's important that you find a way to keep the old and new cable from shifting apart.

Underdog
12-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Ok, cool. But why do only automatic's have that thing there??

AccordEpicenter
12-06-2004, 12:35 PM
because automatics use it to mess with the shift points so you can upshift if you floor it etc... It also effects the clutch pack pressures... 5 speeds dont need any of that shiat

Underdog
12-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Ohhhhhh, ok. Thanks!

A20A1
12-06-2004, 07:15 PM
If you don't have it connected then the lever wont move up and you'll shift really early... if you adjust it too tight it could stop you from reaching WOT... and you'll shift really late... also too tight will usually keep you from locking the torque converter.