PDA

View Full Version : Mods you regret doing to your car.. POST!

Busted_Blue
12-06-2004, 06:15 PM
I just thought it would be interesting to see what people here have done to their car that they have regretted doing.

Let's here them!

zero.counter
12-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Back in 96', I went crazy at pep boys and purchased chrome hubcaps, chrome door edging, chrome fender flares, a pacesetter fat 3 inch exhaust tip, did my own limo tint (came out good, but was gangsta like), dropped 2 MTX 15"s in the truck with a couple of cheap wal-mart amps and a BOSS HU parading around with DJ Laz pumping all day, etc.

88accordhb
12-06-2004, 06:42 PM
painthing my inter, gettin racing floormats, and uhhh flippin the lid, but it was an expirience.

BDaccordguy
12-06-2004, 06:43 PM
I regret the fact that people had to see my 3g with a giant aluminum wing and rice-ified tails. Even though I didnt do it (were on it when i bought it) I still regret that.

Underdog
12-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Short ram intake. Should've saved and gotten CAI, which is what I'm doing now.

Busted_Blue
12-06-2004, 10:00 PM
I regret getting a Sony Deck without Mp3 in the previous year. It got stolen and I got a mp3 deck now and I love it! Makes burning a rap cd so much easier with cdrw. :)

Also regret the cheesy LED dome light. Didn't really light up my interior and now its blown :wtf:

oddysey floormats. Didnt fit so I cut the carpet to put in my car. Man o man that was ghetto. Luckily I got accord floormats now ^_^

pendejo
12-07-2004, 12:06 AM
My fart cannon. Oh, and the "custom" dent I punched in the fender!

Hash_man_Se_i
12-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Umm.... my exhaust... its loud, annoying, and looks kinda ugly, doesnt suit the car... but its a remus, lol.

AQcz
12-07-2004, 07:30 AM
H4 Conversions (Piece of Shit)

Justin86
12-07-2004, 09:13 AM
pacesetter header...........

NXRacer
12-07-2004, 09:18 AM
removing a lot of stuff i thought was unneccesary from the engine bay

TheSummoner101
12-07-2004, 10:01 AM
a while back, when i didn't have my sterio harness, i had to put in a cheap Rampage sterio in. It was not only gay, but it didn't turn on sometimes. I had to hit the little "reset" button (good ol memories).

when installing my auxilary lights, the main power (going to relay for lights) came in contact with a ground cable, man there was like a 1mili sec. light show :( (the stupid plastic on the wire melted)

Vanilla Sky
12-07-2004, 10:38 AM
for me, it would have to be buying the car to begin with... it's been a pile of shit since i got it...

AccordEpicenter
12-07-2004, 11:20 AM
sounds like a few of you guys have had serious issues with their 3g since getting it... it might have somthing to do with them being 15+ years old?? not sure. Hmm... things i regret doing to the 3g... hmm

Busted_Blue
12-07-2004, 12:34 PM
for me, it would have to be buying the car to begin with... it's been a pile of shit since i got it...

thats the best one i've heard yet.

:kekeke:

MarioBurke
12-07-2004, 12:51 PM
how bout pace setter header, pacesetter short shifter, letting the muffler shop take out the resonator, Buying bunk parts for FI swap, painting the interior parts, anything i bought from Kragens/autozone, and buying a car that is impossible to buy performance parts for!!!

A20A1
12-07-2004, 01:02 PM
1) Tossing out my cut springs... now I'm stuck with coil overs.
2) Fudging my header routing so I had to raise my car.
3) Cutting up my fairly nice 2.5" header back.
4) Installing my muffler backwards.
5) Punching a big hole thru the firewall to route my intake inside the car.
6) Removing my custom hood engine bay light

88accordhb
12-07-2004, 04:08 PM
removing a lot of stuff i thought was unneccesary from the engine bay
heheheh atleast you admit it. most pple still runnin around with tons of things removed for weightdeduction and thinks they're uber fast. hahahhahah good one caleb.

HondaBoy
12-07-2004, 06:29 PM
anything that was APC brand. now i know better. the red windshield banner that had honda on it. LX-i rims, they werent that great, as being i dont have them any more. i guess also neglecting little things that are easy to fix, like changing the oil on a more regular basis which means every 3000 miles, not much more. dont wanna get sludge in there.

MIK3
12-07-2004, 06:34 PM
4) Installing my muffler backwards.

Haha, read those and laughed man.

Oh, and to contribute to this thread...putting my K&N sticker in my rear triangle window for the 1 month it was on. How stupid... :uh:

Elijah
12-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Everything Its still slow.

AQcz
12-07-2004, 08:06 PM

That was going to be my initial response, but being that this is a 3G board I decided not to say that.

My problem isn't technical, it's just the car itself. Car is so old you can't hardly find anything for it. Next to no aftermarket support, car is old, and did I say car is old?

I change my first answer though. The biggest thing I regret doing to my car is putting an alarm with remote start on it. #1 I think the alarm is worth more than the car (definitely gets more attention: LCD pager, etc..).

Low Tek
12-07-2004, 09:22 PM

this is funny.. and I asked myself for a few.. why.. and then, I have to ask.. why?????? lol

smufguy
12-07-2004, 09:36 PM
when i first got the car and did not know about cars in 2001, i actually thought green bulbs would be cool instead of the regular bulbs on the corner lights. My friends still make fun of me for that, and the funny thing is, i dont have them anymore and it was 3 years back. But the funniest part tho, i used to admire them cause they were green, but my car was maroon. :lol:

BDaccordguy
12-07-2004, 11:54 PM
when i first got the car and did not know about cars in 2001, i actually thought green bulbs would be cool instead of the regular bulbs on the corner lights. :lol:

DUDE!!.. thats another thing i regret, i did the same exact thing. Green bulbs in the corner lights. I thought mine were the shit too.. even though my cars scheme was purple and yellow. Weird. I eventually changed them to amber tho.

diegoaccord
12-08-2004, 01:34 AM
On my Civic I regret:

Not installing my own springs
Not installing the EG6 SiR whiteface guages I ordered (had to get money back)
Buying a SOHC car
Buying a SOHC car with a weak tranny that can't even hold 135-140 HP.
Buying a SOHC car with weak axles that can't hold 135-140 HP.

bobafett
12-08-2004, 02:38 AM
i regret getting 2.25" exhaust instead of 2.5" which im sure i will end up getting eventually.

i regret the stupid 4g map sensor mod (im sure it would dyno a solid 0.000 whp)

i regret gutting the entire holy shit out of my car, now that i have "the race car" and i cant find all the parts to get my interior back together.

i regret having my friend help to open up hole in car for CAI to get thru (dremel cut off wheel + vise grips + careless buddy == teh ugliness)

i think thats about it im happy with most of the mods on my car!

keruhas184
12-08-2004, 10:00 AM
I actually regret spending money on my 17s. They did improve handling, but cringing before every moderate bump is not the ride comfort I was looking for. Also, some knuckleheads tried to jack my car, which I'm sure was because of the wheels. BTW, the wheels are for sale now. If anyone in the MA area is interested, LMK.

AccordEpicenter
12-08-2004, 10:31 AM
heheheh atleast you admit it. most pple still runnin around with tons of things removed for weightdeduction and thinks they're uber fast. hahahhahah good one caleb.

well... im running a fairly stripped out interior in the 3g... no back seat etc etc... thinking about getting the carpet out etc. I might regret that in the future... might. The 4g map sensor mod actually does richen the mixture up a bit... but that doesnt mean improved power all the time

Mike's89AccordLX
12-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Mike why'd you route the intake into the interior? Getting some sucking action from your car huh? jk Seriously why'd you do that?

-Mike

AccordArizona89
12-08-2004, 04:00 PM
- Doing a tacoma tailight conversion
- putting bodykit on
- doing body work to it
- getting a preddy big spoiler

According2Me
12-14-2004, 03:50 PM
BUYING THE TURBO ACCORD OFF EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! POS... ...ok I was just wondering how you install a muffler backwards??? lol.... that made my day...

A20A1
12-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Mike why'd you route the intake into the interior? Getting some sucking action from your car huh? jk Seriously why'd you do that?
-Mike

Going off road kicks up a lot of dirt so I decided I needed the filter in the car to keep from cloging the filter.

...ok I was just wondering how you install a muffler backwards??? lol.... that made my day...

Well when I fisrt looked over it (and I looked hard) I didn't see any flow marks... then after I installed it I was like: huh... It's backwards.

:D

It's a basic 2" performance muffler for a VW with no tip or anything. adapting it to my 3" open header was a pain... and is something I kinda regret since I fudged the merge in the process. But at least I got it quieted down some... enough to drive and not sound like a wild harley.

According2Me
12-14-2004, 06:17 PM
.....lol....thats funny. My friend did that once on purpose, and it made this weird rattling noise, then his car died...lol...goodtimes :alc:

IDTrav
12-15-2004, 09:42 AM
id like to add in here "adjustable springs". for those that don't know they're not real coilovers, just shit ones that fit from '94-'00 tegs. I bought good struts but shitty springs so the ride quality is absolute POO. I liked the idea of being able to adjust the ride height for car shows and shit but its just not worth it. the tradefoff for a shitty ride all the time is definetly not worth it.

jigga225
12-15-2004, 09:31 PM
i wish i hadn't put the midnightmoose.com H4 conversions in. they messed up my switch for my lights. now i have stinkin toggle switches. 1 for parking lights, one for headlights.. :(

POS carb
12-16-2004, 11:54 AM
1. rebuilding the auto tranny (blown again)
2. ghetto "sound-proofing" invention that left tar dripping into my trunk for months
3. expanding foam (see above)
4. rebuilding/replacing the stock carb
5. removing cruise control after removing stock carb and auto trans
6. blowing 6 amps
7. lowering it (looks nice but rides like ass now that the shocks have 3 years of abuse on them)
8. cutting the firewall for an intake
9. letting a shop work on the alternator
10. cheapass foglights that don't even add HP :lol:

Busted_Blue
12-16-2004, 11:16 PM
i wish i hadn't put the midnightmoose.com H4 conversions in. they messed up my switch for my lights. now i have stinkin toggle switches. 1 for parking lights, one for headlights.. :(

how did it mess up your switch?

sporkHSP
12-17-2004, 01:01 AM
painting the armrest console without having any idea how it shouldbe done. now i have to strip it and redo it when i make my interior black. which i hope i dont hate.

danronian
12-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Buying an Optimus amp after my supposedly intelligent friend told me to get before I knew anything about car stereos. Also, the same day, buying and installing a Pioneer HU without front RCAs, Jensen 2-ways for the front, Dual 10" Jensen subs in a bandpass box, all of which my friend told me were good to buy. At least he gave me some $300 pair of Kenwood Excellon components this christmas (damn the one side I put in so far sounds great). I also regret installing a tiny gauge power wire to my amp that just barely was enough for my supposed 200watt max amp. I regret buying the OEM sunroof from the J/y that my friend then stepped on and broke ten minutes before I would have installed it. I regret buying General Exclaims for the stock 14s that went bald in less than 20K mi. Installing cheap upper front control arms for $70 a piece that wore out in less than 2 years. I'm sure there is more....

A20A1
12-17-2004, 07:16 PM
I actually regret spending money on my 17s. They did improve handling, but cringing before every moderate bump is not the ride comfort I was looking for. Also, some knuckleheads tried to jack my car, which I'm sure was because of the wheels. BTW, the wheels are for sale now. If anyone in the MA area is interested, LMK.

15's are much nicer :)

jigga225
12-18-2004, 01:04 AM
how did it mess up your switch?
the bulbs were too high wattage and i didn't know any better.
One night, i was in the house chillin and my parking lights just came on for no reason and wouldn't go off.
THen another night, my headlights wouldn't come on.
Now I have 2 toggle switches... :thumbdn:

cdscowboy
12-20-2004, 01:14 AM
changing the interior to black without properly researching it...the paint was chipping and/or sticky
painting the moldings & taillight surrounding white and not clear coating them
4g map sensor

Guess that's about it...luckily I sold it and have the 240sx now :) And yes, sometimes I do miss the Accord. Pros/cons to each car. Took me years to get the Accord where I wanted her, and now I know what I want/don't want in a car, plus I know how to do more work.

bc86
12-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Id have to say buying my car..

First. I paid way to much.. I thought bcuz so much was new on it, I wouldnt need to spend any money, except for exterior upgrades.. Now, I must have damn near 5K invested..

Second. Paying a shop to do clutch. Now that I know wut im doing (kinda) Im a loser for paying them that much...

Third. Trying to work on my car without knowing anything.. I've screwed up so much shit ..

Forth. Cuttin out the rust in the trunk, when I dont know anything about body work.. Now I have a sheet of plywood in the trunk.. I do have plans to have this fixed, but $ is tight with xmas.

Fifth.. Im a fuckin hack.. I have no patience.. Im really trying to learn patience..

Low Tek
12-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Id have to say buying my car..

Paying a shop to do clutch. Now that I know wut im doing (kinda) Im a loser for paying them that much...

try paying $400 for the clutch, and then another $1200 on top for a "tranny rebuild" that blew out doth ends of the transfer case on the tranny. and it "just running out of the warrenty" thanks to clutch doctors for that... :mad:

bc86
12-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Ouch, that hurts man.. I feel a bit better now.. Sorry to hear about your deal though

i.c.
12-22-2004, 06:24 PM

same

sporkHSP
12-22-2004, 06:32 PM
If all of you are so sorry that you bought 3geez, then sell them and get on with your lives. this thread isnt "who hates their 3rd gen" .

AccordNut
12-22-2004, 06:39 PM
ive done a few dumb things with my car, the first was when i first got it and i heard from someone online that "pantyhose" can be used instead of your normal air filter and it would be faster, haha!!! another one was painting my air vents blue, when i have a tan/black interior....ah but its all good now.

Low Tek
12-22-2004, 07:01 PM
If all of you are so sorry that you bought 3geez, then sell them and get on with your lives. this thread isnt "who hates their 3rd gen" .

don't know about hating my car.... I love my baby.. I have kept it, even when the motor blew, and I got 3 different cars. I ended up just puttin another replacement motor and tranny.. and now I am doing the interior.. but I think as far as mods I have done.. cutting the muffler off and running with no cat is up there.. it is too loud and raspy for me.. I am goin to get something different.. but as many of you have said.. GOOD TIMES!!! :thumbup:

Vanilla Sky
12-22-2004, 09:58 PM
never said i didn't like my car, i just hate having to repair it every 10 miles... i won't sell it because i do like it... i am looking at buying a hatch, though...

Low Tek
12-22-2004, 10:41 PM
never said i didn't like my car, i just hate having to repair it every 10 miles... i won't sell it because i do like it... i am looking at buying a hatch, though...

good choice.. HB's are way more sexy IMO

Vanilla Sky
12-22-2004, 11:01 PM
yeah... i'm getting a great deal, too... konis around, skunk2 coilovers, pacesetter header and exhaust, a set of spare rear tokicos, a spare set of springs and perches (springs are different rate), and a set of DCOE45s (not installed) for $1500...

the bad though, is that it's been wrecked, and needs a new nose and RAD support, which i have all of, except the bumper... still a good deal IMO...

my86dx4dr
12-22-2004, 11:40 PM
try paying $400 for the clutch, and then another $1200 on top for a "tranny rebuild" that blew out doth ends of the transfer case on the tranny. and it "just running out of the warrenty" thanks to clutch doctors for that... :mad:
clutch doctors are a joke.
:uh:

Low Tek
12-23-2004, 01:15 AM
clutch doctors are a joke.
:uh:

so... like.. to bad I did not know this before hand... to bad i not know about this site then.. lol :uh:

sporkHSP
12-23-2004, 02:36 AM
ok sorry i see clutch doctors and i think croch doctors... i need sleep. but shops want way too much do do tranny work, i got 8-9 hundred dollar bids from everywhere i loooked to replace the clutch in my hatch. i had do leave for school or i would have done it myself, luckily i found a honda nut from a local forum to hook me up for like 500 with parts included, and i even hate paying that.

SQ is the SQUAD
12-26-2004, 01:58 PM
everything

blazin3gen
12-26-2004, 02:09 PM
everything

naw yo car is hot yo!

bl9366
12-26-2004, 03:49 PM
Got ticketed $86 after tinting my rear lights 6 years ago.

The fookin pig sounded like he did me some major charity work- "I could've ticketed you for each of your lights individually (reverse, turn signals, and brake)." :mad:

Vanilla Sky
12-26-2004, 07:51 PM
where you at bl? i thought as long as light was still reflected by the reflectors and still showed through when the lights were on you were OK... i know that's how it is written for the federal law... local is still different, though...

Neuspeed87lx
12-26-2004, 07:52 PM
paying 4 grand for a motor with spun bearings .... then spending another ...hmmm...mabey 5 grand to get it built right.....the whole motor swap thing with the civic ...ide be a rich fuck if i never did any of this

note :see avatar

pendejo
12-26-2004, 09:20 PM
When I had my muffler welded on, I was watching them the whole time, cause first the GUY wanted it to stick out 6 inches past my bumper(GAY GAY GAY). I went to smoke a cigarette cause another lady was bitching at the dude at the muffler shop. I come back in and she's getting ready to tack it on, BACKWARDS! I was uhhhh.... upset and yelled. Now, all said and done, I'm never going back there, although they quoted me $48 for a custom cat-back, just don't know if I trust them. I regret fubaring my first HU swap and destroying my $300 Pioneer:(

bl9366
12-27-2004, 12:00 AM
where you at bl? i thought as long as light was still reflected by the reflectors and still showed through when the lights were on you were OK... i know that's how it is written for the federal law... local is still different, though...

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Vanilla Sky
12-27-2004, 12:50 AM
ahh, that can make a difference...

bl9366
12-27-2004, 03:12 AM
ahh, that can make a difference...

Yeah. Things never used to be that strict until more and more jerks pulled their little shit tricks on the road and crashed and killed people. Last year a cop in Richmond BC was T-boned (got thrown out of his crusier and died) by a done-up civic who was racing and ran a red. Once that happened it's been a nightmare for ppl who want to style their rides. Now that anything that's a bit wrong (i.e. lights too bright and not DOT/SAE approved, loud muffler, too much lowering of the suspension, neon tubes) will either get you a $75 government inspection (you have to pay whether you pass or fail), an instant tow/removal off the road, or they just warn you and let you go.

See all the shit about mods here: http://www.island.net/~cihp/modify.html

carotman
12-27-2004, 10:16 PM
Well, I hated my Old performance Muffler. It sounded "Ok" in the beggining but just got worse.

Buying Tokicos instead of Konis (I got konis now)

I once had a big "H" sticker in the backglass and powered by Honda on the front doors.... They're long gone now.