PDA

View Full Version : tweo issues

89cordlx
12-06-2004, 09:04 PM
I've got 2 issues right now. One is my car is getting harder to start as it gets colder, and the other is the two hinge peices that help hold the rear triangle glass one seems to have broken so my window is jiggling alot, I need a way to fix it.could my oil change being over by about 1k miles have something to do with the hard starting? especially since it is cold out, so the oil is more viscus?

zero.counter
12-06-2004, 09:22 PM
A couple of reasons:
1. Gasoline, just like any other liquid, can evaporate less when it is cold. - You have seen this -- if you pour water onto a hot sidewalk it will evaporate a lot faster than it will from a cooler place like a shady sidewalk. When it gets really cold, gasoline evaporates slowly so it is harder to burn it (the gasoline must be vaporized to burn). Sometimes you will see people spray ether into their engines in cold weather to help them start - ether evaporates better than gasoline in cold weather.

2. Oil gets a lot thicker in cold weather - You probably already know that cold pancake syrup or honey from the refrigerator is a lot thicker than hot syrup or honey. Oil does the exact same thing. So when you try to starting a cold engine, the engine has to push around the cold, gooey oil and that makes it very hard for the engine to turn. In really cold places people must use synthetic motor oils because these oils stay liquid in cold temperatures.

3. Batteries have problems in cold weather, too. - A battery is basically full of chemicals that produce electrons . The chemical reactions inside of batteries take place more slowly when the battery is cold, so the battery produces fewer electrons. The starter motor then has less energy to work with when it tries to start the engine, and this causes the engine to crank slowly.

All three of these problems can make it hard, if not impossible to start an engine in really cold weather. People either keep their cars in heated garages or use "block heaters" to get around these problems. A block heater is a small electric heater that you plug into the wall to keep the engine warm.

BlueBead
12-07-2004, 02:53 AM
To fix your window:
Go to the Wreckers and get either the peices that you need or the whole window with those peices attached.

BlueBead
12-07-2004, 02:55 AM
To fix your window:
Go to the Wreckers and get either the peices that you need or the whole window with those peices attached. :blah:

buds302
12-07-2004, 06:37 AM
i had a battery problem one time. i bought my battery in florida where it doesnt get as cold and it has a lower cold cranking amp . got up here where it is cold and it didnt want to start. replaced the battery with one that has a higher cold cranking amp and it hasnt failed yet.

89cordlx
12-07-2004, 02:48 PM
I should be more specific about how the car starts, it turns over and all that, it's just that it takes anywhere from 3 seconds to 20 seconds to fire up. and the thing about the window, is that I can't exactly figure out how to get the window out. The peice that is broke is this small plastic peice that one of the screw goes into. So I need to find a new plastic peice. I bought out and a filter and a fram Sure Fill fixture. I suggest the next time anyone goes to autzone that they check it out, then part number we use is SD-2.