PDA

View Full Version : I'm Pissed Off

nswst8
12-07-2004, 06:10 AM
Last Dec 03 I bought PIAA Plasma Spark Blue H4 7500K bulbs. One blew a few days ago I emailed PIAA for a replacement found out that PIAA JAPAN and PIAA USA are two different entities and that PIAA USA doesn't warranty over 5000K.

Now I wish I would have bought two sets.

Has anyone tried the PIAA H4 style DC/DC Voltage stabilizer. They claim it can extend bulb life.

Any input will be appreciated.

shepherd79
12-07-2004, 06:21 AM
well, first of all, why did it blew? do you have moisture in your headlights.
if you do, you may want to get a new houseing. the ones with day light in them suck. they leak no matter how good you silicone them.
i went through 3 diff housings, and my last one, the one i have now, doesn't have day light in it. It doesn't have any moisture at all. i got it of ebay. took me a while to find it, but i got it.

now, when it comes to light bulbs, i think PIAA is POS company. they problem with their bulbs is that they have two diff out puts on high and low beams. the low beam is always high rated, but the high beam is low rated so you don't blind people. anyway, they overprice their product too.
I have RAYBRIG WHITE SONIC, http://store.racinglab.com/raywhitsonh4.html, what you see on that picture is what it will look like on the road. they are amazing, i had them for over 2 years now.

so, fix the moisture problem first, and than attac the light bulb issue.

nswst8
12-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Theres no moisture, this I'm sure of. I seeled the locking rim with a bead of silicone.

I'm wondering if I didn't get a spike in the voltage.
Mike89 accordlx has relays wired into his headlights any idea how he has this rigged.

HostileJava
12-07-2004, 09:11 AM
well, first of all, why did it blew? do you have moisture in your headlights.
if you do, you may want to get a new houseing. the ones with day light in them suck. they leak no matter how good you silicone them.
i went through 3 diff housings, and my last one, the one i have now, doesn't have day light in it. It doesn't have any moisture at all. i got it of ebay. took me a while to find it, but i got it.

now, when it comes to light bulbs, i think PIAA is POS company. they problem with their bulbs is that they have two diff out puts on high and low beams. the low beam is always high rated, but the high beam is low rated so you don't blind people. anyway, they overprice their product too.
I have RAYBRIG WHITE SONIC, http://store.racinglab.com/raywhitsonh4.html, what you see on that picture is what it will look like on the road. they are amazing, i had them for over 2 years now.

so, fix the moisture problem first, and than attac the light bulb issue.

Damn you need to call them running lights or day lights <- notice the (s). Took me like 5min to figure out what you were talking about.

What do you mean he has relays wired into the headlights? There already is a relay in the circuit. From what I remember the switch in the cabin turn on two relays, one flips the light up and the other turns the lights on. Relays won't really help you with voltage spikes though. I large slow spike will blow the relay but somthing quick will pass right through it. What you'd really need is a fast blow fuse in there.

TheSummoner101
12-07-2004, 09:42 AM
a zener diode can be used for regulating voltage. im not prticularly sure if they have one that can handle up to 40amps of current, but there is always a possiblity. these diodes are used in computer power supplys and such.

nswst8
12-07-2004, 10:10 AM
PIAA H4 Style DC/DC Voltage stabilizer (http://www.autobarn.net/pidch4stvost.html)

I would like to put something in since I plan on keeping this car for ever. and if this would help save bulbs then I guess it would be worth it.

HostileJava
12-07-2004, 12:10 PM
http://www.autobarn.net/voltagestabilizer2.html

This appears to be the same part# but 10 dollars less?

That's alot of money for a line conditioner, but to handle that much amperage you might have to spend that much.

qh187
12-07-2004, 12:32 PM
for that price you might as well get HIDs. They last so much longer. Even buying those PIAA bulbs is close half the price of HIDs.

A20A1
12-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Thats a day time running light? I thought it was for your turn signal... I bought a yellow bulb for it and hooked it up to the side markers. :(

HostileJava
12-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Thats a day time running light? I thought it was for your turn signal... I bought a yellow bulb for it and hooked it up to the side markers. :(

I think it's really there so that you can tint the color of the light coming out using another bulb and turn it off when Johny Law is around. Can I ask you how affective is that turn signal during the day when your lights are down :uh:

Let me guess, you drive around with the flips up?

buds302
12-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Damn you need to call them running lights or day lights <- notice the (s). Took me like 5min to figure out what you were talking about.

What do you mean he has relays wired into the headlights? There already is a relay in the circuit. From what I remember the switch in the cabin turn on two relays, one flips the light up and the other turns the lights on. Relays won't really help you with voltage spikes though. I large slow spike will blow the relay but somthing quick will pass right through it. What you'd really need is a fast blow fuse in there.

what he meant was city lights.
there is a little bulb under the actuall headlight that can be activated with a separate switch. it is used for show. it turns your entire headlight globe whatever color bulb you use. and yes they leak alot. iv got them and they suck! im about to go back to the sealed beam.
heres an example:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7939770691&category=33710
see how the globe has a blue reflection

3gn86lxi
12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Hey nswst8..... Check out the "headlight idea" thread. Get yourself the H4 wireing upgrade kit in that thread. I've used it for over a year, it supplys your headlights with constant 12 volts through external relays. WAYYYYYYY cheaper than PIAA's stuff and does the same thing. Basically
Maybe someone can do a link to that, I cant seem to get links to work.
Anyway, like I said it's a lot cheaper to go that route. And I run 100watt green xenon bulbs, for over a year. :alc:

Underdog
12-07-2004, 06:14 PM
I've got your back 3gn86lxi :thumbup:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7937283140

3gn86lxi
12-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks underdog. I've got to figure out the link deal.
:alc:

HostileJava
12-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Hey nswst8..... Check out the "headlight idea" thread. Get yourself the H4 wireing upgrade kit in that thread. I've used it for over a year, it supplys your headlights with constant 12 volts through external relays. WAYYYYYYY cheaper than PIAA's stuff and does the same thing. Basically
Maybe someone can do a link to that, I cant seem to get links to work.
Anyway, like I said it's a lot cheaper to go that route. And I run 100watt green xenon bulbs, for over a year. :alc:

If that link below your first post is the item you are refering to. It really has nothing to do with voltage. All it does is upgrade the wiring. This lowers the resistance. That means that more current can flow freely thus, the wires will not get as warm and the bulbs can glow brighter.

HostileJava
12-07-2004, 08:18 PM
what he meant was city lights.
there is a little bulb under the actuall headlight that can be activated with a separate switch. it is used for show. it turns your entire headlight globe whatever color bulb you use. and yes they leak alot. iv got them and they suck! im about to go back to the sealed beam.
heres an example:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7939770691&category=33710
see how the globe has a blue reflection

I'm well aware of what he meant. Read my post directly above yours.

smufguy
12-07-2004, 09:34 PM
to be honest, i hate these diamond back conversion. Yeah its a cool idea but the horrible light pattern just hurt my wallet. I paid 45 bux for used shit and they were bearly visible. I could not see shit in front of my car. With the same wattage H4 bulbs, the stock ones were way way better.

If i was gonna get a brighter headlight, i would go for the SilverStar sealed beam alternatives. they are regularly $40 a set and autozone and walmart seems to have em. get them and u will be glad.

A20A1
12-07-2004, 09:37 PM
My headlights don't go down. :D

HostileJava
12-08-2004, 06:58 AM
I was kinda thinking that after I posted. Better change your avatar then :hs:

HondaBoy
12-08-2004, 11:47 AM
i may take Alex's advise. he told me before that he's tried different bulbs and the raybrigs were the ones he liked best. i've found that if i'm not always putting my lights up and down the bulbs seem to last longer. i usually leave the lights in up position, also saves the motors. less use. i need something brighter in my H4 conversions. i was going to go with Piaa, but they are more than i'd like to pay.

superguillermo
12-08-2004, 04:52 PM
I also fell into the spiraling downhill loops of buying cheap headlight conversions from e-bay. You GET what you pay for, might as well fork out the extra cash than be diasppointed.

As far as the voltage regulator (PIAA)...way too much money!