PDA

View Full Version : Rear main oil seal...

bc86
12-07-2004, 07:24 PM
I was leakin oil so bad, mechanic said most likely oil seal.. Had alot of oil on the lower cross member (the one that runs underneath motor, from front to back) Especially around that rubber mount thing, near tranny. I pulled the motor to replace this seal, but it doesnt look like I have to.. Now, my question, there seems to b a build up of oil around that rubber block again.. Could it b seal is not set properly. I heard somewhere I was suspossed to sand something, had something to do with a grove.. I did not do anything like that. Just pulled old one, lubed up a new one, and slid her in. It took a bit, but I got it lookin pretty good. Anybody have any experience with doing these. I may have to do it again, but I dont want to have to pull the motor. Upon pullin it last time, I hooked everything up properly, but lost power to the carb, just want to avoid all other probs..

steven
12-07-2004, 07:38 PM
you can just drop the trans and take the flywheel off, it could be your oil pan gasket too, or your cam seal could be any gasket/seal that holds oil in look up where the dissy is if there oil leaking from there its your rear cam seal.

bc86
12-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Rear cam seal diff then the one I just did?

steven
12-07-2004, 07:41 PM
you did the rear main seal right? or did you do the behind the distributor?

bc86
12-07-2004, 07:52 PM
I did the one behind the flywheel... So theres on behind the dist... Is it attached to the dist, or would I have to take the valve cover off to get to it?

nswst8
12-07-2004, 07:52 PM
It probably is not the exact fitting. Honda has 2 different seals (rear main) listed for my engine.
I did the rear main with a aftermarket and its weeping, but also make sure you haven't over or under tighten the pan bolts.
Good luck

bc86
12-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Oil pan bolts??? Didnt have to remove it !!

nswst8
12-07-2004, 08:03 PM
I know that since you removed the entire engine. But how old is that gasket.
Another possibility is the Diff seals if thay are old then you could have pinced the driver side, I tried to replace them with the aftermarkets they were to big, so had to attempt to replace old ones until I could order some honda ones. They leaked like a B*t%h.

Strugglebucket
12-07-2004, 08:13 PM
It probably is not the exact fitting. Honda has 2 different seals (rear main) listed for my engine.
I did the rear main with a aftermarket and its weeping, but also make sure you haven't over or under tighten the pan bolts.
Good luck
yeah, what's up with the double listing for the rear seal? one says "(ARAI)" or something. i have a felpro on right now and it leaks a tiny bit.

bc86
12-07-2004, 08:26 PM
I did the tranny seal on the driver side... So no sanding was required?? Will a car run, if I remove tranny and clutch and fly wheel?? Then I would know for sure

Strugglebucket
12-07-2004, 08:30 PM
i wouldn't run the engine without the flywheel.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-07-2004, 09:16 PM
i wouldn't run the engine without the flywheel.

The engine will not run without a flywheel period. The flywheel gives the engine the inertia to rotate the crankshaft when there is no combustion in any of the cylinders. You can run an engine without the clutch and tranny, but not without the flywheel. Question is, how will it be started since the starter hooks up to the tranny?

Strugglebucket
12-07-2004, 09:57 PM
see? told ya i wouldn't do it.

bc86
12-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Maybe I can spin the flywheel by hand?? Doubtfull.. That would just make figuring it out so easy.

Vinny
12-08-2004, 05:27 AM
The 2 seals that Honda lists for the crank seal are the same size seals, just different part numbers. One is an old part number on is a new part number. If you look at the sizes they are the exact same, 80X100X10.

As far as you still leaking it could be anything from the seal not being evenly seated, the spring in the back of the seal could have moved, or you may not have cleaned the surface good enough.

The person who installed the motor in the coupe was given new seals and it appears both are leaking so I get to pull the tranny to change them out, again. If I see anything that may be helpful to you I'll let you know,

bc86
12-08-2004, 11:22 AM
WEll thank u