PDA

View Full Version : power steering leak

RSXtacy
12-08-2004, 05:04 AM
Ok so i now know i have fluid that leaks out. I fill it up and in a week its down a 1/4 of what i put in. Anyone have this problem? where would it leak from? Also Iv noticed stuff at walmart for this called "stop leak" for power steering fluid. Should I try this? Im leary about doing so as i see you have to use honda power steering fluid only in the car. oh ya its an 88 Lx.

BIGEEZ
12-08-2004, 05:15 AM
i am having the same thing happen to me. i wont try that stop leak. may f@ck it up. i think there is a post on it. go to how to section.

acranox
12-08-2004, 06:02 AM
it usually leaks from the rack, but it can also lea from the speed sensor, pump, resevoir, or any of the hoses. Look it all over and you should see the leak.
Mine was leaking from the speed sensor. I took the thing out, cleaned it up, put it back in and it hasn't leaked since.

carotman
12-08-2004, 09:00 AM
mine leaked from several places before I fixed it. If the pump leaks, it's usually hard to see. Check if the hood and front X member have an oil stripe on them just where the P/S pump sits. If it leaks, it will usually be from the shaft seal (easy to replace). Once the oil leaks from the shaft, it will reach the pulley and slash all around like someone spinning a soaked towel :D

You will also not see any puddle of oil because it's spread evenly all around the enginebay.

AccordEpicenter
12-08-2004, 09:18 AM
if it leaks down the front x member that usually indicates the ps cooling line in the front behind the bumper has rotted out... one of the most usual ps leaks in these cars

superguillermo
12-08-2004, 11:01 AM
yeah i had the same problem...fill up every freakin week power steering fluid. LUCAS OIL has an really good rack and pinion stop leak. It's a really thick (thicker than honey) additive that you just put in when refilling. One bottle over a two week period took care of that problem. Ofcourse, it was only a temp solution til I replaced the entire rack and pump.

carotman
12-09-2004, 09:07 AM
That front cooler line is also damn expensive... I think you could use any metal line that has the same diameter and bend it into shape (if it leaks from there)

88eyeguy
12-10-2004, 07:06 PM
I had a p/s leak start a week after I bought my car. tried some of the stop leak stuff, and it didn't do jack. both of my cars and my parents van have had p/s leaks and every stinkin time it was a hose. costs around 250 at a repair shop