PDA

View Full Version : fog light problems

88'er
12-08-2004, 02:31 PM
ok, so i got my fog lights in and had them installed. i got some toucan two in one lights, here is a pic of them http://www.spiderautomotive.com/drlito2i.html. anyways they worked great the first day then all the sudden the fog lights went out. they blew the fuse but the spot lights still work fine. i took it back to this shop i trust and he said that the bulbs they put in the fog portion of the light are too big. this just seems wrong, i mean why would they sell something with bulbs that would blow the fuse? any help on this would be great! :ugh:

TheSummoner101
12-08-2004, 03:40 PM
how big was the fuse u were using? i would say u need at least a 30amp fuse.

what could have happened: your lights sucking up too much power, and the fuse couldn't handle it, so it burned out. the fog lights i have are 55watts each, but u have 2x55watts, so its gonna draw twice as much current.

are the bulb's still fine? check to see if all the wires are good, too much current can also melt/burn the wires. make sure all connections are good. my fog lights stopped working cuz the power wire was too close to the ground wire, so it shorted out and burned off the power cable.

btw are you using a relay? check to see if its still good. relay's also have an amp limit. so get one that wont fry on you.

88'er
12-08-2004, 04:56 PM
yea we checked all that and it was fine. yes the lights did come with two relays and we even tried a bigger fuse, but it is still blowing just the flog lights but not the spots.

jonrichert
12-08-2004, 05:21 PM
how are the switches set up for your lights?

88'er
12-08-2004, 05:36 PM
they came with the set, they just plug into the harness

TheSummoner101
12-08-2004, 06:56 PM
http://www.iownjoo.com/freeimghost/cali4nia/fogLightDiagram.JPG
thats how mine are set up. is that how your sorta looks like? i didn't wanna deal with the switch, so i never installed one; instead i wired it with my low beams. so my low beams activate the realy thus turning the fog lights on when only when my low beams are on.

88'er
12-08-2004, 06:58 PM
i think so except mine has two relays and two fuses

TheSummoner101
12-08-2004, 07:00 PM
i think so except mine has two relays and two fuses
measure the voltage on the hot wire going in. also check if there is any moisture (i doubt it, but never hurts to check) sorry thats all i can help with. im sure some1 more experience will take over.

88'er
12-08-2004, 07:01 PM
cool thanks for the help man!