PDA

View Full Version : Carb idles 2 high after vacuum removal

MiKeLx
12-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Hi guys, im new to posting but i read just about every tread there is over here.

ok i did #1 vacuum removal....wow big deal....but now....my car idles to 3000 and doesnt wanna know sh** about going back down....ive tried the idle stop screw but it doesnt do shii.....im tired of this....car's been sitting 4 a week now....plz help

MiKeLx
12-09-2004, 04:29 PM
just came back from outside....do i need to reset my ecu ?

MiKeLx
12-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Oh yeah, charging light came on since ive done the mod....last week the strap was making noise at startup, loose about half an inch at 5 pounds then caugt up whitout me giving any gas, now i take her out of the garage.... Pushing it!! battery dead...,charge it, battery light comes on and wont seem 2 charge, it idles superbely nice....at 2800 steady !!! vacuum hoses are all good...it even diesels hard.....oh my goddd....i tought i had 2 lower idle....but idle stop screw's all the way out =)....alt Strap, Vacuum not right ?....i reused metal lines and followed'em carefully..gon' ditch em 2morrow..i just read about some grounds for carb idle...i'll check that tomorrow since i cleaned all my grounds,

was the charcoal canister suposed 2 go 2?, when i took out the cruise, i had 2 cut some of the wires.....do i have 2 ground the black wire?....i know may sound stupid...

anyways i guess i'll get back 2 u guys tomorrow....any words of wisdom would be apreciated.....

A20A1
12-09-2004, 08:17 PM
I'm guessing you still have the choke... and fast idle... and somehow the fast idle isn't dropping... or you kept the throttle controller and the throttle controller isn't getting vacuum or it is adjusted too high.

The throttle stop screw can't adjust idle if the throttle contorller ( AKA idle diaphragm ) is opening the throttle. The Diesel is from the high revs.

Also make sure the check valve wasn't installed backwards

other things to check is for vacuum leaks.

A20A1
12-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Also try disabling #25 vacuum advance... In the picture it says you might want to disable it to avoid knocking... it should also have said to lower warm idle speed.

The idle speed should be closer to 1000... but only after the motor is fully warm.
Is you car is reving to 3000 after it has warmed up fully from Like 30 minuets or so of driving?

MiKeLx
12-09-2004, 10:01 PM
check valve....somehow check valves's got something 2 do whit it...even once warmed....the idle just stays up there...anywayz...1st things first...n i wont rush it...

MiKeLx
12-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Check valve wasn't even plugged....found a leak 2......now car's idle is down 2 1400 whit the stop screw all the way back, something's up whit my throttle when i push it....car stutters a bit...probably an other vacuum problem but smile's back on my face....im gonna get uncle's garage 4 the weekend hook it allright....i bet if i can get this belt tight again i'll b ok

oh yeah.....when i removed the cruise n its bracket i noticed a check valve in tha bracket.....doesn it stay around ???

MiKeLx
12-10-2004, 01:22 PM
ok so now im back 2 0........metal lines are out......i wanna know
the A/c idle boost diaphragm has 2 ports...only one is shown on the diagram..also over it their is an other valve.....where should it b plugged.....and....we got the thermovale and the one comming out in the middle of the carb on the diagram.....but i have one in between those 2 whit 2 ports on em....one goes on the thermovalve......the other one ???
on the right side of the carb (passenger side) there's also a vacuum thingy yellow, avc2 whit a solenoid.....where do i plug the port comming out of it ???

i know its huge....but none of these info was included whit the diagram need this car runninnnnn...well someday
...thx

A20A1
12-10-2004, 06:53 PM
There are 2 thermovalves side by side on the right side of the manifold... in the center of the manifold is a pipe with 2 smaller ports on it... that pipe is a manifold vacuum tap. You use that tap as your vacuum source to supply vacuum to the vacuum lines running to it in the diagram.
You should double check to make sure # 17 and # 19 are connected topt he right port... in the picture the lines overlap and it looks like #17 could be on the lower port but it actually belongs to *19

there is really only one thermovavle used in the pic... the other one isn't used so I didn't show it.

The idle boost diaphragm has 2 ports cause one is for A/C and the other is just for regular idle boost, you can plug the second unused port.

The info wasn't included because I assume most people atempting the vacuum removal mod would know what to do with the unused components. Thats why I posted a warning.

The check valve in the cruize control bracket went the the vacuum holding cannister... you may want to keep the components you remove, but you don't need it to run the car.

MiKeLx
12-10-2004, 07:07 PM
That made my day =) thx